It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ole Miss Students Vote To Remove Confederate Symbol From Campus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: lucifershiningone
Notice the right hates this..being told what to they can or cannot fly, but when it comes women, Muslims or minorities...they don't mind telling them what they can or cannot do.

Hypocrisy at it's best...

You mean like with guns and gay marriage and gender-twisted bathrooms? Yeah, I see what you mean.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The big deal is that the flag is racist. These students have decided collectively that they don't want that flag flying at their school. They want to put racism behind them, and in order to do that, first you must discard racist iconography.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
You mean like with guns and gay marriage and gender-twisted bathrooms?

Someone telling you you have to marry a dude or use a certain bathroom? I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This is an example of symbolictivism.

Yes, a new word. Symbolic activism. Where saying something is just as important as doing something.

Homeless in America? Buy a t-shirt and wear it on Wednesday. Just don't bother sheltering the homeless.
Hungry in America? Buy a wristband and wear it when you go out and eat. Don't bother working at a food bank.
Racism in America? Vote to eliminate the flag on campus. Don't bother with outreach programs for minorities.

Symbolictivism. You heard it here first.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Students always make the best, informed decisions, don't they? So smart, they are.

Seeing as how this post is supposed to be sarcastic, are you suggesting that the students made a poor decision here? Or are you just trying to be trollish?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The big deal is that the flag is racist. These students have decided collectively that they don't want that flag flying at their school. They want to put racism behind them, and in order to do that, first you must discard racist iconography.

Flags can't be racist. They are usually just made of cloth. Some people may use it as a symbol for THEIR racism.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

How do you know that there aren't minority outreach programs? Do you have information that we don't have or something?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Semantics. You should know by know what I mean.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

This is an example of symbolictivism.

Yes, a new word. Symbolic activism. Where saying something is just as important as doing something.

Create a new word - pretend you're saying something important...

Yeah - catchy

:-)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: lucifershiningone

There was a statement earlier in the thread (DAVID64) that made me want to say...

In another PC move, the GOP in Texas has defunded Planned Parenthood, to make themselves feel better and like they've done something to cure a problem that has no quick fix! - "We took down Planned Parenthood! POOF! No more abortion!"

To be clear, no one is being told what they can or cannot fly. ALL removal of the confederate flags have been voluntary or voted on by the people.

Voted on by the people? No our REPRESENTATIVES did that without putting it up for a actual vote in the next election,and therby skipping the will of the SC people. Governments dont do as we ask remember?
ANd the Ole miss student government lol. I sense they too will become representatives one day and this was just practice for them.

Any government even student is corrupt these days. DID they have a vote of the entire campus of students or did they do it by themselves alone?
Hiding our past does nothing to stop the issue or is even a step in th eright direction. its a step backward because its illustrating a divide when you hide the relics.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

So I'm assuming you're all for putting up lynching posts in the South, just so we can remember our past and all..

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I am impressed.

There is hope in the next generation.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Can someone tell me what the big deal is? College students usually aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer

Do you know this because you're a college student? Or, never have been...

It's a big deal for reasons that you understand very well, but you want to make some kind of issue out of it because you think it makes you seem smarter than they are. Everything we do is kinda egocentric - just like this flag

This country has issues - racist issues - from corner to corner - north to south

Racism isn't a southern thing. But, there is no good reason to continue to display a symbol that is widely seen as honoring a racist ethos

Or, is there?

I love it when people pretend that symbols - or language - doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter - why should they leave it up? There comes a time when changes are natural - and necessary. It's time to let start letting some things go

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Flags can't be racist. They are usually just made of cloth. Some people may use it as a symbol for THEIR racism.

Like the guy who designed the flag you mean, as a symbol of white supremacy.

People like him?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

So I'm assuming you're all for putting up lynching posts in the South, just so we can remember our past and all..

If i am not mistaken we have a few and they have plaques telling the history an usage of them. ALso It wa snot just a method used on Blacks it was used on everyone that th e public wanted dead and th e law didnt. Hey much liek a democracy huh? th e will of the people right? But really a lynching didnt need a post. all you needed was a tree and a rope. shoot you didnt even need that really.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Like the guy who designed the flag you mean, as a symbol of white supremacy.

People like him?

The guy was a simpleton trying to imbue a flag with a emotion. still th e flag itself was un biased cloth and thread. Unless inanimate objects are alive right?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

ATTENTION!

This thread is about the vote that was held at he university in Mississippi.

THAT is what this thread is about. Any other discussion is considered off topic.

Post removals will start to happen, and this thread will be shut down quickly if the discussion can not return to the subject of the OP, or if people continue to be snarky with each other.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

You're ignoring the importance of symbolism for reasons only you would know, yuppa...

But it doesn't wash.

Symbols are designed for a reason.
To symbolise what the designer advocates for.

I could give thousands of examples. I'm sure you know this.

It's a good decision to remove it from anywhere but museums, and if chosen by the individual, on their own premises.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Voted on by the people? No our REPRESENTATIVES did that without putting it up for a actual vote in the next election,and therby skipping the will of the SC people.

I said, "ALL removal of the confederate flags have been voluntary or voted on by the people." My point is that no one is telling people what they can or cannot fly. And that's true. The people are free to fly the flag.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join