It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government to Ordained Ministers: Celebrate Same-Sex Wedding or Go to Jail

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman
Well, that is why I am who I am.

You don't mention something I am against, it never gets to be a problem. And vice versa.

While I am a Christian (I know, I bet there are many of gasps here), I don't care what others do, so long as I am not forced to their beliefs.

I don't force my beliefs on others. Guess it is too much to ask for the same courtesy.

Yah, we've talked about this subject before. I respect your position. I may not totally agree with all of it, but I know you're being honest about it and stand by it which I totally respect.

But, like I stated before. The $3k from a gay, black, midget, transvestite Eskimo with purple hair spends the same as anyone else's.

Hey, I think I know that guy!!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

What do YOU call not telling the truth then?

I call it lying by commission or omission (and I borrowed that terminology from the Church).

The Bible is a great source of literature and has had an incalculable effect on Western civilization.

It also supposedly forms the basis for the Christian religion, thus, the Bible comes into play when discussing that subject.

As to the rest, I submit that you're making baseless assertions again; you have no idea whether or not I read the Bible every "damned day" to quote General Patton.

So, er, feel free to stuff that wherever it fits.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And I don't agree with that either.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

They sell weddings to the general public. They have done so for decades, with no religious test for their customers. They don't define marriage. The State does.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What a surprise.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Government to Ordained Ministers: Celebrate Same-Sex Wedding or Go to Jail

That's absurd.

If homosexuals want to be married, then they can get married without imposing themselves on a church that doesn't believe in homosexual marriage.

Churches have belief systems in place. If you don't believe what that church teaches, then you have no right to insinuate yourself into that church and demand something that goes against their religious beliefs.

A Catholic wouldn't go to a Jewish Synagogue and demand to be married there and to have Holy Communion. That would be a stupid thing to do. The Catholic can go get married in his/her own church or at the town hall or someplace else with a Justice of the Peace. Ditto homosexuals who want same sex marriage. They shouldn't want to be married in a church that they disagree with anyways.

Homosexuals in states that have marriage equality can still get married. They don't need a religious ceremony done by a church they disagree with. So no homosexual civil rights are being stepped on by churches not allowing gay marriage within their walls. However, the civil rights of those who go to the churches ARE being oppressed by whatever stupid politician is pushing for them to have to break their religious beliefs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

as pointed out earlier, the hitching post is NOT a religious establishment but a business. which means discrimination laws apply just as much to them as to your local liquor store.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Just that they need to be forced to do business with others they don't accept.

Yep. And people are forced to do business with people with a skin color they don't like.

Such a weak argument, Phage. If the gay couple would like to buy a ceremony where a man and woman are married, then they sure can. However, when they demand the product change to suit them, that's just too bad. A better analogy would be for those with a different skin color to go into a restaurant and demand a recipe be made that they brought in, then sue for discrimination when the request is refused.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The Hitching Post Wedding Chapel is not a church, synagogue, temple, mosque or any thing of the sort, FF, it's a for-profit business that serves both Christians and non-Christians alike.

There's a little more to it than met the eye nearly 40 pages ago...

link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Dfairlite

They sell weddings to the general public. They have done so for decades, with no religious test for their customers. They don't define marriage. The State does.

there is no religious test. There is a man + woman test. They only marry men and women.

link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

You don't mention something I am against, it never gets to be a problem. And vice versa.

While I am a Christian (I know, I bet there are many of gasps here), I don't care what others do, so long as I am not forced to their beliefs.

I don't force my beliefs on others. Guess it is too much to ask for the same courtesy.

Yah, we've talked about this subject before. I respect your position. I may not totally agree with all of it, but I know you're being honest about it and stand by it which I totally respect.

But, like I stated before. The $3k from a gay, black, midget, transvestite Eskimo with purple hair spends the same as anyone else's.

Hey, I think I know that guy!!

And so long as you don't force what you beleive in, we are good.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
as pointed out earlier, the hitching post is NOT a religious establishment but a business.

Attention!

Looks like the Hitching Post has taken steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation, so they'll be exempt from this law! It's a perfectly good solution!

The city of Coeur d’Alene has asked the Hitching Post to withdraw its religious freedom lawsuit in the wake of gay marriage becoming legal in Idaho. City attorney Michael Gridley wrote to the wedding chapel and pointed out that two weeks ago the business took steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation. Thus, the Hitching Post is exempt from the city’s ordinance that outlaws discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Gridley said the city will not prosecute legitimate nonprofit religious corporations, associations and other organizations exercising First Amendment rights. The Hitching Post sued the city in anticipation that the city would use its anti-discrimination policy to force the chapel to perform same-sex weddings over its religious objections

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source
edit on 10/21/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: mOjOm

lets turn that around for a second. dont you think an entire country refusing to allow a gay couple to get legally married is forcing that couple to cohere to a set of beliefs? in action if not in heart?

it's okay to do that, but not okay to make christians marry gay couples. i sense a double standard here.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

as pointed out earlier, the hitching post is NOT a religious establishment but a business.

Looks like the Hitching Post has taken steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation, so they'll be exempt from this law! It's a perfectly good solution!

The city of Coeur d’Alene has asked the Hitching Post to withdraw its religious freedom lawsuit in the wake of gay marriage becoming legal in Idaho. City attorney Michael Gridley wrote to the wedding chapel and pointed out that two weeks ago the business took steps to become a nonprofit religious corporation. Thus, the Hitching Post is exempt from the city’s ordinance that outlaws discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. Gridley said the city will not prosecute legitimate nonprofit religious corporations, associations and other organizations exercising First Amendment rights. The Hitching Post sued the city in anticipation that the city would use its anti-discrimination policy to force the chapel to perform same-sex weddings over its religious objections

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

if that's the case, they better stop making profit or they are not true christians. which means they go to hell as surely as any gay couple they care to sneer at.
edit on 21-10-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Having a business open to the public means serving the public.

If they're picky about what part of the public they wish to take money from, they should open a private club or start a church.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Ohhh, so hostile. I like it.

originally posted by: Gryphon66

What do YOU call not telling the truth then?

Nothing states I have to give a reason to anyone. In fact, the only person that I, or any Christian answers to is God, if using your offered logic.

I call it lying by commission or omission (and I borrowed that terminology from the Church).

I guess you will now push for laws, forcing this belief unto everyone else.

The Bible is a great source of literature and has had an incalculable effect on Western civilization.

It also supposedly forms the basis for the Christian religion, thus, the Bible comes into play when discussing that subject.

Great. So show me where in the Bible it states that a business must provide services to people they don't agree with.

As to the rest, I submit that you're making baseless assertions again; you have no idea whether or not I read the Bible every "damned day" to quote General Patton.

Well good for you. Here is a pat on the head for your efforts. I would offer you a cookie, but I ate the last one.

So, er, feel free to stuff that wherever it fits.

Probably where it belongs. In the dung heap.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Source

if that's the case, they better stop making profit or they are not true christians. which means they go to hell as surely as any gay couple they care to sneer at.

Profit is simple to not earn, just increase your salary.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Having a business open to the public means serving the public.

If they're picky about what part of the public they wish to take money from, they should open a private club or start a church.

They are.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hey, at least I am honest.

I don't want to be forced to do something. Just like everyone else.

And I don't force others either.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

And so long as you don't force what you beleive in, we are good.

Oh. Umm, yah, about that.

I've already sent a team of Marxist, Progressive Leftists, known as Team Rainbow to find you and Brain Wash you to become one of our Gay Agenda Manchurian Soldiers.

I'd call them back, but I don't think they'll hear me with all the Show Tunes and Giggling going on.

Well, Good luck with that!!

lol

:-)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

At what point did I say I was against Gay Marriage?

In fact, myself and BH have discussed this, and the issue I see is that the Govt has once again, injected itself into another part of private life, that it has no business in.

Either dictating what is and is not a marriage, requiring that someone pay money to get money or forcing a business to do something against it's will of the owner.
All are wrong.

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join