It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart Says He Can't Tell Jokes After Charleston Church Shooting

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well he never told joke anyway.

THe guy is an idiot and not funny

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Racism is very much alive and well. We really haven't moved far forward from the civil rights movement of Dr. King. We've simply swept it under the rug. People still tell racist jokes, just in private. People still would rather socialize, hire, marry and live next to people of their own skin color.

Telling a joke that is founded on stereotypes of different races is not racism.

Socializing, marrying and living next to people of their own skin color is not racist--it's human nature to want to do these things around people with whom you have the most in common, and pretending that there is not (generally) a cultural difference between races is absurdly ignorant.

Hiring practices that are based on skin color is, IMO, racist--the best-qualified should get the job. But on the flip side, affirmative action is also racist, because it does the same thing, forcing hiring based on skin color just to keep up an appearance of diversity.

If you really think that our society as a whole has not moved much beyond the civil rights movement, maybe you should read a book called "White Guilt" by Shelby Steele--it discusses how black society is just as culpable in the death of true civil rights as any segment of white society (and it's written by a black man who experienced Southern racism first hand).

Look at our 20- and 30-somethings today. If you truly tell me that this generation is not exceptionally less racist than the previous one that grew up during the civil rights movement, then you're kidding yourself. When these young people start replacing the current, elderly leaders, we'll see swift changes come aboard in attitude on race (I hope...meaning I wish it would stop being used as an excuse and mostly false accusation against other people).

We've intellectualized racism, and convinced ourselves it's gone -- no, it's just hiding in the closet. It's the big ugly gorilla in the room that none of us want to talk about, and pretend isn't really there.

No we haven't, but like I said earlier, to a certain extent, much of the pure hatred-driven racism is dying off as previous generations do the same. You talk about intellectualizing racism, but you have to understand that the term "racism" has actually been dumbed down to include things like disapproving with the policies of a black president, or wanting to tighten up welfare spending, or wanting a photo ID requirement at voting booths. Yes, all of this stuff comes with the label of "racist" now, even though many valid, non-racist points come along with these arguments made by non-racist people.

You say racism has been intellectualized, but I say it has been hijacked by the ignorant for political uses, and that the screams of racism done by paid protestors and "Politics Nation" on MSNBC do not, even a bit, reflect the real feelings and actions on racism in this country. Racism will never be gone, because it's human nature that some people hate other groups for whatever reason that they can come up with--most being fear or ignorance. But you can't legislate that type of human nature away, and it will always exist somewhere inside some people.

In some quiet, predominately white suburban neighborhood, a housewife worries her property value will decrease as she sees a large black family move in next door. After moving to a new town in the south, a white father investigates private schools for his daughter, as public schools do poorly/have low funding/are full of poverty-striken minorities. This type of thing still happens on a daily basis folks, absolutely.

And in some quit suburban neighborhood, that same housewife could be black and be concerned about the new neighbors because they're loud and don't like the amount of cars parked in front of their house and the way that it looks. The white father could be a black father doing the same thing because he uses his intelligence and money to try to get the best education for his child(ren).

What you're failing to mention is that in that same suburban neighborhood, there are 5 other families near the house that meet and greet and welcome the family into the neighborhood with genuine smiles and friendliness. In that Southern town, there are many black families fed up and protesting against the terrible school district, just wishing that they could have the ability to send their child to a different school (but their elected Democrats in power won't vote in a school voucher program).

There are many sides to the racism coin, and I'm not saying that you are saying this, but to pretend that it's a white-on-black racism--and only that racism--that is the only or even the main culprit in this problem would be delusional.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

Well he never told joke anyway.

THe guy is an idiot and not funny

The majority of the country disagrees with you. Maybe your sense of humor is the problem.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I personally don't believe race is a real issue anymore untill the media makes it one...but even if it were still a problem, how are we supposed to make people not be racist? You can't legislate morality and call it a free country. Should we continue targeting minorities for welfare programs? That doesn't do anything but create stife between classes.

I say we treat the church shooting as it should be. Regardless of the motive, it was cold blooded muder. Therefore, the convicted perpetrator deserves the death penalty. First degree murder is a hate crime anyway you look at it. You have to hate the victim(s) enough to commit the crime.

So I say we all grow up, suck it up, and not blame the "racism" straw man for a crime commited by a free thinking individual.

Except for the fact that it was the shooter, not the media, who claimed he was motivated by his hatred for people with a darker skin complexion.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I agree. There is some LOVE coverage, we humans have a deep need for these things, and they get bonus points for these things too. I think it was a beautiful display of character and it totally made me cry too.
But I promise there will be follow up stories that anger and divide anyone listening.

This is my point though. You have people on ATS, people you talk to (family, neighbors, friends) who all agree on how much the world needs to change. But we all feel hopeless. I know alot of baby boomers who will agree that we sheeple need to step up and stop letting the media have their way with us, but they all act like it can't be done. I think it can be done. I am truly asking how will it be done. When will it be done, and how can we spread the word to have the nation rise up together without being misrepresented by the media and censored by the internet?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join