It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamergate and Cyber Bullying

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I always saw a difference between a feminist and a feminazi. I consider myself to be a feminist,

Good then you can change your name to Iamnotthatbish. LOL

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
I had never heard of this and frankly I couldn't help but chuckle as I watched the videos.

Am I the only one that thought this was a joke? They were serious?

This is what our world is coming to??

People need to get a life. I spent 1000 hrs playing...........REALLY?

We are doomed.

Turn it off and do something real, ANYTHING.

Im only replying for the bit in bold, and yes feel free to berate and belittle me for it. I play games (not as much as I did a few years ago) as a break from the real world, a few hours a week I sit down at my PC and play, the hours rack up. I am not harming anyone, I am interacting with anywhere between 4 and 100 people at any one time depending on the game. I chat to them about real life, music, films, family life etc. Same sort of conversations that spark up when Im in the pub on a friday night.

I have seen people like you constantly insult people who play computer games saying "get a life", so now I shall give two more and different replies to you now:

1. Most gamers will interact and have long lasting friendships with people they interact with, play with, solve puzzles with, then most people will in their whole life... even more so then people who sit on the internet saying others should get a life. Each to their own, they are living they way the want to, they are not harming you but you still feel the need to judge us by your standards, to go with the flow and join the rest of the boring world in YOUR general view of how life should be lead. Why would we follow the sheep when we can lead the flock.

2. Why should we settle with your life? The other night I thought against the Iron horde on another planet with 29 other people just before diving into a war zone with lasers and big ass guns. After the carnage had settled I went to my own piece of heaven to construct a house for myself and then went to my friends corner of the same heaven and blew his house up for a giggle. Why should I go home after work, sit down and listen to the latest gossip on someones flat ass when I can be what ever I want to be?

Now to join the replies:

Why should we be like you? Insulting people on the internet trying to force them to live your standard of life, dull and pale when we can sit down, turn on, log in and explorer, learn, expand and enjoy SOCIAL interaction with 1000's of other like minded people.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Anita Sarkeesian is nothing but a professional victim like most feminists. She's made a career from attacking the gaming industry despite never having played any of the games featured in her videos.

She's a despicable character who has achieved nothing but division and ignorance.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
There are too many valid points made about Sarkeesian et al that might warrant taking a look. In one video apparently she says she loves video games, but when she's in front of all women in another video, she says she doesn't like video games. Her kickstarter campaign reached its goal but never delivered. She basically took the money and run.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
To me, gamergate is a bunch of pathetic virgins living in mommy's basement that are pissed that they cant find a girl, and theonly girl they will EVER get is their right hand, or have to PAY for one

Douche.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Zoe Quinn is a nightmare of a person and is actively contributing to the destruction of gaming culture. I despise this person well and truly.

7XGM NOX MAGE

SUCK IT.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Anita Sarkeesian is nothing but a professional victim like most feminists. She's made a career from attacking the gaming industry despite never having played any of the games featured in her videos.

I think Quinn and Sarkeesian have managed to carve out a nice niche for themselves, getting paid for their opinion, without having to published peer reviewed work, nor conduct any real research. Its astounds me that they have found a way to make themselves relevant in an industry that they never worked in.

However, Gamergate is equally as useless. If they REALLY wanted to push back at people like Quinn and Sarkeesian all they really need to do is start a PAC (Political action committee) like all the big corps do. With the right amount of money and political support they could makes all these women's influence vanish overnight, by nitpicking their power through incremental legislation. BUT that requires real leadership and an actual long term strategy. Without that these women's influence will grow unchecked, due to not having a legitimate organization opposing their feminist position. Gamergate has to do EXACTLY what the NRA did when they formed the "Political Victory Fund" PAC. Not doing so means the Gamergate movement and opinion is meaningless. However, I think this is to complex and strategic for these people to implement.

I suspect that these videogame feminists are being financially supports by a group with deep pockets because as we all know, a big company can put anyone "out of business" these days by issuing endless IP takedown claims, cease and desist orders and frivolous court actions used to drain the recipient of money needed to pay for legal representation. In fact, I'm actually surprised that Video Publishers and designer haven't formed a PAC already to protect their political interests and counter dissent. Are videogame company executives short sighted buffoons too?
edit on 12-2-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Coming soon:

#GaymerGate - how homosexuals are unfairly portrayed in video games.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
But one has to wonder, is everyone involved in the #Gamergate movement as crazy as this guy, or is he just making a bad name for the movement? Obviously he is crazy, and are feminists jumping on the opportunity to say "See? I told you men are out to get us" from this outlier?

originally posted by: darkbake
I agree with this, I think that the few crazy people who go too far are taken out of proportion to make it look like any opponent to the feminist movement is like them.

Then why didn't you google and find a handful of better gamergate representatives? Would have taken thirty seconds or something like that, OP.

I hold feminist values and even I wouldn't say that gamegate people are all evil and crazy. Some of them even have valid points. Some of them even come to my work and manage to get all the way from one end of the office to the other without oppressing anyone. We even have debates about it without stabbing each other with spoons.

Why do people constantly have to turn otherwise potential intelligent discussion into toxic nonsense?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

This is real?

His mother is uh..

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What they say is true however video games have been predominately consumed by males. That has been changing but it is still male dominated.

COnsidering games are a fantasy... a game with a hypersexualized female that needs saving by you the hero is appealing... especially if you get to be the bbad ass in the process.(if you are male) Games are fantasy... they will cater to the dominant audience. Sex sells...especially to men.

Feminists have a gold mine on their hands if tailoring games to women is the way to go. Instead of doing that they will instead bch to a man incessantly till he changes or concedes a few things on their games.

the curious part is that there are countless of books, tv shows and movies where men are depicted in a way not true to life. They are either the perfect man according to the fantasy of a woman.. or they are buffoons who are out smarted by women and children a like.

I wouldn't pay too much mind to these women. They are victims of feminism. It is very heartbreaking seeing the results of feminism. I dated a few women who were hardcore feminists... they are soo twisted as they are taught to hate everything about being a woman. It is very sad cuz you see their dissatisfaction in life... At least that has been my experience with them.

Cyberbullying..is a non issue turn off the computer, block people , or don't read it. Death threats... i would never sleep if i took them seriously. Playing enough heroes of newerth and chatting with people online have gotten me ample death threats and cancer wished upon me. The time and effort to actually carrying out a death threat is pretty extensive and not something that every person who death threats you will do.. That is unless you have a deeprooted history with the person and that would make it something else.

If some random guy posts "I will kill you" on a youtube video i made I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I have been threatened by people at partys or bars.. they are no more scary than net threats.

People take the net too seriously. If you get all huffy about an insult or threat online.. then you must be pretty sheltered.

I think people throwing out death threats is wrong..many people are emboldened by their anoninimity and others are just nasty people. I am wary of legislation to deal with death threats on the net.. once the gov gets the foot in door.. you will never get them out.

edit on 12-2-2015 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I'm not a big Gamer but i do ove to read, my favourite genres are sci fi, urban fantasy and fantasy. It is frustrating as a women to invest and spend time reading a book, where the women are sappy, please can some man save me princesses.
I like characters with guns and swords killing the bad guys on her own. Strong female characters.
Whats wrong with women in the gaing community expressing the opinion that games are disappointing and asking for stronger female characters.
Games may be an art form but then all art is put up for critisims. and for review, they are just telling it like it it!

If you can't find strong female characters in those genre, you haven't been looking. I have a pretty big library and most of my protags are female.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Awolscout

I always thought it was about the incestuous relationship between gaming media and gaming companies. People like the ones in the OP were just using that relationship to push their agenda to seem more mainstream than it really is.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: thekaboose

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. Because I have the picture in my head of 1000's of hours alone with the game and yourself.

I am not into gaming, and that, I must admit was the generalization I had in my mind.

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject. And thank you for your clear reply.

Times have changed and I am getting old, but never to old to learn or admit I was wrong.

Forgive me?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I would say this: Gamergate started off as some whiny little guy who was upset that he lost his girlfriend. Instead of being a mature adult about it he spewed it all over the internet for everyone to see. Private business should be private business.

Then Gamergate formed. Forget that fact that putting the world "Gate" after everything makes you look like a retard...because then it became an attack on Feminists in Gaming or really any woman that had an opinion that these little gamergate morons didn't agree with.

Many will argue that it's about ethics, but that's like saying you wanted to Join the KKK for the cool hats and robes and you aren't a racist. LOL

Form another hashtag and movement if you feel like you really need to address ethics in gaming....and let's all not forget that the word hashtag is also retarded. It's a pound sign for gods sake! ...and we used to just call those things tags until some retard decided it would be better to add another syllable?? What?

I stand in solidarity with anyone that is getting bullied anywhere no matter what. The three ladies mentioned in the OP have a right to express any opinion they want. free speech...they do not take their opinions to a hate/threat level and should expect the same in return.

So much wrong with this. like why aren't the police taking these threats seriously? Why do people still support gamergate when it's morphed into a terrorist/violent/anti female rights group.

Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, or Brianna Wu are welcome in my Dojo anytime. I got your back.

Can't stand cave man, terrorists who post online death threats to people they don't agree with. Let's put a stop to online domestic terrorists, shall we?
edit on 12-2-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

And I'll say it again...saying that all gamergaters aren't terrorist hate mongering anti woman cavemen is like saying that you wanted to join the KKK because you like the cool hats and robes. That doesn't cut it.
edit on 12-2-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Women including the those mentioned in the OP, have a point... they're also making video games that fit their idea of gaming. That said, art is subjective and above reproach as far as banning goes. Video games are art, they have stories as well as visual art. It's a free speech issue. These ladies can complain all they want but leave it at that.

The dudes... sick pieces of crap in my opinion. Stating that Super Mario is sexist does not stack up to be as equally horrifying as threatening and encouraging those who might just be that crazy to murder and rape women.

I hope you bro's remember that the women are entitled to criticize as they will. Entitled to call any game they like, sexist, entitled to call out the whole culture as sexist... as long as they aren't trying to file legislation to censor... it's just words and you gamergate bro's have taken this BS way too far.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

edit on 12pmThu, 12 Feb 2015 17:51:00 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

So you are saying that not all people involved with Gamergate are violent lunatics and that some have reasonable opinions? Then we agree.

I was posting questions in my O.P. in order to promote discussion. It would defeat the purpose to Google search and answer questions that were meant for readers. I'm not talking to myself here. With the way feminists were portraying this guy in the video (before writing this post I read many different articles on this), they certainly seemed to be trying to make it seem like most Gamergate people were like him. In fact, before I did my own research, that was the opinion I had (and it changed).

I watched some of his videos and I came to the conclusion that the guy in the video is mentally ill and that is the origin of his deranged behavior, not being a member of Gamergate. People on this forum post have come out against the women mentioned in the O.P. with legitimate points and they haven't been violent.
edit on 12pmThu, 12 Feb 2015 18:04:06 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

You are, but IMO, there is a difference to my eye between male wish fulfillment and something as obviously degrading as ...

www.youtube.com...

If you click to link, you will see why I did not just link the video. It is quite obviously NSFW and misogynist and sexist or whatever you want to call it. I just call it trash much like about every serious reviewer.

But let's be honest, if women are allowed to have their wish fulfillment in the forms of things like the entire 'Twilight" saga and 50 Shades of Gray, then why are we so fussed about the simply male wish fulfillment in video games?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Actually the guys IMO are being big douches BUT the feminists are trying to impact gaming in a real way (negative) stripping artistic freedom is what they want to do. The reason the media is pushing it so hard is because they want to make it legislation, that's the overall problem here.

If we had a few feminists voicing their opinions and talking badly about the games fine, if they point out people who should be jailed for harassment fine, they aren't asking for that at all. They want to mold gaming in their image of what games should be and make money off of it, that is where the problem lies.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I find that some feminists get really annoyed at small things and can't differentiate between something really degrading and something like Princess Peach being captured and put in a castle.

They try to make it seem like Princess Peach and Mario are as evil as the guy threatening to kill people, which is just out of proportion.

I agree with you.
edit on 12pmThu, 12 Feb 2015 18:01:12 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join