It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government to Ordained Ministers: Celebrate Same-Sex Wedding or Go to Jail

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

To go to hell you have to believe in that religious concept first. If they do go to hell it will be a religious function. Their right to hell is protected by law...Gays can go to their own hell but can not impose their gay hell on Christian or Jewish hells. If they take issue with the hell provided, they can sue the devil for not accommodating them.

LOL

I had to.

link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

as pointed out earlier, the hitching post is NOT a religious establishment but a business.

Looks like the Hitching Post has taken steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation, so they'll be exempt from this law! It's a perfectly good solution!

The city of Coeur d’Alene has asked the Hitching Post to withdraw its religious freedom lawsuit in the wake of gay marriage becoming legal in Idaho. City attorney Michael Gridley wrote to the wedding chapel and pointed out that two weeks ago the business took steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation. Thus, the Hitching Post is exempt from the city’s ordinance that outlaws discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Gridley said the city will not prosecute legitimate nonprofit religious corporations, associations and other organizations exercising First Amendment rights. The Hitching Post sued the city in anticipation that the city would use its anti-discrimination policy to force the chapel to perform same-sex weddings over its religious objections

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

if that's the case, they better stop making profit or they are not true christians. which means they go to hell as surely as any gay couple they care to sneer at.

Profit is simple to not earn, just increase your salary.

if you are keeping money acquired in the process of running a business, it is a "for profit" business.
edit on 21-10-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

link   

as pointed out earlier, the hitching post is NOT a religious establishment but a business.

Attention!

Looks like the Hitching Post has taken steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation, so they'll be exempt from this law! It's a perfectly good solution!

The city of Coeur d’Alene has asked the Hitching Post to withdraw its religious freedom lawsuit in the wake of gay marriage becoming legal in Idaho. City attorney Michael Gridley wrote to the wedding chapel and pointed out that two weeks ago the business took steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation. Thus, the Hitching Post is exempt from the city’s ordinance that outlaws discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Gridley said the city will not prosecute legitimate nonprofit religious corporations, associations and other organizations exercising First Amendment rights. The Hitching Post sued the city in anticipation that the city would use its anti-discrimination policy to force the chapel to perform same-sex weddings over its religious objections

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

Hmmmm, I guess that means they weren't evil scumbags afterall, they simply wanted to exercise their religious beliefs. I think there are people on this thread that owe an apology to the knapps for the unkind things they have said about them.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Not for Profit is anything but not for profit.

It is yet another thing that Govt has stated is Okay to do certain things, while others can not.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

There you go, another perfect way to solve their problem.

I wonder if they'll be the Foursquare Full Gospel Hitching Post Wedding Chapel now.

Congrats on them finding a solution; too bad they'll miss so much business in the coming years.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

At what point did I say I was against Gay Marriage?

In fact, myself and BH have discussed this, and the issue I see is that the Govt has once again, injected itself into another part of private life, that it has no business in.

Either dictating what is and is not a marriage, requiring that someone pay money to get money or forcing a business to do something against it's will of the owner.
All are wrong.

Yes, the best solution is for government to get out of the marriage business. But that would require a massive change to the tax code.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I hope that reasoning is applied to all the fake charities that send a penny from every dollar to Africa. Sadly there is nothing against keeping profit and not paying your fair share if you use the good faith con game. Also, in all fairness...if you didnt run profitable operations as a church your doors would close. You still have to pay utilities and other expenses. God doesnt like send money down from heaven.

Fake charities should be investigated instead of bothering mom and pop chapels.

edit on 10 21 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I have been around all of those people, in fact, many years ago, I DJed at clubs and Raves, attended Drag shows to watch (because they were fun and I got free drinks bought for me) and enjoy musicals.

Took the wife to see Wicked a while back. Loved the Sound of Music and Blues Brothers and saw Cats on broadway.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

if that's the case, they better stop making profit or they are not true christians. which means they go to hell as surely as any gay couple they care to sneer at.

Profit is simple to not earn, just increase your salary.

if you are keeping money acquired in the process of running a business, it is a "for profit" business.

Profit is money left over after costs. Costs include labor. Raise your salary, no more profit. it's a very simple loophole. Big, non-profit, charities (united way, red cross, etc) all use this tactic.
edit on 21-10-2014 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Yes, the best solution is for government to get out of the marriage business. But that would require a massive change to the tax code.

And that is the next point. Abolish the IRS, institute a flax tax and be done with this crap.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Attention!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

Hmmmm, I guess that means they weren't evil scumbags afterall, they simply wanted to exercise their religious beliefs. I think there are people on this thread that owe an apology to the knapps for the unkind things they have said about them.

i aint taking back a single thing ive said because they became a religious establishment in order to continue discriminating legally.

link   

originally posted by: macman

And that is the next point. Abolish the IRS, institute a flax tax and be done with this crap.

In light of the religious overtones of this thread... Amen brother.

link   
a reply to: macman

HERE HERE....I think we can all agree on that. In fact, I think everyone arguing on this thread will all agree to that unanimously. Nothing would unite us more!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Dfairlite

They sell weddings to the general public. They have done so for decades, with no religious test for their customers. They don't define marriage. The State does.

there is no religious test. There is a man + woman test. They only marry men and women.

In their state, that's illegal and discriminatory. The State has defined marriage as a legal union between any two consenting adults.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

To go to hell you have to believe in that religious concept first. If they do go to hell it will be a religious function. Their right to hell is protected by law...Gays can go to their own hell but can not impose their gay hell on Christian or Jewish hells. If they take issue with the hell provided, they can sue the devil for not accommodating them.

LOL

I had to.

lol the Lake of Fire is also open to anyone!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So it was never about religious freedom.

It's all about tax-code status.

*sigh*

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Dfairlite

They sell weddings to the general public. They have done so for decades, with no religious test for their customers. They don't define marriage. The State does.

there is no religious test. There is a man + woman test. They only marry men and women.

In their state, that's illegal and discriminatory. The State has defined marriage as a legal union between any two consenting adults.

As I said before, they simply don't offer a product that is suitable for such an arrangement. If the gay couple would like to be wed to a person of the opposite sex, then they provide ceremonies for that. If not, then they will have to find somewhere (ahem, courthouse, ahem) that has a product to suit their needs.

But you bring up a better point since all of this is now resolved. What is an adult!? Let's make it anyone who has hit puberty! After all, we are redefining words!
edit on 21-10-2014 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Interesting question ThirdEye

Of course this years ago and I think the feminists have been working on this type of discrimination.

Probably - you know how they are :-)

Now maybe after all these years they have changed their policy, but you still cannot join without having your application reviewed by a committee,
That means they can turn you down for any reason they choose.

So - you can't, as a woman, belong to this club or use any of the services that are available to members. But they can then choose to sell a service or product. That part is a business - they make it available to the public

Even if the public includes women

Even though most of us think of gender discrimination as against the law, when is it legal for private clubs to discriminate? Why are same-gender clubs legal?
Marcy Frost, an employment attorney at Moss & Barnett, says it all depends on the word “private”.

“If you are truly a private club, and not open to the public, the answer is generally, yes, you’re allowed to discriminate,” said Frost.

Why?

On the theory we have a Constitutional right of freedom of association,” she said.

The courts have struggled with the issue, trying to figure out which clubs are truly private and which are essentially public.

The Supreme Court forced the Boys Clubs to admit girls, now they’re known as the Boys & Girls Clubs. They ruled that since the Boys Club accepted all boys, it was essentially public, except for girls.

“The more restrictions put on a membership, the more likely it is a truly private club,” said Frost.

Nancy Vollertsen, an employment lawyer with Lindquist & Vennum, says the “public” designation is covered by laws.

“Generally the discrimination laws prevent discrimination in the workplace or in places of ‘public accommodation.’ Private golf clubs are not open to the public, so it is not covered under the law,” said Vollertsen.

If you're going to be exclusive - you have to be truly exclusive. Once you invite the public in - in any way - you can't then arbitrarily (on purpose) decide who is or isn't part of the public

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So it was never about religious freedom.

It's all about tax-code status.

*sigh*

I don't see it that way, they took the easy route to exercising their religious beliefs.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: FlyersFan

The Hitching Post Wedding Chapel is not a church, synagogue, temple, mosque or any thing of the sort, FF, it's a for-profit business that serves both Christians and non-Christians alike.

There's a little more to it than met the eye nearly 40 pages ago...

The owners are still ordained ministers and I've already shown the magnitude of the parent church "Foursquare Church". In fact Aimee Semple McPherson the church founder evangelized in many countries during the first decade of the 20th century, at a time when women did not do such things, so she was also a SUFFRAGETTE!

Her temple doors were also open to everyone.
edit on 21-10-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join