It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective Black Outrage (Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
As a black person, I felt the need to speak out on this issue, especially in the wake of the Ferguson shooting.

It is simply a matter of fact that blacks (and whites that feel guilty) in this country are selectively choosing to become outraged when there is a death of a young black individual. Never do we see the flames a'fire when the death occurs from a black shooter, and there is a specific reason why.

Black life is only valued when it is taken at the hands of a non-black.

The deeper root to this is because for the most part, the same blacks who loot and riot through the streets at the death of Trayvon Martin or a Michael Brown need to feel some sense of victimhood, which only further hurts the black community. In other words, there needs to be a reason to say "this shooting" or "that shooting" is the reason for non-progress in the black community.

This is why the media was VERY quick in in-correctly announcing the race of George Zimmerman. As long as the shooter was not black, they knew they had a story...

The irony is this: if the people that get so riled up at the mention of a Trayvon Martin or Michael Brown as if to say "black life matters" (which it does), then why are they silent at the deaths of blacks to other blacks? if they are indeed concerned about young black males dying at all, then they should show the same 'outrage' when the shooter also happens to be black. They don't though, because it does not support the victim-hood narrative. Instead, it shows something very dysfunctional about the culture which glorifies thug culture, single parent hood, and a disregard to human life.

The Ferguson protesters will 'milk' this event for as long as possible, that is, until another black person dies at the hands of a non-black. Then all anger and 'outrage' will be hitched to the caboose of that news story.

Why the selective outrage?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You would think that they would be outraged by all the kids killed in Chicago and Detroit. But as you say, black on black crime doesn't count.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Some people see the sins of our Fathers as a chance to cash in.

Great OP...

S&F

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

Somebody is about to ride the "Uncle Tom" train. I agree with you, but you can't say things like that.
Look at how Bill Cosby is received for his comments. And he is honestly trying to get people to rise up rather than be put down.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
You would think that they would be outraged by all the kids killed in Chicago and Detroit. But as you say, black on black crime doesn't count.

Absolutely!

I remember that there were 80+ shootings during the 4th of July weekend in Chicago alone last summer, and not a peep from the usual suspects (Obama, Holder, Sharpton, Jackson, etc)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Some people see the sins of our Fathers as a chance to cash in.

Great OP...

S&F

Sadly, you are right.

I honestly wonder if the 'outragers' sit and ponder on this very subject sometimes..

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

In other words, there needs to be a reason to say "this shooting" or "that shooting" is the reason for non-progress in the black community.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Those who shout the loudest are looking to blame someone, anyone for their own lack of ability or drive to improve their lives. They can shrug off the responsibility, by claiming it's Their fault.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Somebody is about to ride the "Uncle Tom" train. I agree with you, but you can't say things like that.
Look at how Bill Cosby is received for his comments. And he is honestly trying to get people to rise up rather than be put down.

Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about!

Can you imagine the looks I receive from my friends and family when I 'dare' speak of the facts in either the Martin or Brown case?

They look at me as if to say, "FACTS??? What difference does that make?? The Shooter was WHITE!"

Well, some actually do say it

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

In other words, there needs to be a reason to say "this shooting" or "that shooting" is the reason for non-progress in the black community.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Those who shout the loudest are looking to blame someone, anyone for their own lack of ability or drive to improve their lives. They can shrug off the responsibility, by claiming it's Their fault.

Yes.

I remember a black male protester got into the Ferguson Police Chief's face, shouting vile words. The Chief stopped and asked him "What do you want from me?"

The protester answered, "I need a JOB!"

I'll try to find the link and post. It was unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Living in the number 3 most dangerous city in the U.S.,I have been actually stunned by the lack of outrage over the massive amount of murders of innocent black kids murdered by blacks.
We have already surpassed last year's total amount of murders-and had about 3 more in the past few days.
Where are Jesse and Al?

I would not be surprised if this thread is deleted because it addresses THE REAL PROBLEM.

And we can't have that,can we?

My own life is on the line as well-every time I walk out the door-so I DO have a stake in this.

We need more men like you down here.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I agree OP. It is a HUGE hypocrisy, and fuels racial tensions. It is a clear indicator of an Us vs. Them attitude, and that only divides us further. If you want to end racial tensions, address all violence equally, stop elevating certain crimes above others just because the victim is a different skin color than the perpetrator.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Divide and conquer. The issue of blacks murdering themselves won't become an issue until TPTB deem it to be relevant.

What a wonderful world we live in.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Really the black community is taking a beating by their own hands. I could understand rallying behind a cause that would help bring them to a better place, instead their "causes" to riot are all about 2 criminal black men ( I won't call them children).

If in fact there was something other than pure revenge fueling this whole situation, I'd be behind 100% if the cause was just. The battles the black community pick are losing ones and it only makes them look worse. If you are black and you speak these truths in the community you will be crucified, look how fast the community turned on Bill Cosby trying to talk a little common sense.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree OP. It is a HUGE hypocrisy, and fuels racial tensions. It is a clear indicator of an Us vs. Them attitude, and that only divides us further. If you want to end racial tensions, address all violence equally, stop elevating certain crimes above others just because the victim is a different skin color than the perpetrator.

You are absolutely right.

I look at the Ferguson protesters (as I did the Martin supporters) and I think, "How much longer will they milk this incident out?"

I can't take any of them seriously.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
Really the black community is taking a beating by their own hands. I could understand rallying behind a cause that would help bring them to a better place, instead their "causes" to riot are all about 2 criminal black men ( I won't call them children).

If in fact there was something other than pure revenge fueling this whole situation, I'd be behind 100% if the cause was just. The battles the black community pick are losing ones and it only makes them look worse. If you are black and you speak these truths in the community you will be crucified, look how fast the community turned on Bill Cosby trying to talk a little common sense.

I have definitely been crucified for speaking like this, and it saddens me.

We are crucified because we represented the truth. We speak out on the dysfunctional behavior that the black community needs to get rid of.

We don't blame white people, nor are we looking for their guilt.

We take responsibility, and somehow, that translates into "you don't like black people".

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

No responsibility, no personal accountability.

What's the root of this incident? The cop being "aggressive" or Mike Brown being a criminal?

We all know what it is. Even if the cops need to cool it, the citizens need to be just as accountable.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Or you get called a reverse racist.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yea, they should turn their drive to protest and riot towards more constructive ventures, like getting a job or helping build a better community in the neighborhoods they live in.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
One thing that needs to be considered is that are the people with the loudest voices crying "abuse"; are they the ones trying to subjugate other people who are considered "black". It is really questionable to use Martin and Brown who both seem to be aggressive in their dealings with others, while not using the example of Levar Edward Jones who got shot trying to get his wallet. To be fair, I can see why the officer shot the Mr. Jones. The officer lost track of the Jones' hands and thus overreacted. This is a much more blatant use of force while no foul intentions were shown by Mr. Jones.

But would the use of Mr. Levar Jones be a good example for those who cry "abuse"? Mr. Jones seems to be a well spoken normal individual. Is this a good "role model" for those screaming and protesting. If more people acted like Mr. Jones would those who scream have a decent backing for their agenda? If those promoting the images of Martin and Brown get more power does that mean they will get more control of the "black" population? I think those who cry "abuse" are ones that seem to have a belief in their own superiority over everyone else.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

WSJ's Riley: "We Need To Talk About Black Criminality." Appearing on the August 17 edition of NBC's Meet the Press, The Wall Street Journal's Jason Riley discussed the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson by saying: "Let's not pretend that our morgues and cemeteries are full of young black men because cops are shooting them. The reality is that it's because other black people are shooting them." Riley went on to assert that "we need to talk about black criminality" because blacks make up "50 percent of homicide victims in this country, and 90 percent of those victims are killed by other black people." [NBC, Meet the Press, 8/17/14]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join