It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans Passes Extensive Smoking Ban

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Krazysh0t

you call me selfish - you have asthma and you therefore demand that all smoking stop in ALL restaurants and bars, leaving no place for me to smoke and socialize with my friends without having to listen to your non-stop whining.

Yes, I call you selfish. You are selfish for smoking and expecting other people around you to automatically be ok with that, or at least their opinions be damned. THAT is selfish. And again, it takes 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette. That isn't that much time away from your friends socializing. Though I don't know how you do it in Ontario, but all my friends do cigarette breaks together and go out to smoke in groups so they can continue to socialize. Heck, sometimes those social groups include me since I have no trouble breathing next to someone smoking outside. Have such crazy ideas not reached that far north yet?

I call you a bully who likes to control others and punish them because they choose to do something you disapprove of.

Oh boohoo. Grow up and accept responsibility for your actions.

I have already posted a link in this thread outlining smokers who have been victims of crime - you should have read it when I posted it. I do not wish to post more links for someone who doesn't bother reading them

Tired of Control Freaks

I'm not combing through a 9 page thread for your link. I really don't care anyways. I know my body and I know my rights. I also know the credence, do unto others and you certainly aren't "doing unto others" by forcing them to breath your filthy air against their wishes.

So sorry, I don't care about your plight. The world isn't changing back, you can fight and whine about it all you like, but you better just get used to standing outside to smoke. It hasn't killed you yet, and even if it is too cold you can sit in your car. Your arrogance and selfishness isn't endearing me to your plight though.
edit on 26-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Yeah - you must be right - Everyone knows that Prohibitions never end! Never Never Never.

Have you considered that your smoking friends might like to go for a beer sometime and smoke a cigarette. Are you so self-centered that you cannot allow your friends to socialize in comfort and warmth? Do you have to be with them at all times?

You can go out and have a beer and socialize with your friends - why can't smokers do the same - WITHOUT YOU and PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Yeah - you must be right - Everyone knows that Prohibitions never end! Never Never Never.

It isn't a prohibition though. You keep getting hung up on that detail. No one is throwing you in jail for smoking a cigarette. You just can't smoke indoors. You also can't walk into a restaurant barefoot, that doesn't mean there is a prohibition against barefootedness.

Have you considered that your smoking friends might like to go for a beer sometime and smoke a cigarette. Are you so self-centered that you cannot allow your friends to socialize in comfort and warmth? Do you have to be with them at all times?

They are drinking a beer, then when they have to smoke a cigarette, they put their beer down (usually with me watching them) then go outside and smoke their cigarette. 5 minutes later they come back inside and they then continue to drink their beer. Out of an hour of socializing in comfort and warmth they may go for 2 or 3 cigarettes. So that is 15 minutes in the cold (sometimes even with heaters!) then spend the remaining time in the warmth.

You can go out and have a beer and socialize with your friends - why can't smokers do the same - WITHOUT YOU and PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

Tired of Control Freaks

Because that is called discrimination. I shouldn't be restricted in the activities that I am able to do because of a choice YOU are making to do. See, you are making a mountain out of a molehill by pretending like it is this HUGE travesty that you have to stand outside to smoke a cigarette for 5 f#ing minutes. Seriously, grow up. I'm done with you again. I'm glad these bans are in place. Enjoy your tyranny.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

KrazySh0t I Think this is how he envisions his perfect world. Not sure anything can get past the smoke cloud around him.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Smokers like to have beer and a smoke AT THE SAME TIME. One of the major aspects of smoking is that it potentates other pleasures. That is the reason for a smoke after sex. A smoke while drinking a beer. A smoke while watching a sunset. A smoke after a good meal.

So how would you be inconvenienced by having to attend a non-smoking hospitality venue and leaving smokers to attend their own hospitality venues where smoking is allowed?

You show yourself for who you are. Like most people, you want to hang with smokers because in general they are the most interesting and fun people but you don't like smoke so you want to control them, under pain of law, and force them to party with you.

Anti-smokers are simply people who have usurped government power to force privately-owned venues to cater to your tastes and only your tastes.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

As for your little asthma diva tactics:

Here we have California, the state that has had comprehensive smoking bans since the mid-1990s (twenty years ago - time for a whole new generation of non-smokers, in a state with the lowest smoking rates in the country:

discovermagazine.com...

In the past 10 years, I’ve had to put more kids on steroids than ever before, which terrifies me,” said Kevin Hamilton, a respiratory therapist and administrator for Clinica Sierra Vista, a string of medical centers throughout the Central Valley that cares for about 50,000 low-income youngsters every year. “It can be overwhelming with patients in every room on inhalers and nebulizers” — the heavy artillery of an asthmatic’s medicinal arsenal. “These kids never get well, and now we have a generation who are permanently damaged by their constant exposure to pollution,”

Hey - I know - what if we shoot smokers on site. Once they are all gone and tobacco is eradicated, I am sure that asthma rates will decrease.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Hey - I know - what if we shoot smokers on site.

You might be on to something, how about non smokers start bringing in spray bottles and spray smokers in the face with water.

That shouldn't effect you should it?

edit on 09131America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jan 2015 15:09:40 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Why are you so eager to physically assault another human being?

Would it not be enough for you to be accountable and take responsibility to stay away from where smokers congregate?

There are lots of bars and restaurants who choose to be non-smoking, even before the bans existed, so that they could take advantage of a niche market of customers who didn't like smoking. Why can't you just go to a non-smoking bar or restaurant?

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Why are you so eager to physically assault another human being?

So you think spraying water in some ones face is assaulting but not smoke?

Your such a control freak, why can't I spray harmless clean water in your face?

Come on, it brings me pleasure and everyone knows that its funner to hang around with people that spray others in their face.

You don't want to get sprayed then stay home.

Tired of control Freaks

edit on 29131America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jan 2015 15:29:47 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

If that is really what you wish to do - then lets have a water fight. But in the meantime, you still have not explained why you can't refrain from attending bars and restaurants where smoking is allowed and instead choose to patronize and support business that cater to your non-smoking tastes?

Are you afraid that smoking bans in privately-owned hospitality venues are so unpopular that if the ban were ever lifted, or if there wasn't a police force assigned to enforce the ban, then no one would want to cater to non-smokers?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: RammerJammer

People don't go to bars to drink or smoke

Cool deal, I can hang out at your so called 'bar', sit there all night, not buy a drink, and not get thrown out?
I like it!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Depends on if there is a drink minimum or not. Do they not let designated drivers into the bars where you are from?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If that is really what you wish to do - then lets have a water fight.

No, but that is how absurd you are being.

You refuse to see that smoking is not only a health concern to some but highly annoying to people as well, but you couldn't care less. Yet you expect everyone to care about YOUR need to have a cigarette .

But in the meantime, you still have not explained why you can't refrain from attending bars and restaurants where smoking is allowed

I haven't explained it because I hadn't seen you ask me the question.
I have no problem with having a restaurant catering to one or the other, but I have a problem with legally allowing them to cater to both without physical separation.

The problem is, it doesn't work that way and non smokers didn't have the option to choose a non smoking environment. Most business are not going to choose one customer over the other. So what traditionally occurred was that all restaurants allowed smoking, but created an IMAGINARY line where non smokers could sit.

This does not work very well for non smokers nor non smoking employees that work in the establishment.

So if you want segregated restaurants than work for that and make you argument about that , but stop acting like smoking is not intrusive to others physical rights and comparing this ban to a gateway regime change to hitler.
edit on 55131America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jan 2015 15:55:04 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

No no no - you don't get to decide this. The hospitality venue owner does.

What you are saying is that you know, in your heart of hearts, that these divisive, draconian smoking bans are NOT popular and that given the chance, you are afraid that you will be left with no place to socialize.

Now ventilation technologies have really advanced. There are now air ventilation systems that can clean even microbes outs of the air. Microbes are much smaller in diameter than smoke molecules. They have carbon and green sand filters to remove all volatile organics that clean odour out of the air.

I was looking at one model that is used in a cigar lounge in Sweden. The air comes out of little holes in the floor and moves upward by temperature differentials. Smoke is a lighter than air gas. It immediately moves the smoke up, beyond your breathing zone and then is collected near the ceiling. The air is then passed through a hepa filter and a combined carbon and green sand filter.

What is needed here - and what the government should have done - was to set standards for indoor air quality and allow the venue owner to choose whether to install and maintain the ventilation system or to just go non-smoking.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

doesnt matter, he said people DO NOT go to bars to DRINK..
so therefore I can just hang out and not worry about having to buy a drink, rsince, you know, people dont go to bars to drink...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Apparently not but for some reason, we go to bars and restaurants to have water fights. Bring it on, baby! I have had many a water fight in my day!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The hospitality venue owner does.

You are saying that because you are on the winning end. How about if the hospitality and laws allowed for non smokers to legally spray water in the face of smokers . Would you be such advocate for such rights?

I don't care about ventilation technology because it doesn't work and is expensive for restaurant patrons.

Like I said it is not reasonable to force non smokers to inhale smoke from smokers. So the only fair option is to either prevent the physical violation or have PHYSICALLY separate environment to separate the two. However, I doubt restaurant owners would be too keen on that expense, hence they are banning it all accross.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

No - it is quite clear that some bar owners and some restaurant owners want to continue to provide for their smoking customers.

Smoking bans FORCE them to ban smoking on pain of fines and even removal of liquor licenses.

And it is quite clear that some bar owners and some restaurant owners want to provide an environment for non-smokers.

It is only the smokers who are banned from having a social life that they enjoy and find comfortable!

You haven't even mentioned that smoking bans do not address the problems of all people with breathing difficulties. Smokings bans do nothing to remove mould and fungus from the air and these things are even more major triggers for asthma than smoke!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

No - it is quite clear that some bar owners and some restaurant owners want to continue to provide for their smoking customers.

Continue to provide means that non smokers are FORCED to inhale smoke from smokers.

And it is quite clear that some bar owners and some restaurant owners want to provide an environment for non-smokers.

Like I said if restaurant owners want to create two PHYSICALLY separate areas than I'm ok with that. However, that is not the case. Business owners aren't going to wan't to invest on two PHYSICALLY separate areas.

Than what do you do when parties come in half smokers and half non smokers. I grew up in the restaurant business and even owned my own restaurant. I can tell you that once the ban was enforced it was much easier to run the floor as an all non smoking area.

It is only the smokers who are banned from having a social life that they enjoy and find comfortable!

Than take your own advice and don't go to a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking.

You haven't even mentioned that smoking bans do not address the problems of all people with breathing difficulties. Smokings bans do nothing to remove mould and fungus from the air and these things are even more major triggers for asthma than smoke!

You are again getting of track and trying to make a silly argument.

First off, you do have health inspectors that check for mould and fungus.

Secondly, mould and Fungus grows by itself and unintentionally, cigarettes don't smoke themselves and someone is intentionally choosing to violate some ones physical rights.
edit on 47131America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jan 2015 16:47:19 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 49131America/ChicagoMon, 26 Jan 2015 16:49:07 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Nope - nonsmokers were never FORCED to enter a bar or restaurant that allowed smoking! That was their choice entirely.

As for the issue of moulds and fungus - it is clear that health is of no concern to you. Smoking doesn't even make the top ten of triggers for asthma. As a matter of fact, smoking doesn't even make the list of the top ten.

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join