It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. judge refuses to grant straight couple a divorce because … gay marriage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: seeker1963

You think legal contracts are stupid?
Who do you think enforces them if not the government?

When it comes to relationships? Yea I do.

Love comes and goes. Why does the government and lawyers have to be involved in peoples stupidity and mistakes?

Ah, follow the money?

Want some P or D and you think your in love and then for some reason or another you feel duped? Too damned bad!

Ever hear of "responsibility"?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Want some P or D and you think your in love and then for some reason or another you feel duped? Too damned bad!

I guess that applies to hiring a contractor to do something for you, paying them to get started, they split, and you have nothing.
Too damned bad for you. Okay.

Of course, there are pre-nuptial contracts.

edit on 9/6/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I seem to find myself with two choices...
I can sit back and find the humor in all this...
or get really quite concerned at how darned stupid people have gotten!

god, just what in heaven's name is the threat posed by homosexuals marrying?? I just don't get it. They certainly don't pose as great a risk as setting a precedence that our beliefs, god's law, whatever, is above the laws of the land! if we all were to decide to say heck with the law, my moral beliefs are better and run with them, we would create a very dangerous state of chaos very quickly!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Whether you want/believe in "contractual" marriage or not - - it is a different subject then everyone having the same right.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I guess that applies to hiring a contractor to do something for you, paying them to get started, they split, and you have nothing.
Too damned bad for you. Okay.

Of course, there are pre-nuptial contracts.

Since when does falling in love become comparable to hiring a contractor to do a job?

You must beg the government to cover for your mistakes?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Gothmog

And where ,pray tell , does marriage come in to the Constitution

14th amendment. Ya know? Equal rights and all that?

The Tenth Amendment states that all prerogatives not explicitly given to the Federal Government, nor prohibited of the states, are reserved to the states or to the people. Stop trying to make this an equal rights issue . They already had equal rights . Was the marriage recognized by the state ? Yes. Were they able to claim married filing jointly , yes.Did they have insurance for spouses , yes. At least in 1996. Thats when a friend of mine married his domestic partner. And they will tell you , its all about forced acceptance of the people. Its not about rights. They had those. And , btw , my friend is a prominent attorney.
Game over

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Gothmog

Amazing how so much power has been delivered to the SCOTUS over the past 6-7 years.

The SCOTUS has always had the power to interpret the Constitution and how it applies to law.
That's their job.

And where ,pray tell , does marriage come in to the Constitution ? And bet ya didnt know it is left up to each state to define marriage and the rights thereof . FAIL (you are slipping here lately Phage)

Marriage is a legal binding contract. So like all other contracts they are bound to follow the laws of the land.

Recognized by what ? The state in question.
Again , a fail. The laws of the land in this case is provided by each state .Thats why the laws pertaining to marriage and divorce vary so greatly .
edit on 6-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Was the marriage recognized by the state ? Yes.

No.

The historical institution and legal contract solemnizing the relationship of one man and one woman shall be the only legally recognized marital contract in this state. Any policy or law or judicial interpretation, purporting to define marriage as anything other than the historical institution and legal contract between one man and one woman is contrary to the public policy of this state and shall be void and unenforceable in Tennessee. If another state or foreign jurisdiction issues a license for persons to marry and if such marriage is prohibited in this state by the provisions of this section, then the marriage shall be void and unenforceable in this state.

I see you edited your ignorant statement out of your post.

edit on 9/6/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Whether you want/believe in "contractual" marriage or not - - it is a different subject then everyone having the same right.

I have been divorced twice! Who made money off of both of them?

Freaking lawyers and the courts!

All I see is people begging for more government so that they the government and courts and lawyers can make more money off of what?

People who just don't belong together?

No damn wonder this world is so screwed up!

What's next? Boyfriends and Girlfriends can sue each other? Hell, no wonder our young folk are scared of having a normal relationship!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Equal rights as an individual.And if you think I am against same sex marriages you are so wrong.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What's funny to me is that all these bible thumpers and religious nuts actually believe a secular law has some kind of effect on God's law.

Is God's version of marriage the same as man's? Does that mean a man made law redefines God's?

How about we stop confusing the two. God is going to sort it all out in the end anyways right? It's also part of his divine plan isn't it? So why all the outage? Probably because religious nuts want to force their opinion on everyone else.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I don't care.

This government currently has "contractual" marriage. That contract must be available to all - - equal rights.

Whether you choose it or not - - is up to you.

If you want to do away with it - - then start proceedings through proper circuits.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Freaking lawyers and the courts!

All I see is people begging for more government so that they the government and courts and lawyers can make more money off of what?

People who just don't belong together?

No damn wonder this world is so screwed up!

What's next? Boyfriends and Girlfriends can sue each other? Hell, no wonder our young folk are scared of having a normal relationship!

You have absolutely got this right.Anytime the feds get involved , it usually turns out very very wrong . They are well known for EPIC FAILS.
edit on 6-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I don't care.

This government currently has "contractual" marriage. That contract must be available to all - - equal rights.

Whether you choose it or not - - is up to you.

If you want to do away with it - - then start proceedings through proper circuits.

I don't care either!

To be married I would guess you would be an adult and smart enough to know what your getting into?

Buck it up cup cake! I don't need the government to accept or approve my love or commitment to anyone!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I don't need the government to accept or approve my love or commitment to anyone!

Then don't.

Still not what this is about.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Equal rights as an individual.

???

And if you think I am against same sex marriages you are so wrong.

Ok. I don't remember saying I thought you were or weren't.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Buck it up cup cake! I don't need the government to accept or approve my love or commitment to anyone!

Then I guess that means you won't be getting married again?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Then I guess that means you won't be getting married again?

Hell no!

I am just a mean, ornery, old man pissed off at a God I don't believe in waiting to get off this mad Rock!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

Well the system seems to be home to the fiction where fiction becomes a very slippery slope .Make of it what you may because other surely will .

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Buuuut...now, the SCOTUS *has* defined marriage

Not really.
They just said that laws which prevent same sex marriage are unconstitutional.

That's probably the nub of it, the judges challenge is that if the Supreme Court says that, then his opinion doesn't matter when it come to divorce....of marriage.

"Tennesseans have been deemed by the U.S. Supreme Court to be incompetent to define and address such keystone/central institutions such as marriage, and, thereby, at minimum, contested divorces."
Maybe this time the constitution is the winner, since the judge apparently hasn't yet had the need to divorce a same sex marriage, or more properly, a need to rule on a non-issue, as he or his state see it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join