It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Cop Investigated For Offensive Ferguson Facebook Post

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Although each individual may very well be a singular universe, people I've known and read, and listened to in general fall into several broad categories--speaking to racism in America. Among these categories are a majority who do not understand nor have come into contact with or have ever held membership in groups of uniformed men who thrive on and share a gallows humor mentality when "joking" about other races, cultures, religions and other social groups or nationalities.

Call it a hybrid child of the old boy network meets down home political incorrectness: "what my daddy said about them must be true", whatever, it is very difficult to describe but if you've ever served in the military, you know what I am getting at. Groups of men gathered around, weapons slung, down time, shooting the breeze at the expense of some caricature or stereotype of a people, a belief, whatever, that they find so offensive or alien as to make them shiver with disgust or condescension.

While I can excuse for the most part such largely harmless, impolitic banter, when the same spills over into the actions and ultimately motivates the violence of said armed groups of men; when the same gallows humor is translated in into basis or excuse for a campaign of targeted violence, then the people of America have a real problem on their hands.

Speaking to this case in particular, the unprejudiced modern man is a myth. And a glimpse into the mind of any government authority figure is an opportunity not to be wasted but is often a sobering journey we end up wishing we'd never undertaken.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: grandmakdw

And presumptuous of you to think that calling for the "watching" of someone because of what you assume they are thinking will not be dangerous to society in the long run.

"Assume", like you "assumed" you were being discriminated against?

Actually, if you read my post:

I was TOLD, at a dinner for CEO's and community leaders, by the person who ran SAC's ( in the 1990's) in front of other community leaders that, and I quote "White people don't spend enough money, our staff has been told to not bother waiting on white people."

Ok, that's not discrimination, it's my imagination to be told outright staff at high end stores were instructed not to wait on white people. I have experienced discrimination because of my skin color, it does not matter if you think it is a fantasy of mine or not.

Just as I think you calling for "watching" people who you deem to be thinking incorrectly
and not seeing where that WILL lead in the future
and come back to haunt you.

For those of you who read just this post: I lived in Hawaii for 4 years where there is a Kill a Haole Day (haole is the equivilant of "N" for white people) and terms like Haole rot (white "n" uneven tan that looks like rotting skin) and a general hatred of white people by a great, great, number of residents of Hawaii.

edit on 12Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:17:29 -0500pm82008pmk203 by grandmakdw because: grammar

edit on 12Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:30:06 -0500pm82008pmk203 by grandmakdw because: spellling

edit on 12Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:33:06 -0500pm82008pmk203 by grandmakdw because: help those who read only this post to understand it.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AphoticJoe

Fortunately or unfortunately ( I guess it depends on your perspective), I want to know, I want to see... how else can we enact fairness?

Brilliantly stated.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: grandmakdw

This wasn't his thoughts, these are his words that he posted to social media to be seen and spread...

There are many on this thread who do not see his facebook post as racist. Many of whom I have come to respect and know from their previous posts on other threads are definitely not racist themselves.

So there is divided opinion as to whether or not the post is racist. Your opinion is not the only one that counts, even though we all tend to think ours is the only one that counts.

That means it can not be clearly racist or not racist.

That means the people who judge it racist are judging his thoughts
The people who judge it non-racist are judging his thoughts

If there were an overall consensus that it was racist
as there is a consensus it was stupid of a cop to do
then you would be judging reality, not his thought process

as is, with the wide ranging thought of just those on this thread
you are clearly judging the mans private thoughts
and projecting your own values and prejudices upon the facebook post

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

This wasn't his thoughts, these are his words that he posted to social media to be seen and spread...

That's right. He used words (and a photo) to convey his message. His message? Michael Brown is a criminal with a gun and a wad of cash in his mouth. He has already convicted him without a trial - and he is supposed to represent justice. That in itself warrants at the very least, scrutiny by his superiors. His other message? Whites don't cause trouble like blacks do. He wanted as many people to see that message as possible, which is why he posted it to a public site. These weren't his private thoughts, which everyone has a right to. These were his very public messages.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Just curious, what do YOU think his message was, based on what he said? Both the post with the photo, and the other post he had about whites not rioting when O.J. got acquitted?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreenMtnBoys

originally posted by: magnetik
Thats not Mike Brown , so yeah white supremacy and racism at work

Do you even understand the difference? Many white Americans consider themselves to be destinct from other races and cultures and decide and choose to want to live among their own without those ideas having anything to do with racial supremacy. I don't want to live among Chinese and Muslims because I don't care for nor do I want to live in their culture. I prefer my western/European culture? Does that make me a white supremacist? Some of you are so brainwashed by your ideology you can't think objectively about race, culture, and America.

My brother from another mother is not racist. He just does not like the mixing of the races, and he just, only likes living around and interacting with white American people. Its about culture not race lol. Why do people not understand that. If all these minoritys would just be white and of the American culture. He would be perfectly fine with them. Duh.......You, good sirs and madams, must be racist against white people and PC. If you do not agree with him. Its about white pride. Not minority hate. Take your blinders off. This poor man. Is never racist. Lets start a fund to support this man through the trials and tribulations of having to live in a country where many Chinese and Muslims, do in fact, fully integrate into American culture after being here for a generation. His head could explode. He needs that money to surgically repair his head after it may ,per se, explode.

Now on to the subject of the original post and thread. Besides possibly inflaming a situation that is already bad. Who cares. People say stupid stuff on Facebook. All the time. Its called freedom of speech. It goes both ways. Even if we disagree with what was said. We can not make everyone believe like us. Do I like what he said on Facebook. NO, I do not. But he has the right to say it. Just like people should be able to say ninja on twitter. This cop should be able to say whatever he wants on Facebook. We can disagree. That is our right. He can have his opinion. That is his right.

edit on 20-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Just curious, what do YOU think his message was, based on what he said? Both the post with the photo, and the other post he had about whites not rioting when O.J. got acquitted?

You obviously have not read all my posts, I answered this in an earlier post. I think around pages 1-3.

We are now going around in complete circles.

My final point in this thread before I have to run, wasted too much time here today:

someday you will be sorry you called for the "watching" of people

who you think are thinking incorrectly

because the day will come when someone will assume you are thinking incorrectly

and by that time there will be no "watching", only "punishment" for what others assume you think.

edit on 12Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:39:39 -0500pm82008pmk203 by grandmakdw because: addition

edit on 12Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:43:12 -0500pm82008pmk203 by grandmakdw because: highlight thought

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

People invested with authority MUST be held to higher standards.

Mmmm, no. We need to hold everyone, not just those with the illusion of authority, to a higher standard if this issue is to ever come close to being resolved.

I'm sure I can easily go find plenty of racism all over any social media I choose and in any flavor of racism, it makes me mad but I don't post about them, don't report them because I don't like to appeal to authority, I don't like authority period...

And yet you are more than willing to stand and cheer on as others do that for you? If it were not for one person reading the facebook post you presented for our consideration, who then took the next step and reported it to the police, this whole thread would have never been possible.

The posts were reported to the Kansas City Police Department by a Facebook user who said she was concerned about their racial insensitivity, KCTV reported.
(That is a quote from your source) If this person used the excuse of "I don't like to appeal authority so I'm not going to report it"... then it would just add to the inaction that helps perpetuate the problem to begin with... wouldn't it?

but we live in a world where authority exists and when people have authority over others it is important and our responsibility that WE as citizens and voters hold authority accountable to ensure that laws and justice treat all as equals. Racists cannot be impartial, they cannot wield authority without their bias coming into play.

Hold authority accountable to what... a standard that you yourself say should be higher than what we ourselves should be accountable to? Seems to me to be a bit on the hypocritical side, but OK. Personally I want them held accountable to the same high standard that I place on myself in that regard.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I agree. The American people need to see and judge for themselves these kinds of behaviors in our officials.

edit on PMp12201431392014-08-20T12:39:18-05:00J2014America/Chicago by AphoticJoe because: added a word

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Just because someone said that whites don't spend as much money doesn't mean that's racist. Are you saying it implies that whites aren't as good as the non-whites because they don't spend as much money? That's an assumption on your part. How do you know it wasn't just an impartial business decision?You see, you took what someone said and made an inference, that may or may not have been correct. It may not have been racism or discrimination at all. It may have just had to do with how to make the most money.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I also never said he shouldn't or doesn't have the right to say it.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I was more addressing the original post not the original poster but fair enough. I apologize for that. I will edit that in.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Okay, so you think he's saying that Michael Brown is a coddled criminal. How can he be a coddled criminal when he's D-E-A-D?
You never said anything about his post on whites not rioting when O.J. was acquitted. Why would he bring whites into it at all. What do whites have to do with it?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just because he has a badge means he isn't entitled to a personal opinion?Also I have no idea why anyone posts anything to facebook considering the allegations against them.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Just because someone said that whites don't spend as much money doesn't mean that's racist. Are you saying it implies that whites aren't as good as the non-whites because they don't spend as much money? That's an assumption on your part. How do you know it wasn't just an impartial business decision?You see, you took what someone said and made an inference, that may or may not have been correct. It may not have been racism or discrimination at all. It may have just had to do with how to make the most money.

LOL

Not serving someone just because of the color of their skin
is not racist in your opinion

falling over LOL

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn

As you well know, I do happen to hold myself to a pretty high standard but it isn't for me to say what others should hold for themselves. It is for me, as I pay their salary and they are invested with public trust to make and carry out laws, to say what is and isn't acceptable from the same.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

They said it was because of not spending money. Which tells me that if the whites spent more money, they would have no problem serving them. You made an assumption that it was about skin color only.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
Just because he has a badge means he isn't entitled to a personal opinion?Also I have no idea why anyone posts anything to facebook considering the allegations against them.

My concern would be, because he is a cop (with a gun) - that he would be more predisposed to shooting a black guy just because he thinks they are all "coddled criminals".

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

They said it was because of not spending money. Which tells me that if the whites spent more money, they would have no problem serving them. You made an assumption that it was about skin color only.

How would any clerk know by just looking at skin color how much they would or would not spend?

That was racist through and through.

You are justifying a business not serving someone based solely on their skin color, not any sort of reality about the actual person and how much they would nor would not spend, and without knowing anything at all about the individual person except for their skin color.

That is the actual description of the worst form of racism. Are you saying that is is ok just because the clerks are making assumptions about what a white person will or will not do in any given situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join