It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

As many have said, these companies will die out slowly as it is not profitable to go against overall public opinion as you will alienate most of your customer base and fold.

Yeah that have been suggested many times by few posters. The problem is that it will not always work.

It will probably work for most businesses in big cities but...

If a business is in a town that is predominately Christian that agree with discrimination then obviously that business will not fold.

So you see it's difficult to find a solution.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

As many have said, these companies will die out slowly as it is not profitable to go against overall public opinion as you will alienate most of your customer base and fold.

Yeah that have been suggested many times by few posters. The problem is that it will not always work.

It will probably work for most businesses in big cities but...

If a business is in a town that is predominately Christian that agree with discrimination then obviously that business will not fold.

So you see it's difficult to find a solution.

I would only suggest those of an alternative lifestyle in a small christian town to move away.

thats not a joke either, small town mentality is for the small minded.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

thats not a joke either, small town mentality is for the small minded.

LOL thanks for the laugh.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Obviously this subject is too deep for us, and should only be handled with proper guidance by our local Starbucks barista.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
To answer the OP, both. Boycott what you don't believe in.

However, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed specifically to end this because of the Jim Crow laws & Segregation. Entire towns could legally deny black people service, be it gas stations, hospitals, dentists, restaurants, etc. Colleges would do it, as would landlords, government agencies, and any other establishment. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 made that illegal & is the law generally accepted as bringing the end to racial Segregation in America.

People can still legally discriminate in private clubs. But if you're opening your business to the public, you're supposed to serve the entire public.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant
Don't you think equating the Civil Rights and Segregation struggle to a segment of society that wants to act in an abberated lifestyle is an insult to the African American community?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I wonder how Christians would respond to being denied service for being Christians. They would cry discrimination and persecution. I'm not broad brushing all Christians as gay hating bigots, mind you. I just wonder why there are so many who don't consider the golden rule (do unto others as you would have done unto you). I wonder many things about Christians..

edit on 4-4-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

The Golden Rule doesn't give you a free pass in life.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

A free pass to do what? And where did I imply it did?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

You were saying why don't people consider the Golden Rule (do unto others as you would have done unto you). That's all fine for everyday courtesy, yet if you act in a abberated behavior people are not going to want you around them therefore you cannot expect the Golden Rule to apply.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Maybe a better question would be:

Will anyone dare to remove the law and allow businesses to discriminate anyone?

What do you think would happen? Sure many people would boycott those types of businesses but are we sure that will work?

Will we go back to what it was like in the 50's and 60's?

Will it be for better or for worse? Will the internet help shut down those types of businesses?

Will anyone really want to dare?
edit on 4/4/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
Don't you think equating the Civil Rights and Segregation struggle to a segment of society that wants to act in an abberated lifestyle is an insult to the African American community?

Asking a question like that while labeling a segment of society to have an "aberrated lifestyle" seems more like an insult to me.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Asking a question like that while labeling a segment of society to have an "aberrated lifestyle" seems more like an insult to me.

I am sure it does seem like an insult to you.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I don't think there are situations where it doesn't apply though. I don't think it's necessarily situational either. The point I was making was this. Why don't people who want to discriminate against others (for whatever reason) think about how they would feel being discriminated against. It's not about having a free pass on anything. It's just thinking about how to treat other people.

edit on 4-4-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

It's okay. I was insulted at first but then I looked up "abberrated" and the word doesn't exist. Red squiggles galore.

And here I thought the thread was going to devolve into a name calling session as per usual. Thankfully, that's not the case. Just stupidity.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Let's take it to an extreme measure the pedophile. It's hard to use the golden rule when a pedophile moves into your neighborhood now isn't it. You and your neighbors are going to want that person gone ASAP. I doubt there would be a welcome wagon committee or friendly gestures towards that individual.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I am sure it does seem like an insult to you.

As a heterosexual white male combat vet it does seem like an insult. Even if you spelled it wrong.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Good for you! I like to see people that can overcome their circumstances.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

LOL it seems that the homosexuality discussion always devolve into discussion about pedophilia. There should be a Godwin's Law version of this.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

I knew what he was trying to say even though he couldn't spell it correctly.

Maybe that gives people a pass.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join