It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From gay marriage to polygamy?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: SlapMonkey

There are very clear, logical, and GOOD reasons not to legalize incestuous marriages (children have birth defects), animal marriage (animal can't consent), or child marriages (child can't legally consent).

With technology today we can find these abnormalities and abort the defective fetus. It is only a fetus.

As far as children not being able to legally consent, laws can be changed. Child marriages happen everyday in other countries. Why do we have to be so oppressive?
edit on 2-7-2015 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I honestly think this kind of cheapens what was just accomplished.

But, this is just the beginning.

"Just the beginning" of what?

More personal freedom? The right to determine our own destiny? People being able to make their own decisions without state or religious interference?

I have a feeling that's not what your are referring to. Tell us....

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Doom and Gloom

We could, but I'm not EVER going to endorse government mandated abortions, even if it is because you have a incestuous relationship, so I would never support such things. It is best just to keep them illegal.

Child do not have the emotional maturity to consent to a long term decision like that. It has been proven in scientific study after scientific study. I'm not going to accept a bandwagon appeal to overturn scientific evidence.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So based off your personal beliefs we should keep these things illegal. This is without regard to those people YOUR feelings and beliefs are preventing from finding true happiness.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There are a lot of miserable people that are married.

If they think it'll be better with more spouses, sure whatever.

What we're going to see in 100 years looking back is that we were extremely rigid in our concept of interpersonal relationships. The relationships of the future are going to be a lot more fluid.

Imagine if human life spans extend to 250 years?

I can see two people marrying, having a few kids and raising them -- then divorcing and starting over. People may wind up having two or three sets of kids with different spouses in their lifetime.

This is just the way of things. Humans are constantly changing, unfortunately we drag our archaic belief systems with us which don't change.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

They aren't my personal beliefs. They are applications of not letting the state dictate life or death and the other is based off of scientific evidence. This isn't a matter of me being offended. There are VERY sound arguments for not allowing these things.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

To be honest, I think marriage is ultimately going to go the way of the dinosaur. Contractual obligations to stay in a relationship make people hate each other more than ever. Many millennials are actually opting OUT of getting married because they don't want to go through the headache.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Each person can find sound arguments to not allow anything. We as a human race require the freedom to pursue love and happiness where ever it may lie with whomever or whatever. To oppose this is to be as hateful as those that are against same sex marriage.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This opens doors for all sorts of Marriages.

Incest marriage
Pedophile marriages
Cyborg marriages

Free love right?

Etc.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: MystikMushroom

To be honest, I think marriage is ultimately going to go the way of the dinosaur. Contractual obligations to stay in a relationship make people hate each other more than ever. Many millennials are actually opting OUT of getting married because they don't want to go through the headache.

On this I agree.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

No these arguments are pretty clear cut and align with other morals established as the basis of our country. It is VERY easy to draw the line there.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147
oh, I'm looking forward to having 5 or 6 of them signing their paychecks over to me!!!!
and oh course, every child should have 5 or 6 daddies legally obligated to their support!

edit on 2-7-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

What this country was based on is irrelevant now. There were horrendous atrocities that this country was founded upon and none of which should be supported or endorsed in modern day. Morals vary from person to person, therefore they cannot be used to restrain others. There should be no lines drawn, when you draw lines it divides people. We as a people need to embrace and love every one regardless united.

edit on 2-7-2015 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I'm pretty DAMN sure that government mandated abortions are pretty immoral. I'm pretty DAMN sure that telling a kid that he is sexually attracted to an you as an adult despite him not knowing any better is immoral.

Both of those situations create victims. This country EXPRESSLY doesn't create victims so as to provide freedoms to another group of people. After all, why not legalize stealing then?
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I never said government mandated. It is the choice of the parents. More specifically the mother. The government should not be involved in anyway.

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doom and Gloom

What this country was based on is irrelevant now. There were horrendous atrocities that this country was founded upon and none of which should be supported or endorsed in modern day. Morals vary from person to person, therefore they cannot be used to restrain others. There should be no lines drawn, when you draw lines it divides people. We as a people need to embrace and love every one regardless united.

regardless if it is physically and psychologically damaging to other beings?

There are types of "love" where it is one sided (Pedophilia in most cases)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doom and Gloom

I never said government mandated. It is the choice of the parents. More specifically the mother. The government should not be involved in anyway.

Then you create the victim of the child being born with birth defects. This wouldn't be so bad for unpreventable birth defects. But incestuous birth has been PROVEN to cause birth defects. At this point, the parents are being willfully negligent.
edit on 2-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

As far as children not being able to legally consent, laws can be changed. Child marriages happen everyday in other countries. Why do we have to be so oppressive?

A child cannot give informed and mature consent. I don't consider protecting them until they have developed the critical thinking skills to give knowledgable consent, oppressive.

(post by BinaryGreyArea removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

A child cannot give informed and mature consent. I don't consider protecting them until they have developed the critical thinking skills to give knowledgable consent, oppressive.

Unless they want to block their hormones at puberty, then it's ok. We can't pick and choose when they can give consent about their future and when they can't. Either they are too young to make life altering decisions or they are not. Make up your minds.

I can see the point that Doom and Gloom is making. I'm also seeing some glaring hypocrisy from other members.

Polygamy... sure why not. I know many polyamorous people, they are just fine.

Also need to point out, about a year ago, I recall reading threads where those in favor of same sex marriage saying it would not lead to a slippery slope of Polygamy. Now they are calling for it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join