It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school suspends coach for praying at games and Satanists make an appearance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Recently, there was a controversy regarding coach Joe Kennedy, who liked to pray with his team at games. He was warned by the school "several" times, and has now been suspended. With pay of course.

Bremerton High School announced that coach Joe Kennedy was placed on paid administrative leave for a controversial reason. As a tradition, Kennedy would pray with his athletes on the football field after every game, and the school decided to take action after notifying him that such action was deemed illegal.

In the meantime, a group of Satanists showed up at a game with the intention of performing a ritual afterward. They had this to say...

In permitting school-sponsored prayer, the district has created a de facto open forum for religious expression in accordance to the Establishment Clause of the federal constitution which prohibits the government from preferring one religion over another. Therefore, the Satanic Temple wishes to ensure their belief system has equal access to the football field.

In my opinion, the school was right to suspend him if he wouldn't heed the warnings. And the Satanists are also correct. Our government hasn't been the best at keeping a separation between church and state, but with the many watch groups in this country now, we're starting to see a difference being made, instead of turning a blind eye to blatant disregard of the rights of those who are not Christian. Freedom of religion does not mean Christian privilege.
Link
Link 2

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The prayer is voluntary, so that part I don't really take issue with. I guess since it is on state property that is where it gets iffy. I can see where that does make it sort of sponsored by the school.

Can't help but wonder if the parents interviewed would feel the same if it what was a different religions prayer.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
He seems like a nice guy, but he admitted that he doesn't know anything about the constitution, and it is clearly unconstitutional for school employees to lead prayers on school property during school events.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think the Satanists showing up was a bit petty of them. The prayer wasn't school sanctioned and was completely voluntary, it's not like the coach was forcing them to pray. The Satanists came solely to rile people up with intentions of mocking the ones who prayed with the coach in my opinion, that's not cool. You can make a point without being a dick about it.

Is the coach not allowed to pray on his own time and are the players not allowed to pray with him if they so choose? This just seems a bit fascist to me, forcing someone's will onto others. The coach was a reasonable guy going as far as stopping prayer in the locker room because he saw that it was a case of a captive audience. This isn't fair at all in my opinion.

The main point is that the prayer was totally voluntary, just because it was performed on a plot of land owned by the school district doesn't mean the school sanctioned it and to deny someone their right to practice their religion is against the Constitution in my opinion. What's next, children aren't allowed to pray over their lunch because it's being performed on school grounds?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Attacking prayer is stupid. Even Satanists pray. People will do anything for attention, even make themselves look like morons.

If the prayer is not mandatory IMO it should be allowed.

I think the football players should organize their own prayer because the students have the right to pray so long as they don't force anyone else. This would solve the problem and the believers could still pray together.

edit on 31-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Can't help but wonder if the parents interviewed would feel the same if it what was a different religions prayer.

Exactly. What would happen if the coach were a Wiccan, and prayed to the goddess at the end of games with his students? How well would that go over? But we've been conditioned that it's ok, because it's Christian. Not any more.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Exactly. What would happen if the coach were a Wiccan, and prayed to the goddess at the end of games with his students? How well would that go over? But we've been conditioned that it's ok, because it's Christian. Not any more.

As long as its not mandatory, the wiccan faith is a peace seeking faith and it wouldn't bother me.

Praying to a higher power is universal. Even for atheist who understand prayer should see it as simply a form of positive reinforcement which has proven to help. Hence 1 million and 1 self-help books

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

As long as its not mandatory, the wiccan faith is a peace seeking faith and it wouldn't bother me.

Ok if their Satanists, Hindu, Muslim, et al? We can't distinguish whether or not they're "peace seeking". Religion is religion, and the state can't establish one above the other.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
"Illegal"? By who? Couldn't be that "illegal", if he's "suspended" with "pay". Sounds more like a political statement/phobia to me. More like scocial engineering. I bet if he was waving a rainbow flag, nobody would dare touch him. Or if "he" was a "she", girls soccer coach. Wow! But bow your head, to a "nonexistent" god? And the libs blow a gasket! It's funny how they fear, what they don't believe in.

edit on 31-10-2015 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Ok if their Satanists, Hindu, Muslim, et al? We can't distinguish whether or not they're "peace seeking". Religion is religion, and the state can't establish one above the other.

If it's not mandatory why does anyone care?

I am certain those who believe in a certain religion wouldn't involve themselves in prayer that they don't agree with. We are talking about high school students correct? If a high school student can't make his/her own decisions they have a much bigger problem then prayer.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Ugh had a better reply and I accidentally backed my paged when I hit delete.
Gist of it was

What's next, children aren't allowed to pray over their lunch because it's being performed on school grounds?

Is not an employee leading it, so much harder to say it is sanctioned.
Employees represent the school, so by them leading a prayer, to me it creates that grey area of it being sanctioned.

Also would say as him being an authority figure to these kids, he kinda always has them as a captive audience.
That is just my opinion though.
Also not a bad thing that he is an authority figure to those kids.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
"Illegal"? By who? Couldn't be that "illegal", if he's "suspended" with "pay". Sounds more like a political statement/phobia to me. More like scocial engineering. I bet if he was waving a rainbow flag, nobody would dare touch him. Or if "he" was a "she", girls soccer couch. Wow! But bow your head, to a "nonexistent" god? And the libs blow a gasket! It's funny how they fear, what they don't believe in.

It is my opinion that both the rainbow flag-waivers and the "come pray with me" religious folk need to keep their personal choices to themselves and enjoy their freedom.

I get tired of all groups of people that have to make a spectacle (often political) out of the choices they make with their individual liberty. I make my choices, but I don't advertise them. They are my choices. My freedoms. No one's business.

It would be nice if people would do the same and spare us the constant barrage of stories like this.
edit on 31-10-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
So, if the coach was a Satanist, and the Christians showed up wanting equal time, would that be petty too?

What part of separation of church and state do you not understand? The school is publicly funded, and therefore not allowed to establish or sponsor ANY religion. Especially not one over another. So if Christians are allowed, then other religions must be allowed as well. That includes Satanists.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I think the Satanists showing up was a bit petty of them.

Petty? Why? Too much fight fire with fire? I'd say it's about damn time.

The kids can meet voluntarily for prayer.

No faculty member can participate showing preference of one religion over another.

It creates an atmosphere of division and preference of one group of kids over others.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Satanism is a branch of Christianity because the only documented record of this entity has it's roots in the biblical account of the fall.

So, this government-funded public school is discriminating here and should also have the Satanists removed and if the school does not then they are in violation of the establishment clause within the 1st amendment and the understanding of the intent regarding separation of church and state.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Tolerance? When did that word, become a one way street? I get what you're saying and I agree with you. I do! But you know what? Our nation has prayer, "moments of silence " in national crises, we fly flags at half mast, rainbow flag wavers..wave all day long in parades down our main streets. Congress still allows it's first session, opened with prayer... If you don't "believe"? Don't believe. But if one doesn't? Be an adult about it, at least, enough to respect them that do. I was a Sergeant in the Army. I'm not a Catholic and don't believe in thier system. Did I mock and cause trouble for my Soldiers that where? No! I gave them as much time as I could. To get thier minds right to win and be proficient in thier duties, to be Americans, free men. We, as a nation have lost so much with this PC crap. What's a couple minutes of silence/respect/ .."Tolerance"? If there is no god and a "prayer" is meaningless. What's all the hoopla and fear about? A moment of respect for a fellow American. I know, to much to ask.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Separation of church and state was written by Thomas Jefferson to keep the state out of our religious beliefs., not the other way around. Read Jeffersons ,Wall of Separation Letter.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Satanism is a branch of Christianity because the only documented record of this entity has it's roots in the biblical account of the fall.

Depends on the sect of Satanism we're talking about Sublime. Spiritual Satanists use the word "Satan", but claim their roots pre-date not only Christianity, but all religions...

Satanism is not a "Christian invention."
Satanism predates Christianity and all other religions.
Satanism is not a "reaction to Christianity."

Joy of Satan

So, this government-funded public school is discriminating here and should also have the Satanists removed and if the school does not then they are in violation of the establishment clause within the 1st amendment and the understanding of the intent regarding separation of church and state.

They haven't removed the coach from the grounds. He still comes to games. He just sits and prays in the stands. Exactly where the Satanists were as well. As long as they remove both or neither, they're good.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Apparently the only culture not allowed in school any more is Christian and American.
Everything else must be tolerated.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: slednecktx

Separation of church and state was written by Thomas Jefferson to keep the state out of our religious beliefs., not the other way around. Read Jeffersons ,Wall of Separation Letter.

I have read it. I have read much the founding fathers wrote about religion. I've also read the constitution, and the bill of rights. I do understand what separation of church and state means.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join