It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas woman invokes ‘religious freedom’ argument to fight $2000 fine for feeding the homeless

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yep, Christians are not discriminated against in America, no way no how.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: wasaka

I seriously doubt she was charged with "feeding the homeless". Ill bet she fell on the wrong side of food distribution laws. Would like to see what she is charged with.

Why does it make a difference?

Feeding those who are hungry that usually get their food out of a dumpster, should not mean squat to a bunch of government bureaucrats who preach to the public how much they care about their well being.......

It makes a big difference. She could be putting anything in the sandwiches and we would never know. She she could do any number of things without oversight from anybody. I'm pretty sure there are avenues that she could take that would suit her charitable nature and still be in compliance with food distribution laws we have them for a reason and they aren't just to screw people over.

She has a history of helping these people! If she had bad intentions of doing them harm, I think it would have happened by now, don't you?

Maybe if she paid some fees to the local government for a license it would make her intentions much safer?

GTFOOH.......

Thanks to another poster, I just donated to her cause!
Screw BIG Government!
edit on 16-4-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

If something happens, then let her deal with the consequences. IF SOMETHING HAPPENS.

And on top of that, she is not forcing food down the homeless people's throats, she is offering it to them.

You want her to be prosecuted for a POTENTIAL THOUGHT CRIME, think about that for a second. By your definition, we should be able to lock up shady looking people because they MIGHT rob a house, just because someone THINKS they look shady.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SkipperJohn

Awesome, she needs help to getting to at least $2000.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

"Hello.

My name is Agent Carl with the Department of Homeland Security Sub-division Homeless Food Taster From The Food From Charitable Peoples.

Or

DNSSHFTFTFFCP

Can I have a bite of that burrito?

I'm sorry, it has too much sour cream, I'm afraid that the nutritional guidelines for homeless people

or

NGFHP

States that I'm going to have to confisctae this and fine you and eventually take everything you have through our

Division From Department Homeland Security Sub-division Internal Revenue Takes Money From Charitable People Because We Can Department

or

DFDHSSIRTMFCPBWCD

Have a nice day."

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I would be more worried about what burger king puts in the burgers then her sandwich.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Be that as it may, there are legal ways to do this. Not saying she is evil, but how can we give our trust to someone who has no oversight? There are plenty of ways to be charitable and donate or work for the under privileged. However, it seems this is not one of them.

Besides you hear stories all the time about people doing weird stuff to food and then serving it. We have these laws for a reason.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: seeker1963

"Hello.

My name is Agent Carl with the Department of Homeland Security Sub-division Homeless Food Taster From The Food From Charitable Peoples.

Or

DNSSHFTFTFFCP

Can I have a bite of that burrito?

I'm sorry, it has too much sour cream, I'm afraid that the nutritional guidelines for homeless people

or

NGFHP

States that I'm going to have to confisctae this and fine you and eventually take everything you have through our

Division From Department Homeland Security Sub-division Internal Revenue Takes Money From Charitable People Because We Can Department

or

DFDHSSIRTMFCPBWCD

Have a nice day."

I expect nothing less from you Beezer!

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

It makes a big difference. She could be putting anything in the sandwiches and we would never know.

Yeah she could put harmfull chemicals and then pay the FDA to make it legal!

Oh, I got it wrong, I was thinking about 90% of the fast food industry.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I seriously doubt she was charged with "feeding the homeless". Ill bet she fell on the wrong side of food distribution laws. Would like to see what she is charged with.

In Las Vegas there is a fine for feeding the homeless.
I suspect the same is true in most major cities.

My understanding is one must get a licence from the city
before you can do this, even it is a religious duty.

Not saying I agree, but that is the roll of government
as they see it, to protect the public from bad food.

But when people, like this woman, take a stand
it only make the city look bad. It is high time
someone took a stand. Good job lady!

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Besides you hear stories all the time about people doing weird stuff to food and then serving it. We have these laws for a reason.

You do??? That's funny because I read a lot of news and I don't recall there ever being a serial food poisoner old lady who was out killing homeless hungry people by handing out tainted sandwiches.

Although, the way the Gov. and law enforcement has been targeting the homeless lately something like that may happen soon enough. But it won't be some nice old lady doing it. It will be Gov. funded by our tax dollars in secret. Operation "Food Coma".

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

In Las Vegas there is a fine for feeding the homeless.
I suspect the same is true in most major cities.

My understanding is one must get a licence from the city
before you can do this, even it is a religious duty.

Not saying I agree, but that is the roll of government
as they see it, to protect the public from bad food.

But when people, like this woman, take a stand
it only make the city look bad. It is high time
someone took a stand. Good job lady!

This lady and many people like her make the local AND federal government look bad! The fact that an average citizen is able to help and feed people that are neglected and over looked by money hungry politicians doesn't bode well for the liars in government the PRETEND they care?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

...there are legal ways to do this. Not saying she is evil, but how can we give our trust to someone who has no oversight? There are plenty of ways to be charitable and donate or work for the under privileged. However, it seems this is not one of them.

What is evil?

My answer: False Authority

Fining someone for feeding the homeless is the very definition of False Authority. While having government is viewed by most as a necessary evil, in a country where religious freedom is protected one ought to be free to disobey the laws of this False Authority when it conflicts with a Higher Authority.

In this case, the price for doing so was $2000.00.
You seem to think this fine is justified, I do not.

edit on 16-4-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

This wasn't a one off thing you know? She's been doing this for a while from a regular food distribution truck. Even featured on Rachel Ray's cooking show. The day of the ticketing she didn't have the truck, but the food was still in the special distribution containers.

From her gofundme page

Cheever and her volunteers have been serving restaurant-quality meals to the city’s homeless for the past 10 years, and has been profiled on Rachel Ray’s cooking show for her charitable efforts.

Over the years, police officers have passed by and waved as she fed homeless people, but on Tuesday night she was given a ticket cited for transporting and serving the food from a vehicle other than that truck. The food was delivered in Health Department approved catering equipment like every other food delivery/caterer in the city.

Your suppositions are baseless.
edit on 16-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

why the hell would someone pay the government to help thy neighbor.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it," When you have it with you.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You lot don't seem to get it...

If she feeds them she doesn't give them money...

Then they can't buy drugs...

Then the war on drugs fails to make quotas...

Then the alphabet spaghetti groups lose funding...

Then they can't flood the streets with drugs...

Which means less drug addicted people who lose their homes...

I think you see where this is heading...

But anywho...

Then there is no homeless...

Then there is no one to feed...

Then people can't be arrested for feeding them...

Then the DFDHSSIRTMFCPBWCD can't meet their quotas...

Ahhh Law & Order...

It's Best in the Western World.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This looks like an occasion when the police officers could have exercised discretion but chose not to.

Otherwise, if a person can be threatened with a hefty fine for 'feeding the homeless' it opens up a bit of a can of worms.

Supposing one takes a fancy to a passing stranger and decides to offer to take them to dinner. Should one ascertain that they have an address before heading for a restaurant?

Supposing the people who queued up for food from this lady were not homeless, but just poor? Could they all turn up in court and prove that they had an address and that she wasn't guilty of feeding anybody homeless at all?

Does the very state of being homeless put one in a position where it becomes almost impossible to obtain food as well as a roof over one's head? That you really will be condemned to starve to death in the street because citizens with homes can be prosecuted for feeding you?

Are the homeless allowed to feed each other? Supposing one of them shared a sandwich with a fellow unfortunate?

It almost makes one wish that they all would just drop dead in the streets in their thousands and leave the heartless and pitiless authorities to clean them all up. See how they feel about digging mass graves or having mass funeral pyres. They'd realise then that feeding the homeless was the more efficient option.

Yeah - that'd learn 'em.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Instead of fining kind souls for feeding homeless people, maybe they should be looking for solutions as to why there are so many homeless people and get them the help they deserve.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

This woman is a paragon of christian virtue and even if she is not a christian though I assume she is that remain's true, these officers however are a disgrace to any police force, I assume they wanted to move the poor people out of sight and the same are those that would happily pour gas into the gas chambers were they would like to move them.

God bless her and let them know his police are watching them right now as they will surely have to answer to a higher and true authority one day, flaming bunch of stinking heartless anti christian idiot's.

Story's like this give me hope for the human race as long as there are people like this lady but also make me despair and make my blood boil at the nasty evil and totally uncalled for action of these insult's to what police are supposed to be.
edit on 16-4-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Instead of fining kind souls for feeding homeless people, maybe they should be looking for solutions as to why there are so many homeless people and get them the help they deserve.

Cops have a job to do. One of their jobs is to find homeless
people on the street and tell them to move on.

The whole idea behind not feeding the homeless is the same
for not feed the birds... when you do, you just get more birds.

They don't want that... out of sight out of mind.

In Las Vegas, the False Authorities don't want them to be seen and
then don't want 'em to congregate... it's bad for the tourism business.

"Keep it moving fella"

edit on 16-4-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join