It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So they are asking for PayPal now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Ok first of all this isn't a rant it's more of a disappointment. Something I was quite surprised to see yet seen it through a scope from half a mile away. And this is a discussion about this site as a whole and more importantly the PayPal.

I haven't been logged into this site for some time now, but when I did I've come to a sort of shock. Something that suprised me yet I seen through a scope a mile away. The big flashy banner asking to donate to ATS. Now do not get me wrong I do not object to any sort of donations to a website, but what did bother me is the subtle obligation that comes with it. It was the first thing that loaded onto my screen and seemed to do that for a purpose. Why would a site that's never given back any sort of reimbursement for contributing ask for money now? Isn't that what the advertisements that are cemented to every reach of this site are for?

I have been here longer than the majority of you have and I have seen a great deal of change, both for good and for worse, but with every emotion I have loved this place. When I found the site in '99 I was 8 and almost instantly my eyes opened to the world around me. I was here day and night reading what people had to say about conspiracies. Almost every article was a gem, and I was never disappointed.

Recently I have seen ATS go more and more from its underground nature to something more mainstream. Complete with usually almost all articles cut-and-pasted with no life and no soul to the post. Where has it all gone? I think mostly due to the diluted beliefs that have come with the exponential increase in members. This is again both good and bad. Good because there is more of a chance to catch something in the world that most might not see. Bad because with that kind of increase the beliefs are so different it is challenging to post something that caters to your beliefs without criticism.

I think I've said enough and should rap it up. Again I still love this site and greatful for being a part of this great subculture. I will probably be here until ATS is no more. But until then I will try to be more open to the changing of our site. And hopefully everyone can do the same.

Have a great day everybody!

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
t is to do with google changing the way they pay for advertising or something.
Man I wish I could give some but money appears to be getting tighter and tighter each month.
Do a search for the thread explaining why.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

So what your saying is that there are so many websites now that they have to pay them less?

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
t is to do with google changing the way they pay for advertising or something.
Man I wish I could give some but money appears to be getting tighter and tighter each month.
Do a search for the thread explaining why.

Not at all.
It was to pay for new servers and software/help because of DDOS and hacks IIRC

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

It's all explained here www.abovetopsecret.com...
And is linked in the PayPal header.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

That's understandable but let's say I donate the $2,500, what does that contributor gain in return? Just a thank you? Idk it just seems a little overboard.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Thank you Overlord for the link it helped me understand a lot better. But it still hasn't helped me with understanding say what is the difference for a top donator to one that donates the lowest amount. I am in no way upset just more confused.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
a reply to: stargatetravels

That's understandable but let's say I donate the $2,500, what does that contributor gain in return? Just a thank you? Idk it just seems a little overboard.

A blooming politician you are needing something in exchange for a 'donation'.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If you like this site and are in a financial place where you can donate $2,500, more power to you. I was able to donate ( no where near that amount). You get nothing other than the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping this site out after an attack. If you are looking for something for doing it, don't donate. You'll be able to keep your money that way.

I'm all for keeping the donation button up there even after this mess is dealt with. I for one will be donating every couple months if that stays up. I appreciate the work done here and where else am I going to go? Nothing is up to this caliber.

edit on 13-1-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Well said. I agree with the description in the post explaining the attack and the fallout, they were very clear about NOT wanting money from somebody having to dig deep for 5 bucks. The way the ad company works left ATS wide open for shortfalls (or did at least). I for one would pay to join if asked, but I realize everyone is on different spectrums when it comes to that. I do however think they detailed quite nicely the reasons for the banner and even through a severe bout of trolling (or bragging as it seems may have been the case) they kept their cool and I'm hoping received enough help from all of us here 😊

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

The way I see it, I pay for cable I don't watch. I have paid good money to see horrible movies. I've paid cover charges to sit in a dead bar...

I've paid all of those things without thought.

On the other hand I cannot count the hours I've spent on ATS, reading, writing, conversing, fighting, laughing... We pay for our entertainment. I'd rather give ATS ten bucks than to pay to see another Hugh Grant movie.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

It doesnt seem as though you realize what incident necessitated the need to offset costs from crashing recently. There is a valid-one day expensive incident. And with a huge cost due to that one incident, the best way was to begin a program where us members can help.

If you didnt know that, fine. But there is abundent threading about the change, why, and how...and most of us members of our private forum ATS...support it. We support the site-owner's request , the reasoning, the general idea...why this the donation program began.

Re-reading your thread? You would perhaps have been better informed WHY its there in the first place.

Mysterioustranger

PS It serves the poster and all of us better...if we remember to SEARCH the "why's" and "how come's"...before ranting off! See?????

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I found this one from site owner-SkepticOverlord. Its the original thread. in case it hasnt been posted for you. MS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

SkepticOverlord:

"As many members know by now, we've suffered some financial losses as the result of several sustained Distributed Denial of Service attacks (DDoS). These attacks have been at levels well beyond automated mitigation available from our hosting provider, and very expensive to defend. As a result, we've been forced to obtain a short-term loan to cover operations and remain viable.

Every page of the site now has a ribbon at the top where you can select one of a few contribution amounts, and pay via PayPal.

And for the first time, I'm going to reveal a months-long frustration that we've not yet mentioned, that has significantly contributed to this unfortunate need.

Several months ago, AdSense arbitrarily disabled our ad account. We no longer have ads from one of our best and longest-running advertising suppliers. The initial cause was a photo of a girl in a bikini (seriously). We removed that and submitted our appeal. That appeal was rejected because of a thread......" (con't at link)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was just looking for the link; yes, it explains everything.

And I was so glad to have the paypal option. I use paypal for all my shopping, and will even pass over something I want sometimes, if they don't have a paypal option.

Well, unless it's shoes, of course. : )

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I'd think that the greater reward is helping to keep this place alive; were I among the 1%, I'd give ATS a sizable portion of it to keep this place running and alive, with the only condition being that they don't die.

I like it here, and to me, "thank you's " are worth more than recognition anyday of the week.

To each their own though.
-foss

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The way I see it is a large portion of people will not donate without SOME sort of gift. Heck even a cheap 25¢ plain white card with a thank you would suffice for a lot of people.

Just saying that people are in hardship is not enough for most to give. Showing that you're willing to scratch back with kindness will go a long way. Let's say people who donate $10 will get a sticker,$30 a keychain ,$50 for a hat, and $100 for a shirt.

It costs money to make and ship those items but the return profits will outweigh them and would be foolish not to jump on it if raising money is the priority.

We learned these skills in grade school.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Ya! Where's the ATS merch shop? Let's get serious about this $$$

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Peeps have dontated without wanting a gift. I enjoy ATS and like it being here. I have no need for a tacky figift however..

:-)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
And yet nobody has noticed yet that the donate button is gone....

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Yes we did, see board business forums.

a reply to: Hefficide

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join