It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong protesters stockpile supplies, prepare for long haul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

"Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters extended a blockade of Hong Kong streets on Tuesday, stockpiling supplies and erecting makeshift barricades ahead of what some fear may be a push by police to clear the roads before Chinese National Day."

"Protesters massed in at least four of Hong Kong's busiest areas, including Admiralty, where Hong Kong's government is headquartered, the Central business district, Causeway Bay, one of the city's most bustling shopping areas, and the densely populated Mong Kok district in Kowloon."

"Organizers said as many as 80,000 people thronged the streets after the protests flared on Friday night. No independent estimate of numbers was available."

--By Clare Baldwin and James Pomfret

Hong Kong protesters stockpile supplies, prepare for long haul

Hong Kong is going completely mental right now, and man, it is a sight to behold.

I don't know about you guys, but to me this is beyond awesome. 80,000 people protesting the communists? YES!

America should take notes. This is how you prove a point to the government.

Keep in mind the government of China has labeled these protests as illegal. And i don't know about you, but getting pinched in China for political dissidence is a not something i would wish upon anyone. Thats how you get 'disappeared'.

Bravo, people of China. Your bravery in the face of tyranny has been noticed by us. Good luck to you all. Don't slow down, and don't give up!

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason
Got to love democracy in action hats off to these people and may they stay safe.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Original image from Reuters. All i did was convert it to a format friendly for ATS.

This is totally phenomenal.

Protesters hold their mobile phones as they block the main street to the financial Central district, outside the government headquarters, in Hong Kong September 29, 2014.

edit on 29-9-2014 by AnonyMason because: add caption from article

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I really have difficulty seeing democracy in action anywhere anymore rather it seems now to be a buzzword for those yet to be sentenced! My feeling here is that this will have to be capped quickly by mainland China, it will go down like the square IMHO.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
In terms of population percentage this would be the equivalent of roughly 16,000 people protesting in the US, which is 25 times smaller than the amount of people who were protesting climate change this past week in NY. I think it's important to consider the %'s to understand what fraction of the populace is indeed speaking up. Regardless, it still is 80,000 people which is a huge number.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

My feeling here is that this will have to be capped quickly by mainland China, it will go down like the square IMHO.

My impression as well. They are waiting to be shot. If we thought the occupy movement ended harshly, this may be a lot worse. China doesn't mess around.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Pretty hard to put a cap on 80,000 people.

By Wednesday it may be well above 100,000.

Theres reports from twitter feeds that i havn't been able to confirm yet of China blocking instagram.

Trying to find any current livestreams to keep eyes on but thats proving difficult also.

Occupy Central 和平佔中

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No China doesn't mess around. I agree with that.

However rolling out tanks and opening fire on unarmed civilians would be a very bad move while the whole world is watching this unfold live.

IMO, the Chinese government is crapping themselves right now. Handling this in any form of violent manner as a response to the protest would be a big no no.
edit on 29-9-2014 by AnonyMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Here is a live stream

abcnews.go.com...

I remember the last big protests that China experienced.
It opened my eyes to the cruelty of the world and the strength of my fellow human beings.

I certainly hope there is not a crack down here like they did in Tiananmen Square.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

If the people on the mainland see their Hong Kong brothers get away with this it could become an epidemic and there are way more citizens than guards. This will have to be quelled quickly IMHO.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

However rolling out tanks and opening fire on unarmed civilians would be a very bad move while the whole world is watching this unfold live.

They're patient. They will wait until the media shifts focus and the people there get tired. Then they'll do it.

Thats what everyone is waiting for… the main stream to leave. Then there will be this blackout,. a night time assault with tear gas, and a quick volley of rifle fire that goes un recorded except for some shaky cam night footage.

I remember when the UK gave away Hong Kong. The Chinese promised to leave it as was. But you know its a thorn in their proletariat side. it has to be reduced like the rest of China.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Found a few journalism blogs that will have updated live streams through out the day:

WSJ

South China Morning Post

Guardian

It's currently 10:35AM Hong Kong local time.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

That is kind of what I was thinking.

if they are going to do anything they have to do it soon.
This won't go on for more than a week, maybe even three days is a long time.
It might take that long to get some Chinese solders over there,
but I bet it is coming.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I hope that's not the case but I have had similar thoughts already, myself.

The potential for another Tiananmen Square on a large scale weighs heavy in the front of my mind, no doubt about that.

I just hope Xi isn't that stupid.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I think they will act faster with this so they don't have a repeat of 1989.

I bet they learned their lesson there.
Tiananmen Square got as large as a million people at one point.
I can't see the Chinese Gov allowing something like that to happen again.
You are right though, when you see a blackout, you know it's going down.
No way for them to do a total blackout, but media will be run off or arrested and held.

Or, China might allow them to hold their election and rig them.
That one is highly unlikely but probably a best case scenario.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Was scotland's vote not democracy in action. We should be positive here.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason

"Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters extended a blockade of Hong Kong streets on Tuesday

"Organizers said as many as 80,000 people thronged the streets after the protests flared on Friday night. No independent estimate of numbers was available."

Bravo, people of China. Your bravery in the face of tyranny has been noticed by us. Good luck to you all. Don't slow down, and don't give up!

Yes indeed--- I just hope the Hong Kong authorities will stand-down & not kill peoples

'their' tyranny is mild compared to what the USA public has had to endure...they didn't have lots of freedoms taken away but we have...
instead those citizens (who were certain they were citizens instead of illegal aliens) are trying to climb out of a suppressive way of life to begin with.... horray for these individuals
edit on th30141204641729062014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

The potential for another Tiananmen Square on a large scale weighs heavy in the front of my mind, no doubt about that.

It won't be that large. If a volley of shots ring out, some will fall and the others will run. That place will empty in a few minutes. They don't have to "shoot everyone". If it happens late night during clouds of gas, flashing lights and sirens… The bodies will be quickly carried off by the protesters (they always are) and the next day the world press will show heavily edited footage (they already are) and a cover story for what the resolution for demands are.

We will have to wait for a lengthy process and negotiation during which arrests will be made of student leaders and kangaroo court trials undertaken for treason or some such and they will disappear. Everyone will place flowers there and that will get a lot of press, but by then we will have all become bored and tuned in elsewhere. We'll have to, they won't be showing it on TV anymore.

This what I have been seeing all my life in one form or another when these situations arise. These are students are they? Protesting for what, again?

The oppressed being stomped by the police who work for the government, not the people.

I just hope Xi isn't that stupid.

They are very crafty. Men with power always want more… power.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well Britain could help Xi out and offer to lease it for another 99 years.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

All in all i agree with your thoughts. I can't help but remain optimistic for them tho. It's impossible for me not to support this. It takes backbone to stand up en masse and remain peaceful in the face of teargas, mace and rubber bullets. The latter hasn't been used yet from what reports are saying. I fear they may soon be using worse.

a reply to: St Udio

While I agree that the US has been on a rampage in regard to stepping all over constitutional rights... this past decade in particular, living in communist China is no picnic. Over there people get killed for stuff like this.

<<   2 >>

join