It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those that support Southerners flying the Confederate Flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I've heard from many people online, on this site and others, that the Confederate Flag is just a sign/symbol of Southern heritage and culture. Well, there is another flag that is commonly flown in the United States that is also flown as a remembrance of heritage and culture, and I'm just wondering if those that support people flying the confederate flag support it as well.

So here it is...do you guys support people flying this flag?

Before you answer...let's take a look at the two flags.

1. Both are flags of a foreign country. Yes, before you try to claim that the Confederate Flag is part of United States history...remember, the Confederacy seceded from the United States, making them their own country.

2. Both are flags of a foreign country that once held territory in the United States.

3. Both foreign countries have warred with the United States in the past and have been defeated.

4. Both are flown by people who had ancestors that lived in those territories and now live in the United States. However, only the Mexican flag is flown by people who used to live in the actual foreign country and lived that countries culture.

5. Both are flown for the reason of pride and to remember their culture.

6. The Confederate States of America was in existence for 5 years, 1861 - 1865.

7. The Country of Mexico has been in existence for 205 years, 1810 - 2015.

8. Only one, the Confederate Flag, represents a country that committed treason against the United States (See Constitution for definition).

9. Only one, the Confederate Flag, represents a country that fought a war in part to be able to keep African Americans as slaves and not count them as citizens.

10. Only one, the Confederate Flag, represents to many a symbol of hatred and racism.

I have seen threads on this site and discussions on others, where absolute hate and disgust is expressed at seeing people fly the Mexican Flag in the United States. The people flying the Mexican flag say it's for the reasons of pride of their heritage and culture they came from...the exact same reason people are saying the support people flying the Confederate Flag. I've heard people claim that they no longer live in Mexico so that they should "adapt" to "our" culture and stop flying the Mexican Flag...and yet it seems like Southerners are encouraged to remember their heritage from a treasonous country that tried to secede. The people flying the Mexican flag have over 200 years of heritage and culture that they are remembering and celebrating. The people flying the Confederate flag have 5 years of heritage and culture that existed 150 years ago.

So for those that support flying the Confederate Flag...simple question...do you support people flying the Mexican Flag?

Edit: Adding examples of hate on this site for people flying the Mexican Flag
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-7-2015 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I honestly don't give a solid damn what flag someone flies because they have a right, guaranteed by the First Amendment, to do so.

It's really as simple as that.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Maybe because Mexico still exists?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I think what you might find is that most Americans support the FREEDOM to display what ever flag you want and not necessarily the Confederate Flag itself.

I'm not opposed to removing it from gov't property, but stay out of the private hands of individuals and business that chose to display it , unless they chose not to do so.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

YES! this whole flag thing is like a schoolyard fight..let it go already!!! WHO THE EFF CARES?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

As long as it doesn't fly above an American flag, I have no problem with any flag being flown.

Don't care if they're on government building either.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Seems like the US and Mexico fought what 2 wars over territory ? Wouldnt that be a transgression ? And maybe to the South a "foreign country" was established (it was not , remember the cause of the war ?) but not to the North who declared the South was still part of the Union of States. So , that type of reasoning is incorrect. The South never was allowed to form an independent nation .

edit on 3-7-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
interupt is right. It's the Freedom to fly it, not the flag itself. It's turned in to a fad lately to want to suppress what a few don't like and then others, who had nothing to say about it before it became The latest thing to hate, jumped on the bandwagon and made it a national issue. They are all for Freedom of expression....as long as it expresses what they want it to.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The ban of the confederate flag by some, is just a massive propaganda by the TPTB to divide in half, the half that was divided by the other half of the original half.

American people are losing power through simple propaganda.... it's just a flag, it means different things to different people, not everyone who exhibits the flag is a KKK member. Some people just like to be patriotic and believe in something greater than themselves... Is that really bad?

Welcome to the country of the "free"... "Free" to follow our rules, or die believing otherwise.

link   

originally posted by: galaga

Maybe because Mexico still exists?

That is actually more of a reason for the Mexican Flag to still be flown as opposed to the Confederate Flag.

People have grown up and lived in Mexico's culture, they lived a 200+ year old culture and heritage. Just because you move to another country doesn't mean you should have to give that up.

On the other hand, no living person today lived in the Confederate States of America during it's 5 year existence...so what connection do they have to that "culture"?

link   
Seriously? What is the point to this?

Yes, I am absolutely one of "those people" that thinks immigrants should adapt to wherever they move. I wouldn't move to Germany and demand everybody cater to me. I would adapt to the country. You know, like pick up the language, learn the culture, learn the local customs and traditions. Which has precisely zero to do with slapping an American flag sticker on my vehicle.

Adapting to your country of residence doesn't mean giving up your own heritage and own traditions. It means adding the local ones to your own.

Fly whatever damn flag you want.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I think what you might find is that most Americans support the FREEDOM to display what ever flag you want and not necessarily the Confederate Flag itself.

I'm not opposed to removing it from gov't property, but stay out of the private hands of individuals and business that chose to display it , unless they chose not to do so.

And who is doing that?

Give me one example of the Government banning a private person or entity from flying the Confederate flag?

Businesses make business decisions based on what they think will benefit or harm their business...and they use the majority of societies opinion to make those decisions.

If someone is made about a business not using the Confederate Flag, tough...that is their right.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'm of Irish descent. My family is Irish.

I've never been to Ireland. I still have shirts that represent Ireland. Because it's my heritage.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Seems like the US and Mexico fought what 2 wars over territory ? Wouldnt that be a transgression ? And maybe to the South a "foreign country" was established (it was not , remember the cause of the war ?) but not to the North who declared the South was still part of the Union of States. So , that type of reasoning is incorrect. The South never was allowed to form an independent nation .

Semantics.

But if you want to go with that thought...then the Confederate Flag is nothing more than the symbol of traitors to the United States of America.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Syllar
The ban of the confederate flag by some, is just a massive propaganda by the TPTB to divide in half, the half that was divided by the other half of the original half.

American people are losing power through simple propaganda.... it's just a flag, it means different things to different people, not everyone who exhibits the flag is a KKK member. Some people just like to be patriotic and believe in something greater than themselves... Is that really bad?

Welcome to the country of the "free"... "Free" to follow our rules, or die believing otherwise.

I'm curious...who has "banned" the Confederate Flag?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

6 Companies Ban confederate flag sales
edit on rd15FridayFridayamFri, 03 Jul 2015 11:01:36 -0500 by Syllar because: (no reason given)

edit on rd15FridayFridayamFri, 03 Jul 2015 11:01:53 -0500 by Syllar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I agree. And the government IS staying out of the private hands of individuals and business that choose to display it.
edit on 7/3/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Gothmog

Semantics.

But if you want to go with that thought...then the Confederate Flag is nothing more than the symbol of traitors to the United States of America.

Not semantics , history . Pure and simple. And what traitorous deed was the south guilty of ? That would be semantics

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
To borrow a saying from ol gal Hillary "What does it matter? " said pounding on the desk . Seriously . Why should the people of the US do battle against each other over everything? No matter how trivial.Why do people try to force others into believing what they do ? In my case , AINT GONNA HAPPEN. Give up. Put it all to rest.I dont want to live and believe as you do.....

Really , do that many people think that even a complete ban on flags of the South will end racism ? Truly ? It seems to me like it would only serve to inflame it...Put your brain in gear before your mouth .

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Syllar

6 Companies Ban confederate flags

THe actual title of your article is: 6 Companies Ban confederate flag SALES. (nice trick!) Six companies exercised their right to sell what they want to sell and nothing else. Companies can CHOOSE what they sell. That is not a "ban", it's a free choice.

They were not forced. No one imposed a ban.
edit on 7/3/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join