It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. judge refuses to grant straight couple a divorce because … gay marriage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Foderalover

You do have a right to turn away disruptive people. You could turn away a black man who wasn't wearing a shirt as long as you turned away everyone else who wasn't.

You do not have a right to turn away people because they are of any particular religion. Or gender. Or race.

it was more of a rant.
Indeed.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: yuppa

A real mariage is a agreement between two people alone with God. not the bastardized things we call marriages today.

Marriage is defined only by those in it.

Legal Marriage is a government contract.

And you dont need a"legal marriage"(ie government approved) if you both want to be married. You just said its defined by those in it right? So do a bride and grom allow uncle sam in bed with them? Back in the old days you didnt have to have a license to marry anyone so its not really needed. You dont need uncle sam to keep a promise.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: yuppa

MArriage licensing came about so th e government could get a cut of the money.
But the legal status goes way beyond license fees. (25 bucks? 75 bucks? Really? That's what it's about?) Woohoo! Major source of revenue there. I wonder if it even covers the costs of record keeping.

Best way to solve this is to ELIMINATE the TAX BREAKS maried people get and then MAke it s PERSONAL AGREEMENT not a LEGAL CONTRACT.

What needs to be solved, exactly?

A real mariage is a agreement between two people alone with God. not the bastardized things we call marriages today.
According to...you?

Also you dont need a priest to do your vows either.
What happens to the assets acquired during the marriage when the marriage goes away?

Well if your marriage is strong your marriage dont go away. its kind of th epoint of marriage to stay married. If you divorce most people with common sense take their own stuff and leave. If you marry someone without a goverment contract you just do like the old times people did. I divorce you in the presence of these witnesses for blah blah insert your reason here.

The tax breaks and goodies that coem along with a certificate need to dissapear as well Phade. marriage is a big business.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Well if your marriage is strong your marriage dont go away.
Yeah. That would be nice. But it's not reality for many.

If you divorce most people with common sense take their own stuff and leave.
After 15 years of marriage, try defining "your own stuff."

I divorce you in the presence of these witnesses for blah blah insert your reason here.
What happens to the kids?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I divorce you in the presence of these witnesses for blah blah insert your reason here.

Oh crap my neighbors would be divorced every time they had a barbeque then. They always have a few too many and go too far.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

SO its not a reality for many. they shoudnt get married then.

After 15 yrs of mariage. Its not like if they have any sense they cant split up their assets amicably

And kids? ANyone with a responsible bone would take care of them. If they dont get a DNA test done to get th egovernment involved if you must. Still dont matter because you didnt need the marriage license to begin with. if you marry liek they used to.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Oh crap my neighbors would be divorced every time they had a barbeque then. They always have a few too many and go too far.

Well they would reconcile everytime they get sober lol!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Its not like if they have any sense they cant split up their assets amicably
That would be nice. But it's not reality for many. See there are things like resentment and stuff that often show up.

ANyone with a responsible bone would take care of them.
Which parent? Who decides?

Still dont matter because you didnt need the marriage license to begin with.
You don't need a license to live together. You do need a license to be married, which is a legal contract.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Marriage is defined only by those in it.

Legal Marriage is a government contract.

And you dont need a"legal marriage"(ie government approved) if you both want to be married.

Who said you did?

You can live together and call it whatever you want.

But, if you try to get insurance as a married couple you might run into some problems.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Its not like if they have any sense they cant split up their assets amicably
That would be nice. But it's not reality for many. See there are things like resentment and stuff that often show up.

ANyone with a responsible bone would take care of them.
Which parent? Who decides?

Still dont matter because you didnt need the marriage license to begin with.
You don't need a license to live together. You do need a license to be married, which is a legal contract.

Wrong. marriage is between two people not the government. Common law marriage is similiar to what im talking about and as such does not require a license either. back in th eold days you didnt have to get a license. So why get one now?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

marriage is between two people not the government
Who said the govement got married? A marriage is a legal contract between two people, under the law. No matter what you think it may be.

Common law marriage is similiar to what im talking about and as such does not require a license either.
That depends on what state you live in, but guess what. Since in some states it is considered a legal marriage, it entails the same legal commitments as a licensed marriage.

Once you are in a common law marriage, you don’t want your status in limbo, especially when it comes to ending the relationship legally. No matter how your legal marriage was created, a legal divorce is critical in:

Dividing property and assets
Deciding support and alimony issues
Getting a judgment to end the marriage, so you are free to marry again and avoid bigamy charges

family-law.lawyers.com...

edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Wrong. marriage is between two people not the government. Common law marriage is similiar to what im talking about and as such does not require a license either. back in th eold days you didnt have to get a license. So why get one now?

Marriage is an ambiguous term tossed around by many people. It's also a subjective term depending on if it's a religious rite, state ritual, or a combination of both. It has taken on and morphed into a ridiculously expensive event, which 60% of the time end in, a ridiculously expensive and messy divorce.

imo it's not worth it.

If you care about someone then just live together, instead of putting a license on them like a piece of property. I would say marriage is actually disrespectful, because when things go bad people use the contract to torture each other.

We are so indoctrinated that we never even question these ridiculous rites before entering into them.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

If you care about someone then just live together, instead of putting a license on them like a piece of property.

No legal commitment? No legal responsibility? You support your partner while they earn a degree then when they get it they just split. Neat.

A marriage license doesn't say one owns the other. Quite the contrary. It clearly defines the rights and responsibilities of each.
edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

back in th eold days you didnt have to get a license.

How far back are we talking about. Back in goat herder days it was about property.

You know a daughter could fetch a price from between 10 to 30 goats.

Oh the good ole days...wait they didn't shower back then. Those days stunk like goat %$#@.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I would say marriage is actually disrespectful, because when things go bad people use the contract to torture each other.

Sounds like a line out of movie like "Wedding Crashers". So romantic! LOL

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

back in th eold days you didnt have to get a license.

How far back are we talking about. Back in goat herder days it was about property.

You know a daughter could fetch a price from between 10 to 30 goats.

Oh the good ole days...wait they didn't shower back then. Those days stunk like goat %$#@.

And all this......just 'cuz the gays............hehe

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Perspective....a few beers will help.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Who wants to be a lawyer these days?

By the time you get outta law school you have to get schooled again. I studied IT and I thought I was capable then all of a sudden... BAM! along comes wi-fi.

When the laws change then you need to change with it. With computers the changes are set in stone and not open to interpretation, the law is not the same.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If you care about someone then just live together, instead of putting a license on them like a piece of property.

No legal commitment? No legal responsibility? You support your partner while they earn a degree then when they get it they just split. Neat.

A marriage license doesn't say one owns the other. Quite the contrary. It clearly defines the rights and responsibilities of each.

That's exactly what it says.

So I pay for your degree, but if we split you owe me, sounds like indentured service/ownership to me.

Phage it's a double edged sword, if someone gets the right partner life can be good, but with our narcissistic society marriage contracts are messy, especially for a man and women with assets. Prenups are as good as toilet paper.

The reason for contract is because people don't trust each other, and starting off a life together via a marriage license is holding each others feet legally to the fire, so basically if someone wants out, they get their share.

Indentured service wrapped up in a bed of roses, and a white picket fence.

I'm not saying for people to not get married, just take some time and really understand what it is they are getting into.

Legally most people have little knowledge in this area, yet they enter into a legally binding contract.

Marriage used to be for life, now it's just for show, convenience, and being able to say they got married.

edit on 7-9-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

So I pay for your degree, but if we split you owe me, sounds like indentured service/ownership to me.
Sounds like a mutually beneficial contract to me.

The reason for contract is because people don't trust each other,
False. I've never signed a contract with someone I didn't trust to fulfill the terms of the contract.

Indentured service wrapped up in a bed of roses, and a white picket fence.
Which is indentured to which?

Legally most people have little knowledge in this area, yet they enter into a legally binding contract.
So what? People do lots of ignorant things. People sign dumb contracts (a marriage is not one). Do you think there should be no legal contracts at all because of it?

Marriage used to be for life, now it's just for show, convenience, and being able to say they got married.
Yeah, the world used to be perfect. If you're a reactionary.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join