It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free yoga class shut down because yoga is now offensive

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Good.
The Bhagvadgita clearly states that yoga - meditation - is to be done in private, alone, in silence, not in a group or class.
It's fine to go to learn, but not practice - different things, the definition of which if are not understood by the "students," then they must not be learning much, really.
As with any and all spiritual or religious practices.
I took a class on religion in school - it taught us ABOUT them, not that we HAVE to BE them.
And yes, I do yoga and meditate. But as I am not of an Abrahamic faith, I am not obliged by oath to bombard everyone else with my own beliefs and systems, nor a responsibility to either condemn and/or kill anyone who doesn't adhere to my own personal beliefs!
The added benefit is that I also don't ever have to defend or explain them to anyone. Imagine that!
Lucky me!
Karma is good, karma is great.
Love and light, on and up!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I am by no means a yoga fan, but this is beyond ridiculous! "Cultural appropriation"?!?!? So, anyone one group claims, no one else is allowed to enjoy? What happened to accepting other cultures? How can you accept another culture if you are not allowed to do anything that people from that culture enjoy? What next, banning all "ethnic" foods? Oh, wait, no, restricting them to only that culture, right? So, by that standard, anything from my culture, I can demand no one from any other can enjoy? Hmmmmm.......

I wonder if the knuckleheads that promote this crap realize how far it could go, and how poorly it could turn out for them.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Abrahamic religions cannot handle competition. Some Yoga is used as a spiritual tool just like meditation for the eastern religions to increase self awareness. And you cannot be allowed to experience an alternative to blind faith when you are part of the Abrahamic religions.

If multiculturalism was that you should read all religions not matter what religion you belong and know the difference so that you have awareness then I would embrace it.

But multiculturalism is used instead as an idea that we should tolerate intolerance because all religions are equal, even if they are not when measure the behavior of the people belonging to a religion. And feelings are more important than facts. I though equality meant every soul should be treated equal based on the ideas and behavior it has and not preference points because you have chosen a unusual path?
edit on 23-11-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
In free countries where we have choice, choice itself has become offensive...

Utter, utter madness...

Yet again Radical Islam (and yes, that is where this is coming from) is given acceptance where it should be given a toe punt up the back side...
edit on 23-11-2015 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Talking about oppression, I was in Morrisons (UK supermarket) last night, there was a Middle Eastern looking man, he was dressed in very Western garb, a floppy Rasta style hat, funky styled beard, skinny jeans, basically looking like what the young call a 'hipster', trailing behind him was a woman in a full burqua (eye slits only), she spoke to him in whispers and only close up to his ear. The rest of the time she looked down at the ground but when you saw her eyes they were not happy, they were pained, every time she needed to talk to him she looked afraid / awkward.

The whole store looked at them because you could see the difference in them, him all Western and her totally under control. it was a shocking sight, you could feel the fear..

And people want to ban yoga, I think there's more pressing stuff that needs to be looked at here...
edit on 23-11-2015 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

They should limit yoga pants size to certain size

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
We should include all exercise like jogging, Weight lifting, walking, talking and especially mixing with fellow human beings. We need to be obese and half crazy with no relaxation methods.

Sarcasm.

Anyone caught doing any kind of breathing excercises will be arrested as a undesirable.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It hasn't been appropriated it was exported and accepted in many western societies. It's generally taught as a secular practice encouraged by secular medicine. It's good exercise. If you want to read more into the spiritual side of things that is up to you. No one will force the practice onto you.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Well then, I would assume that the president of India, Narendra Modi, would be up in arms about this "cultural appropriation"...

Except that he recently helped start a UN backed world yoga day.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Well, there you have it. In a world where everything is offensive, that label now includes yoga... Because some people feel that it's an expression of Western oppression and genocide over other cultures.
Insanity.

Everytime I see one of these posts I feel the need to insult someone, but in the most hardcore way possible. It is insanity, no, its more than that. But the word probably has not been invented yet to describe this crazy, whiny planet called earth.

We are being cornered like lab rats until we have no choice but to fight back. It is what THEY want afterall. They want reactions to apply their solutions. And they are doing it on every psychological level possible. Now the question remains, how long till the temper balloon pop for people world wide?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
From the source:

Staff from Center for Student with Disabilities said while 'yoga is great' there are 'cultural issues of implication involved in the practice'

This step is long overdue and I hope this starts a wildfire that bans ALL Yoga studios. Yoga is not inclusive of disabled people. It promotes able-ism. If a disabled person cannot participate, what is the point in allowing it? It is not inclusive of genders outside of the man/woman binary. Where are the yoga manuals for other genders? What if I feel uncomfortable practicing with a group of women because I no longer identify as a woman? Yoga is offensive to Islam because it promotes gestures that are already used in islamic prayer. Western Yoga is not inclusive of ALL indian traditions. Yoga is racist because it was practiced by the ancient Aryans of India. Yoga is sexist because it has been exclusively taught by white Hindu males. Yoga is classist because it was considered a practice for the higher caste as opposed to the oppressed lower caste. Ban ALL Yoga NOW!!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

There is ways to go faster but it should be avoided since it can be very extreme. Amagydala fear overload is one of them.

"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

I know you are being sarcastic and find your post amusing.

Frankly if nobody has done it we should provide yoga/exercise for disabled. Helping them to do the most of what they can if they want to and even moving part of their body so the body is exercised even if they cannot control the limb.

It should not be forced on them but they should have a right to it if they want it.

I wonder if a persons body who have become disabled due to nerve damage would still have vibration in the cells and the disconnected nerve system even if they are disconnected to the brain? I mean do the tingle effect still happen even if it cannot be controlled by the person?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

It should not be forced on them but they should have a right to it if they want it.

Well of course. That would be a much more positive approach.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

If they outlaw yoga, then only outlaws will have good posture.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I suppose that by the same reasoning, they'll also be wanting to ban Karate, judo, KungFu, Jujutso, MMA...most forms of self-defense.
Good thing they don't want to take our guns.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

Oh, let's not let logic or common sense intervene; that is totally out of order!!!

C'mon, the unwashed masses cannot be expected to use this higher order of thinking and reason!!

Sheesh!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Right after they get done banning spaghetti and moo goo gai pan as ethnicist/racist cuisine.

Can anyone say...TOFU?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Oh dear...

I'm struggling to understand what the issue is. I love yoga and the yoga pants that contain the shapely rumps that are encased within said pants (i'm a male, sue me).

As for the practice itself, why is it a problem? Is using a age old method of physical sculpting culturally insensitive? Is the act of Jogging racially offensive to African tribes whose ancestors wore down their prey by Jogging? Is the act of exercise an insult to every culture ever?

C'mon...there is cultural sensitivity and there is oversensitive nonsense. What's next to offend? Meditation?

edit on 23-11-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I wholly reject the term "cultural appropriation". It's busywork, another made-up term invented to create strife and coddle the professionally offended and whose sole purpose is to distract us from asking questions about the important issues we all face.
edit on 23-11-2015 by RoyBatty because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join