It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
Here is thought, IF she doesn't want to do the paper work because it offends her religious belief system, get in the next line.

There isn't a "next line". She is THE county clerk. There are deputy county clerks, and now that she's in jail, I'm pretty sure they will temporarily be taking over her duties.

Bunning also told five deputy clerks who work for Davis that they have until 1:45 p.m. to decide whether they will comply with his order to issue marriage licenses or join Davis in jail.

Source
edit on 9/3/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm happy to see most of the responses here, which are reasoned and have a firm grasp on how an elected official is not allowed to make their own law for whatever reason.

She has definitely provoked this, and has reneged on her duties per the law. Sad that she doesn't see how she is obligated to abide by the law and serve all the citizens in her county!

Can you imagine if a Clerk decided that it was against their religion to sign off on gun permits?

Not to derail from the discussion, but it would be completely justifiable in that case to put the clerk in jail for contempt as well, no?

Good to see the justice system work.

- AB

(post by sycomix removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
How about my religion is against war and polluting the air

And I withhold my taxes

I'd go to jail faster than they put this coddled, spoiled brat in jail

They should have just fired her from her job

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Here is thought, IF she doesn't want to do the paper work because it offends her religious belief system, get in the next line.

There isn't a "next line". She is THE county clerk. There are deputy county clerks, and now that she's in jail, I'm pretty sure they will temporarily be taking over her duties.

Bunning also told five deputy clerks who work for Davis that they have until 1:45 p.m. to decide whether they will comply with his order to issue marriage licenses or join Davis in jail.

www.kentucky.com...=cpy" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

In my town if I go to the local court house there at no less than 10 lines, in the next town over at least 5, there is more than one line and there is no way she is the only signatory for the paperwork in question.

link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: LeatherNLace
10 bucks says she has some LGBT sex while she is in the "slammer".

Whether she wants it or not!

That's the right attitude. People accuse her of being a hateful bigot, then hope she gets raped in prison.

Yeah...

I certainly wasn't hoping.
I was stating how it is in prison... at least from what I have heard. I have no first hand experience.

link   
Question- Some local level governments can choose not to enforce some federal laws with no repercussions (e.g. marijuana, persons in the country illegally). I realize this is a supreme court ruling so it may not be exactly analogous. And I'm not drawing a line on one side of either of issue but merely using them as examples. But it would seems that some laws/rulings/mandates are enforced (or not enforced) with some bias. Is this just my perception and understanding of this correct? Maybe someone in the legal profession can chime in and explain the difference between the examples and this particular issue.

Having said that, this woman is public servant and it's not her duty or place to decide which court rulings/laws/mandates to enforce. She can believe what she wants personally, but should step down if she refuses to do what her position requires.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
See you next Tuesday! Look at all that restraint I mustered!

This woman is a moron, a hypocrite and the spectacle surrounding her is ridiculous. I don't think jail time is needed, and will only further her victim complex. Fire her, give her a fine, her personal life being aired all over the place should be enough.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I would definitely pay $20..... to not watch that!

link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
So I guess the next questions are:

Will she continue to receive her $80,000/year salary while she serves time in jail ?

and

Now that she is doing jail time, does that automatically disqualify her from being a County Clerk (the criminal record thing) ?

I think she has to be prosecuted and removed from office to stop her pay.

Probably cheaper to let her term run out.

link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Whether she wants it or not!

That's the right attitude. People accuse her of being a hateful bigot, then hope she gets raped in prison.

Yeah...

I certainly wasn't hoping.
I was stating how it is in prison... at least from what I have heard. I have no first hand experience.

She's not going to prison, anyway. Just the county jail. She'll be treated well.

link   

She can not be forced to act against her beliefs,

She's not. She could resign her job.

By the by, she is paid a salary right??? .

Yes! The people of Kentucky (the gay people who want to get married) pay her salary. She is an elected official.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Her fellow religious people would just pay the fine, according to the judge, that's why he didn't fine her

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

In my town if I go to the local court house there at no less than 10 lines, in the next town over at least 5, there is more than one line and there is no way she is the only signatory for the paperwork in question.

Post a link and I'll believe you. Until then, you simply don't know what you're talking about!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Here is thought, IF she doesn't want to do the paper work because it offends her religious belief system, get in the next line. If muslims can get away from not handling pork or serving alcohol because it offends their religions views... well whats good for the goose is good for gander. Either all churches and religions get the same exemptions or they all get none. Simple right???

There's always at least one that has to bring Muslims into a conversation that has nothing to do with them.

You could at least try to be original.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

(post by sycomix removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Ahh. Perhaps I should read the article.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join