It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women's College Cancels 'Vagina Monologues' Because It Excludes Women Without Vaginas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Holyoke College, an all-women's school in Massachusetts,has decided to ban the classic play, The Vagina Monologues, because it excludes transgender students who identify as a woman, but actually have a penis.

I.e., it excludes those who identify as women but who don't have a vagina.

The reasoning expressed by one of the students who objected to the show:

"We can't present a show that is blatantly transphobic."

Seriously.

Can't make this up.

The PC "movement" has officially jumped the shark.

Source

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Political correctness, run amuck!

Big Pharm has a windfall when they come up with a new treatment?

+30 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

There is no such thing as a Woman without a Vagina...

& anyone with a Penis is a God damned Man...

I really don't care what you identify with speak to Mental Health Services and push for a medication that alleviates the disorder...

But don't talk nonsense about discrimination & equality.

This is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

To help maintain order, first, let's not deem it a "classic play."

It is hardly old enough to menstruate.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I really don't care what you identify with speak to Mental Health Services and push for a medication that alleviates the disorder...

my father came up with the cure years ago....he used to tell me to stick my head in a bucket of water for 5 minutes and that will fix pretty much anything

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I haven't seen or read anything about this "play" or whatever it is, but I've at least heard of the name a few times. Is the content of the play so graphic all around that it's an insult to the transgendered or something?

No?

Suck it up & just do it then. The audience you look for is one who appreciates the content, not those who aim to be offended in the first place.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

There is no such thing as a Woman without a Vagina...

& anyone with a Penis is a God damned Man...

But don't talk nonsense about discrimination & equality.

This is ridiculous.

Agree,

Best reply yet on this thread. Direct and well summarized.

This insane Political Correctness has to go.
edit on 16-1-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Stop the planet...

I think it might be time to get off...

Feels like my brain just cramped trying to follow that line of thought..

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
S&F for the funniest thread title of 2015

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Because it "excludes" them how?

This doesn't even make sense. You can perfectly well enjoy the monologues whether you have a vagina or not. In fact, many men I know have thoroughly done so. And in double fact, I would think that hearing about other vaginas might and ther perspectives from therein might actually help those trying to get a better grasp on their identifying selves.

This is more than just jumping the shark. It's filleting it and eating it too.

Lots of brain cramps round here today.
edit on 1/16/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The Vagina Monologues are dumb anyway. I was forced to watch them during Womens Studies Class (Sandwich-Making 101 as I so lovingly refer to it as). As a girl myself, I was actually offended by the monologues. Mainly because my teacher made us chant the "c" word out loud-- "Own it" she said. LOL no thanks. I don't like that word it's gross. Yeah I have a vagina but so what? Boys have penises. If a boy is a transsexual or a hermaphrodite then why would he be offended since he's not technically a physical woman? Get an operation then, I guess. Doesn't mean he should be treated like a girl because he has a penis and not a vagina. His hormones say he's male. His brain says female--and that's ok! But then get help for that.

So these trannies are getting offended by feminism? Really? sounds dumb.

I hate to stand up for the Monologues because I think that they're trash but in this case I have to say I think the show should go on.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I would like to start off by saying that I have nothing against gay, lesbian, or trans-gender people.

Trans-gender: of, relating to, or being a person (as a transsexual or a transvestite) who identifies with or expresses a gender identity that differs from the one which corresponds to the person's sex at birth.

This definition means that trans-gender people no matter what gender they claim or want to be are still the gender they were at birth no matter how they feel. I understand that these people are like "I know I'm a man on the outside but I'm a women on the inside", but that still doesn't change the fact that that person is a man no matter how he feels.

Now after decrypting that definition that brings up the fact that this play is an all female play... that means no males! When these trans-gender men try to join this pay saying they are a female and the people involved say that "she" can't be in the play, this does not mean that they have something against trans-genders, it means that these people see trans-gender men as males and they will always be males.

My conclusion: Trans-genders are still whatever gender they were born as and society will always see them as that gender not their presumed gender.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is just the beginning.

I would in advance, Like to apologize for having a penis.

🍻

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yes. The insanely stupid political correctness is getting really annoying because people are acting fake as h-e-double hockey sticks. Instead of seeing political correctness as a moral paragon how about see having integrity and being virtuous as what you should really be aiming for.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The article was interesting and I guess I agree with the author. How you identify yourself is your business. If you feel extra special, well by God, have at it. Just do not expect the rest of the universe to immediately climb on board in agreement and empathy. Do not expect the great unwashed to immediately comprehend how you could possibly be offended by various statements said in otherwise good faith.

My favorite quote was: "female-validating talk about vaginas is now forbidden ...That's so misogynistic under the guise of ‘progress' ". I read it three times and still do not know what it means.

I just wonder who comes up with these event names. The abortion advocacy group hosts "A Night of a Thousand Vagina's" ? How am I supposed to NOT start the internal one-liner machine? That's a gold mine right there.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I thought women only had one of them, that makes them women. A transvestite is not a woman. I'm a little confused how someone running a college can get the definition of the word woman wrong.

Since when does an all women college let men enroll there. I suppose they want the extra tuition so twisted the rules.
edit on 16-1-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Actually everyone has a penis. Some have innies and some have outies. If they are gonna be so technical about it they should consult the biology class first. Functioning mamory glands is a better way to discriminate if the goal is too seperate people into some catagories.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Theres a ton of transgenders around where I am, here they are called "Ladyboys" or in the local tongue "Katoey".
As a courtesy, I will call the nicer ones "she" or if they are in a group will say "Hi Ladys" but that is just me being polite.

I do have genuine sympathy for people who feel they dont relate to their particular gender, if these people wanna dress and act like the opposite sex thats their business and they arent hurting anyone but lets call a spade a spade, your a dude in womens clothing and even if you get "The Chop" then your a dude with an inside out inverted penis in womens clothing.

Im not gonna tell a midget hes 6ft tall
Im not gonna tell an obese bloke hes really athletic looking
So why the F*** should I be forced to to worry about the feelings of a man who thinks hes a woman????
Hes f****** not and he needs to understand that.

What I found interesting about the article is it says nothing about any transgender students complaining, it seems it was a decision by some moronically PC do gooder and in an all Girls school for fecks sake!!!!!

I really really REALLY hate political correctness

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join