It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "White Privilege?"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Well see, you just proved "their" point.

The fact that you think it's a myth shows you're oblivious to your own white privilege and supremacy that you're benefiting from every day. You've now self-identified as part of the problem, and your way of life must be righteously "dismantled."

Stirring up a little racial tension on a Sunday afternoon eh? Nobody and I mean nobody is more obsessed with race in this country than white conservatives.

"White privilege" describes a single example of societal privilege — the difference in experiences of individuals who are members of the dominate class and those who are not. Do you not believe in the stratification of society or is it just this one instance that is difficult for you to accept? I'm sure you can recognize examples of this phenomena in circumstances where political bias isn't impeding your thinking.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

LOL. Whaaat! You've got a computer you've got electricity to run the computer and pay for internet access.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

It's very simple. And if anybody were to deny the following as being accurate, you're just lying, or ignorant of how the world works outside of your little bubble.

It is easier to attain success, as a white person, as opposed to somebody of any other color/race in North America

You're exemplifying the exact indoctrination strategy that I've pointed out.

You pre-frame your belief with an ad hominem attack on anybody who may disagree with what you're about to say.

How about this.

Your thesis is this: It is easier for a white person to attain success than any other race/color in North America.

You are making that claim. How do you define "success" and "easier?"

Your claim is not provable. Just an opinion. Labeling those who disagree with it as somehow inferior demonstrates the nature of how indoctrination and brainwashing works.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

So?

Then I look at my TV and see Obama.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Why did black people have to ride on the back of buses in the south up until a poor black lady started a protest

The Montgomery Bus Boycott, a seminal event in the U.S. civil rights movement, was a political and social protest campaign against the policy of racial segregation on the public transit system of Montgomery, Alabama. The campaign lasted from December 1, 1955—when Rosa Parks, an African American woman, was arrested for refusing to surrender her seat to a white person—to December 20, 1956, when a federal ruling, Browder v. Gayle, took effect, and led to a United States Supreme Court decision that declared the Alabama and Montgomery laws requiring segregated buses to be unconstitutional.[1] Many important figures in the civil rights movement took part in the boycott, including Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. and Ralph Abernathy

Why did black people have to drink out of seperate water fountains

Segregation of public facilities — including water fountains and restrooms — was officially outlawed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on July 2, 1964, after a rare cloture vote in the U.S. Senate. (Sen. Robert F. Byrd, D-W.Va., a former Klansman, spoke against the bill on the Senate floor for 14 hours, 13 minutes straight.)

Granted that dark era of overt racism is over.

But there still remains traces of advantage for whites over non whites?

edit on 25-1-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

"I do not know what is the basis behind it but other ethnicities do look to whites for the answers and the blame. Whites can deny that this is true but I do not see what difference it makes.
Whites need to step up to the plate and own it. Trouble is many in other ethnicities would find that insulting. So here are the whites, running the world but can not acknowledge that they are privileged to do so as it would upset other ethnicities to bring to the surface what everyone already knew. "

I am not sure I understand you exactly because this all sounds very white supremest.
In effect what you have just said if I understand you right, is that only White People can fix the to worlds woes because most other ethnicity's simply cannot think for themselves?
You go on to say if I understand right, that sure other ethnic groups will get mad, so white people just have to make all these changes for the world quietly and softly so that no one gets their feelings hurt.

Now I am certain that this is not what you mean so if you could maybe restate what your trying to say?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Exactly. Racial quotas, "advance him because he's black or we'll be sued" most certainly exists. Being black isn't an excuse, it's a race. Same with being white. Blacks are given an edge in modern society because we have a government that would rather reward people simply because "they suffered as slaves over a hundred years ago", than because they have actual ability.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I was confused... So I Googled "white privilege" and found this definition, direct from the www.myholyoke.edu website.

Not for one second do I believe you. 'Confused' lol! Damn near EVERY thread and post of yours is brimming over with barely concealed racial overtones! 'Confused' my ass!!!

Y'all JUST heard this term and had to google it?? Jeez. Yesterday you where replying to guys talking about white privilidge.

Racial sociopaths have a stennch about them.

Whats your response gonna be?? Y'all gonna drop the 'why are you offended line again? Or will it be a dig that i'm a 'liberal or progressive?' Man you'v got like 5 stock responses from your agenda list lol

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

It means that the ruling population of America is white and its only recently did they not practice overt racism.

Indeed, only since the civil rights era of the 50, 60’s and on did some measure of racial equality even begin to exist.

For people to deny this is just being stubborn.

Thanks!

Another great example of the indoctrination strategy.

Label and disparage those who disagree ahead of time, before they even have a chance to speak. Just the mere objection to your premise means the person objecting is inferior.

Very closed-minded, divisive and tyrannical approach.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

It's very simple. And if anybody were to deny the following as being accurate, you're just lying, or ignorant of how the world works outside of your little bubble.

It is easier to attain success, as a white person, as opposed to somebody of any other color/race in North America

That is the essence of white privilege. It's institutional, not personal racism. Our society, as a whole was built for white people, up until the 60's ish. We've come a very long way at eradicating that and creating a more multicultural system, where people of non white color CAN succeed at the same rate as whites.

But that's not the case for a lot of different places in North America still.

Now just because it exists, doesn't mean we get to bash whites over the head with it, everytime it comes up. Like Feminism and the use of Male Privilege. Yeah, it exists, but 98% of men aren't actively USING their so called privilege to keep women down.

That would be same thing in the case of white privilege.

~Tenth

How come Asian Americans are the "highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States."
www.pewresearch.org...

edit on 25-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
White people can enjoy time machines while others can't, lol. Certainly a privilege if you ask me!

*WARNING*

link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
So "white privilege" is a concept to stereotype, label, and blame "whites" as being racists who are happy perpetuating their "white supremacy."

(...)

Create a concept that defines whites as racists, and when they object, declare that their objections to being called "racists" proves they're racists.

Not at all. It's the concept that whites, as the long-running ethnic majority in this country, have a position of privilege relative to other ethnic groups. The concept theorizes that most white people are unaware of this, as the cultural norms are so overwhelmingly "white" that it actually becomes invisible to their perceptions. That white culture in America is so dominant that it's just written off as "default" and "normal" rahter than understood as "white culture."

Astounding how both you and the anecdotal college student you open with seem to have identical understandings of the concept, even though you believe she's wrong.

link   
a reply to: Willtell

It's called the past. Why do whites have to pay for the crimes of their ancestors? Do people not realize blacks were sold into slavery by other blacks? By your logic, they can't possibly have any edge because they were subjugated in the past.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I will take a stab at that one if you don't mind.
Because the culture many of them come from has an amazing work ethic? LOL

link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And you don't get to bash us over the head with it ... and yet somehow you do. No one misses a chance to claim that white privilege kept them down.

It reminds me of that racial sensitivity conference I attended where I sat at a table full of blacks and they all leveled a bunch of racial stereotypes of whites at me. Then one of them had the nerve to say, "I don't know why you all get to mad when we talk about y'all like this. It's not like we think all whites are like this. You just take it so personally."

You know. When you sit there and direct a bunch of stereotypes against someone who is the only white person at the table who has been raised her whole life to NOT think of black people in stereotypical terms because that would be racist, it's like I'm hearing all them talking about me in the following manner:

"Those people are just a bunch of lazy watermelon and fried chicken eating folks who just sit on their porch all day!" (and any other negative stereotypes of blacks I can think of ... only make them negative white stereotypes to get an idea.)

That's sort of how I feel about white privilege. It's another negative stereotype. It's a grand conspiracy that people of color would rather buy into to excuse some of their own failings.

link   

Your welcome. I'm glad to have enlightened you!

The local library may have items that further enlighten you.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

They should be outraged by the Arabs, too, but no one suggests that American Arabs should pay just as much as American whites. After all, the route that blacks were forced to march across the Sahara was just as punishing and deadly as the slaves ships of the Europeans and it was the Arabs who were making the blacks take that march.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Eisegesis is apropos in this discussion. LOL
Lewis CK is definitaly into that, as it regards this conversation.

eis·ege·sis
noun \ˌī-sə-ˈjē-səs, ˈī-sə-ˌ\
plural eis·ege·ses
Definition of EISEGESIS
: the interpretation of a text by reading into it one's own ideas — compare exegesis

link   
White privelege is a concept designed to make white folks think they have things too good, and that the standard playing field is not liberty and equality, but that we all should all be lowered to the point of beung treated as subhumans. It is meant to deceive those that have eroding rights, that they actually have too many. It is a devious bit of divide and concquer classism.

Instead of raising up those around us that have been unfairly discriminated against to enjoy basic liberties, the idea of white provelege is that ones meager living and rights, if one is white, are actually too much and you should feel guilty about not being unfairly discriminated against. The point is to remove rights and push people down, instead of lifting people up. And so, this concept has been born in order to equate the idea of basic human liberties as being a privelege.

edit on 25-1-2015 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: Willtell

It's called the past. Why do whites have to pay for the crimes of their ancestors? Do people not realize blacks were sold into slavery by other blacks? By your logic, they can't possibly have any edge because they were subjugated in the past.

Nobody is calling for white people to pay.

I’m just pointing out that to some degree the ruling population in ANY COUNTRY will have inherent privileges over minorities.

Particularly when there has been a historical oppression of minorities.

The question of affirmative action is another issue entirely

Is their Jewish privilege in Israel?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join