It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas woman invokes ‘religious freedom’ argument to fight $2000 fine for feeding the homeless

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
A few quick points:

1. Oversight/potential food dangers: At what point does a picnic become a crime? What is the requisite level of relationship for breaking bread? Can I place a police officer under citizens arrest for giving donuts to his coworkers?

1B. Can we go gather day old donuts out of a trash can and distribute them to the police outside their station in protest, as a demonstration between the difference between a real offense and what they have been focusing on instead?

2. "If you want to pray go to church". Though I would actually like a little break from other people's beliefs, there is no constitutional or legal basis for such an instruction? What is the difference between a "free speech zone" and a prison for people who speak up? If you do X, which is your right, we say you must be isolated from society in this separate location until such time as you stop... THAT'S WHAT A PRISON IS!

3. Feeding the homeless causes more homeless. OK Let's test that theory. I will give a hamburger to anyone who discards all of their possessions and becomes homeless. You're not getting your hamburger until I see for sure that you are completely destitute. Any takers?

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

i'm glad my current state isn't on there. The past two ones that I've lived in are, though. starred--tyvm for the info

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I didn't know there was a law against spending your own time and money to feed those who starve in the land of the free.

This was hard to believe, so I looked for other news websites, appearantly, they are doing this in the name of public safety, and the food truck did not mention that it was religious.

Still, if a person is willing to take free food, then why should it matter? People aren't forced to eat it, and it's not a business making money without taxes...

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
They figured a way to stop the homeless being fed, what better way for some people to rally around this ruling is okay? You just can't have those filthy homeless near the city centers, the tourist destinations, etc. As the map on the previous page shows, these anti homeless rulings are spreading.

What they won't be prepared for is the growing homeless and low income families that also utilize these kitchens due to the downturn in the economy. Foodbanks are already struggling. But let's worry about people who are trying to help and their not having permits or what have you, because after all they want to poison or feed rat turds to the homeless!
edit on 18-4-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick
a reply to: wasaka

I just have to ask the obvious here.

What kind of monster makes it against the law to feed the homeless.

And how big a dick do you have to be to make the penalty a $2000 fine?

Most municipalities have these sorts of rules. The intent is that people leave the city to feed the homeless, which then draws the homeless out of the town. They're a group that most people would prefer to just forget to exist so... out of sight, out of mind.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
According to MSN, the Columbia City Council unanimously approved the plan, creating special police patrols, that would enforce “quality of life” laws, involving loitering, public urination, and other crimes not necessarily restricted to the homeless population.

According to the Activist Post, the Columbia South Carolina plan is already complete with an urgent Emergency Homeless Response report. And that report includes information about hauling the homeless away in transport vans to an already stationed shelter with workers, phone number for townspeople to report “the person in need,” an officer stationed to control foot traffic, public feeding moved there, more foot patrol officers for the city to keep out the homeless. Oh, and the homeless can’t walk off the premises!

If they want to leave, they must get permission, set up an appointment and be shuttled by a transport van. A patrolman will guard the road leading in to make sure homeless don’t wander off downtown.

Ex-prisoners will be shuttled there unless someone picks them up from the county jail. No foot traffic allowed, only shuttle van arrival. The plan is a city plan and not a federal government plan.

Read more at
investmentwatchblog.com...
the-round-up-has-begun-homeless-people-in-the-us-being-deported-to-camps-then-another-group-then-another-until-well-just-remember-germany-it-isnt-pret ty/

edit on 22-4-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Donated!

The lady was serving food out of a hot food catering truck for one
And even if she was serving it from a dirty ash tray, i am sure that is ten times better than eating it from a Dumpster

If Government was so concerned, they would be shutting down fracking in many parts of the country that is polluting our water but they get kick backs and donations from those cronies.

Big Government wants you to think Homeless people are unproductive sloths BECAUSE they are not contributing to taxes and Wall Street Gains in one way or another.

That may be fine for Soviet Union mentality but not in a country founded on Freedom and Rights

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join