It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea level rise is no longer a threat, Antarctica and Greenland GAINING ice.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:
(post by Colbomoose removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
From a purely selfish point of view because most stuff happening abroad doesn't affect me except for trying to help in a very small way, I am going to hang myself out to dry over this one.

I live in an area where we have property worth millions and millions of pounds because its built on a sand bank. Sure its one of the most beautiful places in the UK, but we are underfunded because with property putting up the value of houses here, we actually get less back from the government of our council tax to spend on the resources the rest of the community need. I know its a tiny issue in such a huge topic so have apologised.

So if the sea level rises, my area will actually be financially better off once these 'palaces' are invaded by the drink. Sorry to be so selfish but thought I would cool the atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I read those same points on a few sources and read many others that contradicted those with other points, I am not convinced either way but I am open to being wrong

As for Global medieval temperatures being lower than global ones today, a lot of studies have been done but the problem is that we simply do not have enough data to say it with any certainty. The soil samples taken to make those analysis and not large enough in numbers in each place to be certain. Again many argue against those claims but have also not stepped up to the plate to prove it wrong.

I will continue down that rabbit hole for a while until I can be more convinced one way or another, eitherway I respect your input

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Robotswilltakeover

thats a relief.

So we can start pumping carbon into the atmosphere irresponsibly and without any regrets? I was getting really worried about the profit margins of energy producers ...

You worry about Exxon's profit margin (5%) while sipping on your Starbucks (15%).

Harte

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

You're a bit .. er .. selective in your quotation. Their project leader clearly states “We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica”. He continues to say "... it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse. If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.

So, your "anti-climate-change" stance is just that.

edit on 2-11-2015 by ForteanOrg because: he, in the heat of the moment, forgot to un-italic

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Only if you capture it and use it to power your car.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

“At the end of the last Ice Age, the air became warmer and carried more moisture across the continent, doubling the amount of snow dropped on the ice sheet,” Zwally said.

It looks like warmer air causes the increase in snowfall, although the snowfall does increase the amount of ice on Antarctica, thus making sea levels rise less. Climate change is a complicated issue. The warm air is also causing glaciers in Antarctica to melt still, but not enough to contradict the snowfall.
edit on 02amMon, 02 Nov 2015 06:08:52 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Methane is a product of the breaking down of cellulose. It doesn't matter if it breaks down in an animal's gut or it breaks down by rotting in an open field it still produces methane. Even cutting your lawn will produce methane. At least if a cow eats it some of the carbon will get tied up in the animal's body as well as in the roots of the grass as it dies back.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

thats a relief.

So we can start pumping carbon into the atmosphere irresponsibly and without any regrets? I was getting really worried about the profit margins of energy producers but now with this new info, we can breath a sigh of relief. I mean polluting our earth would never cause anything to happen, she's indestructible. I'm sick of all these hippies telling me polluting our Earth is wrong

I'll just close my eyes and ears and let future generations deal with it.

For crying out loud, this is the type of BS that that AGWarmers never seem to understand. CO2 is NOT A POLLUTANT... All that companies are doing is creating dummy companies that do not release any carbon, and might not even have any staff, and they transfer carbon credits from that dummy company AND STILL RELEASE THE SAME AMOUNT OF CO2 AND OTHER REAL POLlUTANS...

CO2 is released by every living being, even humans. When you blame CO2 for something that HASN'T BEEN PROVEN, you are simply going after PEOPLE, THEIR PETS AND THEIR LIVES and not going against CORPORATIONS... Not to mention other companies made by people like Soros, Al Gore, etc, who get rich also transferring their carbon credits to corporations meanwhile THEY ALL KEEP GETTING RICH AND KEEP EMITTING CO2 AND REAL POLLUTANTS.

The Money and Connections Behind Al Gore’s Carbon Crusade

The Forest Mafia: How Scammers Steal Millions Through Carbon Markets

People like you have closed your eyes always, because first, you don't even understand, or try to understand how climate change works, and what is really happening to the Earth.

The Earth has been going through changes, including warming since the 1600s, which is over 300 years before the height of the industrial revolution. What this means is that before anthropogenic CO2 "started to supposedly be a problem" the Earth was already warming for 300 years...

To this day the EArth's magnetic field has weakened, and it is now 10 times weaker. The magnetic north has been moving towards Siberia, and the AGWarmists don't understand that this movement causes dramatic climate changes at the poles.

There is evidence that in the past the Earth's magnetic poles have shifted within a human lifetime, and this time around the Earth's magnetic field has been weakening since the 1840s, and recently has been going wild.

There is an increase in global earthquakes, which point to these dramatic changes happening within Earth's core. We also know that despite claims of the contrary underwater volcanoes have been melting large portions of Antarctica. But eh AGWarmers only wanted to blame "mankind."

If you are going to have an opinion on a subject, shouldn't you be best informed about it first instead of blinding believing what you are being told?

edit on 2-11-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I made a thread on it and a mod threw it away.www.thenewamerican.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yup, the balance of the earth systems gets disrupted, as in too much CO2, and an ice age comes to re-absorb it into itself.

It's Osmotic baby.
edit on 2-11-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: IMDumb

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'm confused here. Ice is different from glaciers.

Glaciers take many many years, if not 1000's to form. Ice comes and goes seasonally and is relatively thin compared to glaciers that are sometimes 100's of feet thick.

When ice melts it does not cause sea levels to rise significantly.

When massive glaciers that took 1000's of years to form, are a couple hundred feet thick, and the size of Manhattan keep breaking off, then floating into warmer waters is what causes sea levels to rise quickly.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Robotswilltakeover
NASA is finally admitting that the Antarctic is overall gaining ice. Greenland is also gaining ice. Most of the world's glaciers are growing, and for anyone who likes to ski the season is beginning early this year. Everywhere that was once covered in glaciers is beginning to become colder. Expect this to be the most brutal winter the world has ever seen, but of course the "man-made climate-change" believers will say things like, "Oh, but some places get colder." Is it just a coincidence that the "places getting colder" are the exact same places that were covered in glaciers thousands of years ago?

www.nasa.gov...

The theory of AGW is officially dead. Dress warm.

I'm convinced people like you that are so flippant with regards to the way we affect the earth are legitimately evil in your negligence. This has gained mass because of increased rainfall.

The theory of your theory is officially dead. Wisen up.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is just one small part in the overall Climate Picture.

It's a bit premature to say there is no Global Warming, man made or other. Temps are going up. They've never been hotter in Vegas (Southern Nevada, not just Vegas).

Remember that the "AGW Crowd" is generally people that read Scientific articles and News from NASA and are pretty scientifically literate. The "AGW Crowd" Doesn't generally believe everything the news media tells them. They think for themselves and make informed opinions based on Data.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Also NASA'S top glacier team just did a documentary about the point of no return for ice melts. These guys have been using multi-million dollar high tech jets to monitor the melts daily.

There's enough water frozen in the ice sheet that feeds these icy giants to raise global sea levels by 4 feet—if they were to melt. That's troubling because the glaciers are melting. Moreover, a new study finds that their decline appears to be unstoppable

Here they state right on their site. NASA "Irreversible"

science.nasa.gov...

"We've passed the point of no return," says Eric Rignot, a glaciologist working jointly at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the University of California, Irvine. Rignot and colleagues have used 19 years of satellite radar data to map the fast-melting glaciers. In their paper, which has been accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters, they conclude that "this sector of West Antarctica is undergoing a marine ice sheet instability that will significantly contribute to sea level rise" in the centuries ahead.

edit on 2-11-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

To back up your point, the first sentence says: A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

To back up your point, the first sentence says: A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

Yea until I saw this documentary I didn't really understand the entire situation, but after I saw it I was not only shocked, but in the know.

science.nasa.gov...

"We've passed the point of no return," says Eric Rignot, a glaciologist working jointly at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the University of California, Irvine. Rignot and colleagues have used 19 years of satellite radar data to map the fast-melting glaciers. In their paper, which has been accepted for publication in Geophysical Research Letters, they conclude that "this sector of West Antarctica is undergoing a marine ice sheet instability that will significantly contribute to sea level rise" in the centuries ahead.

I highly recommend everyone watch it.

It was on HBO for sometime and Netflix.
edit on 2-11-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

It's interesting in less than one year they have come up with new data that contradicts the top glaciers team. smh

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Earth is ancient and has its own cycles.

Theres stone age tools and weapons just now falling out of melting glaciers.

The big melt has happened before and it will freeze up again with our without SJWs on youtube and online petitions.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I don't think the climate change deniers have understood this article properly.

1) Antarctica is not the only expanse of ice on the planet. It's good news that it's adding mass, but with sea levels rising, it means we're losing mass from other places.

2) The interior of Antarctica has traditionally been very dry, literally a desert. For there to be such increased precipitation of snowfall, that points towards some pretty serious climate changes itself. If it's snowing there, it's probably a lot warmer and wetter.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join