It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Times are Headed for D.C. - And a Whole Lot of Cannabis Chaos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Source

In 10 days, a voter-approved initiative to legalize marijuana will take effect, D.C. officials say. Residents and visitors old enough to drink a beer will be able to possess enough pot to roll 100 joints. They will be able to carry it, share it, smoke it and grow it.

I can't wait to watch this unfold. Part of me thinks this could be one big social experiment, but I will reserve judgment for now. When discussing this topic, I do like where the country is heading.

It’s entirely unclear how anyone will obtain it. Unlike the four states where voters have approved recreational pot use, the District government has been barred from establishing rules governing how marijuana will be sold. It was prohibited from doing so by Congress, which has jurisdiction over the city.

I still wonder, why would the District legalize a substance that it cannot control the sale of? Could they possibly have bigger plans? Just remember, nothing happens by accident in politics. Regardless of the governments plans, I would certainly get excited if you live in the area.

Two ballrooms on Capitol Hill are already reserved for a pot expo on Feb. 28. A date for a massive marijuana seed giveaway is in the works for early March. Some are planning “cannabis clubs” with membership fees and access to the plant. Others hope to offer high-end catered dinners cooked in marijuana-infused oils; recently, an underground test dinner was served a mile and a half north of the White House.

Here is more info about the convention.

The District police force have been told to relax on minor possession and usage as well. And incase it wasn't obvious, be responsible. No public parks or monuments.

The guidance calls for District police to not arrest or issue fines for pot possession or use it as a pretext to investigate other criminal behavior. But there are many areas that will likely not become clear until litigated, the officials said.

I don't care how positive your vibes are, just mind your own business and remember that most children don't deserve to get thrusted into a lifestyle completely out of their control that would jeopardize their true potential. Both at home or in deep woods are great places to safely relax without fear of influencing or offending others.

Adam Eidinger, who organized the petition drive to get Initiative 71 on the ballot, said the odds of dangerous marijuana are low. He is more concerned about police not clarifying aspects of enforcement, such as whether marijuana can be grown on balconies, or only inside residences.

With the way police have been behaving lately, I would be too. They recommend the safest way to enjoy the initiative is to grow your own and stay home when using. Which I'm guessing is what the majority of users are going to do. Anyways, good luck to them.

edit on 15-2-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Oh well how nice of THEM to enjoy it.

All I have to say. S + F

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Because if its one thing cannabis is known for its spreading chaos! Pssshah!

I say good. Its time we stopped the BS war on drugs. Its a failed policy that has done nothing positive for this nation.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

this is a step in the right direction.
one day people won't be afraid to lose their job, their school loans, their freedom, their family for a simple plant.

my opinion:
i feel that once cannabis prohibition falls, we will see an increase in the use of designer drugs. drugs like bath salts and acetyl fentanyl will dominate the news headlines. in fact it already has begun to hit the airwaves. this new wave will be used to convince the public that we need DEA in a bigger role (read budget) in the war on drugs.

fox news story regarding acetyl fentanyl
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This report is in The Telegraph today.

Super strong cannabis responsible for quarter of new psychosis cases

Risk of developing psychosis up to five times greater for those who smoke 'skunk' cannabis every day

Experts have said that cannabis is far from being a “safe” drug and no one under the age of 30 should ever use it

One in four new cases of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia could be the direct result of smoking extra-strong varieties of cannabis, a major new study concludes.

The finding suggests that about 60,000 people in Britain are currently living with conditions involving hallucinations and paranoid episodes brought on by abuse of high-potency cannabis, known as skunk, and more than 300,000 people who have smoked skunk will experience such problems in their lifetime.

The six-year study, the first of its kind in Britain, calculates that daily users of skunk are five times more likely to suffer psychosis than those who never touch it.

Psychiatrists said there is now an “urgent need” for a drive to educate the public about the risks involved with the substance. It is believed that even newer varieties, some of them more than twice as potent as those currently available on British streets, have already been developed in the Netherlands.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Oh well how nice of THEM to enjoy it.

All I have to say. S + F

Do the work like WE did and you can too.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Most people aren't used to super strong cannabis. So there's no surprise suddenly downing on it and enjoying various forms of highly potent stuff can affect the human mind.

This unfortunately won't be the last piece trying to point out the negative and totally negate all the benefits.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

What work? It's no surprise the gov and they're local buddies benefit from this while most of the country are considered criminals. Do as I say not as I do, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

It is however, a rather disturbing and potent ''negative'' aspect that people should be aware of and educated on.

Informed is better than uninformed, especially when it is something as major as psychosis.

Wouldn't you agree?

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
This report is in The Telegraph today.

Super strong cannabis responsible for quarter of new psychosis cases

Risk of developing psychosis up to five times greater for those who smoke 'skunk' cannabis every day

Experts have said that cannabis is far from being a “safe” drug and no one under the age of 30 should ever use it

One in four new cases of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia could be the direct result of smoking extra-strong varieties of cannabis, a major new study concludes.

The finding suggests that about 60,000 people in Britain are currently living with conditions involving hallucinations and paranoid episodes brought on by abuse of high-potency cannabis, known as skunk, and more than 300,000 people who have smoked skunk will experience such problems in their lifetime.

The six-year study, the first of its kind in Britain, calculates that daily users of skunk are five times more likely to suffer psychosis than those who never touch it.

Psychiatrists said there is now an “urgent need” for a drive to educate the public about the risks involved with the substance. It is believed that even newer varieties, some of them more than twice as potent as those currently available on British streets, have already been developed in the Netherlands.

Ok, then. Now The Telegraph needs to post the results of studies about the effects of alcohol, tobacco, and prescription pain-killers.

Of all the "drugs" out there, MJ is definitely the safest.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Most people aren't used to super strong cannabis. So there's no surprise suddenly downing on it and enjoying various forms of highly potent stuff can affect the human mind.

This unfortunately won't be the last piece trying to point out the negative and totally negate all the benefits.

Yep. Just like the idiot tourists in Colorado who are eating too many edibles and going to the hospital with an "overdose" after they freak out.

There will be a learning curve for some people, just like with any other stimulating substance.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Of course I agree. However I'm not falling for their bull. It's far safer than alcohol and tobacco. And that study was in England, super potent to them is average quality for the average moderate to heavy legal user in America.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Responsibility and common sense apply to this, if someone eats too much and "ODs" they either ignored all advice or simply didn't know.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

They do report on other things, when there is relevant research.

However, the point is that it is research about a specific drug, new research, new research that is important and most certainly newsworthy.

It wouldn't be ethical to not report that bears are dangerous just because lions are too.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

But this thread isn't about alcohol or tobacco.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

And it isn't about marijuana causing a surge in "new psychosis cases". Which is the media's rather pathetic attempt to sway public opinion against it.

Far safer. Period.

link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

They do report on other things, when there is relevant research.

However, the point is that it is research about a specific drug, new research, new research that is important and most certainly newsworthy.

It wouldn't be ethical to not report that bears are dangerous just because lions are too.

Information is important, when it is non-biased.

The problem is, many publications cherry-pick information to push their own agenda.
edit on 2/15/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

link   

I don't care how positive your vibes are, just mind your own business ...

You could say, "mind your business" -- as cannabis will make a few people very, very wealthy. If I had money to invest, I'd be looking into the front runners of this new emerging market to retire on.
edit on 15-2-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It may be illegal Federally right now, but there are a lot of bills floating around. The MPP (Marijuana Policy Project) is following quite a few. All of them seem to be in the House of Representatives, not in the Senate: House bills being followed

edit on 15-2-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

The research is relevant to the thread, comparing it to alcohol or tobacco isn't.

It isn't a debate on which is worst.

It is newsworthy research that should be part of educating people.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join