It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
lol, im sorry but i feel im free to call you an idiot,
blame your poor driving, and your first 2 years of driving mind you, being a reckless teenager and blaming smoking weed for your idiotic street rallying.
you probably forgot to mention the alcohol you were consuming as well.
a reply to: wantsome

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: lonweld

Traffic Fatalities have dropped to an all time low huh?

That's probably because they're all high off their behinds and pulled over to the side of the road, nodding off...

That's the funny thought for the day, but the REALITY/MOMENT OF TRUTH of the matter is, that the chemical compounds IN Marijuana cause Brain Damage and can even later lead to psychoses such as Schizophrenia...

This was a HORRIBLE idea. But it will probably lead to more deaths once the massive brain damages occur.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Right. I now I feel really stupid... every time I said drugs may kill the consumers I was wrong !?!

Are we all playing stupid? Just because some people want to legalize and consume drugs it doesn't make it good for you.

THE TRUTH ABOUT MARIJUANA

www.drugfreeworld.org...

SHORT-TERM EFFECTS
- Sensory distortion
- Panic
- Anxiety
- Poor coordination of movement
- Lowered reaction time
- After an initial “up,” the user feels sleepy or depressed
- Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)

LONG-term effects of marijuana
- Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
- Suppression of the immune system
- Growth disorders
- Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
- Reduction of male sex hormones
- Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
- Reduced sexual capacity
- Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information
- Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation
- Personality and mood changes
- Inability to understand things clearly

Marijuana will not kill you fast (at least not fast enough) but it may induce you killing someone because you're out of your mind. Even someone you might love dearly.

Yes, I do know what I mean !!! Don't preach me on how good and safe drugs are.

Please

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: maceov

EXACTLY

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: maceov
a reply to: lonweld

Traffic Fatalities have dropped to an all time low huh?

That's probably because they're all high off their behinds and pulled over to the side of the road, nodding off...

That's the funny thought for the day, but the REALITY/MOMENT OF TRUTH of the matter is, that the chemical compounds IN Marijuana cause Brain Damage and can even later lead to psychoses such as Schizophrenia...

You MIGHT want to finish those two statements with the ACTUAL truth. It can cause brain damage in children and the psychosis thing is for people with preexisting aptitude for the psychosis. In other words the marijuana trigger something in their head that was already there. But not to mention it is an EXTREMELY low percentage of people that this happens to.

This was a HORRIBLE idea. But it will probably lead to more deaths once the massive brain damages occur.

What? And you know this how? The fear mongering never ends... Deny ignorance son. I want you to produce one, just ONE, news report of someone dying from marijuana use.
edit on 7-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: novrod
Yes, I do know what I mean !!! Don't preach me on how good and safe drugs are.

Please

No you don't know what you mean. Marijuana is good and safe. You are wrong. That entire list was all decades old propaganda. All the people benefiting from medical marijuana prove that you are wrong. But regardless of that, it certainly should be legal. You nor anyone else have no right to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: novrod

Eow u know posting nonsense will can get u banned

And that was all propaganda

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Out with the old, in with the new. Do you know that most of the "high" from marijuana is because of heightened senses? There are many different strains that have differing amounts of these cannabinoids, producing different effects. Here are some health benefits discovered discovered in the cannabinoids in this plant.

Tetrahydrocannabinoid (THC) First isolated in 1964, this is perhaps the most well-known and researched compound in marijuana and has been found to have many medicinal uses:
Fear Extinction: Critical for treating anxiety and PTSD symptoms. THC reduces the emotional responses to these memories and events.
Appetite Regulation/Relief of Nausea and Vomiting: Key for treating wasting diseases, cancer chemotherapy patients, and HIV/AIDS patients.
Analgesic (pain relief) and Anti-inflammatory: THC's analgesic properties are being used to treat neuropathic pain due to Multiple Sclerosis, migraines, cancer pain, inflammation of the bowels, chronic back pain and inflammation, and pain from arthritis and other diseases.
Reduction of Interocular Pressure: Cannabis was found to decrease interocular pressure by an average of 25-30%.
Neuroprotectant and Antioxidant: THC and other cannabinoids have been found to protect the brain against glutamate neurotoxicity.

Cannabidiol (CBD) – This cannabinoid is best know for delivering medicinal effects with no psychoactive side effects. High amounts of CBD in a strain will cancel out the “high” produced from THC.
Powerful Antioxidant and Neuroprotectant: Binge-drinking mice that also received 40 mg of CBD had 60% less neurotoxicity (brain cell death) after four days. CBD has also been found to provide more protection against neurotoxicity than vitamins C and E.
Neurogenesis: Early research has shown in mice that CBD reverses cognitive impairments in Alzheimer's Disease.
Anti-inflammatory: Like THC, CBD has been found to effectively reduce pain in neurodegenerative and inflammatory diseases.
Antiproliferative (inhibiting cell growth) effects: Researchers are investigating CBD's effects on of inhibiting tumors, including an aggressive form of breast cancer.

These are just two of over 60 cannabinoids being researched.

As far as driving goes, my husband drives for a living and he says most accidents are caused by people texting or talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road. I would never advocate driving under the influence of any impairing substance, but keep in mind drunk drivers exhibit loss of control of their functions and rational thinking.

High CBD medical strains do not cause the same effects as the weed some people smoked in high school or college.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

1936 called, they would like their propaganda back.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I could see this helping with "road rage". I know this study mentions highways but what about city driving. The obstacles one must deal with can make the most placid person arrive at their destination a frazzled mess. Some drivers seem to take it out on other drivers. Badly timed traffic lights,pop up construction, congested roads ,fighting for parking spots ect can turn into trips from hell.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I am a medical research scientist.

There will always be exceptions but I refuse accepting most of the comments here. And yes, it can trigger illnesses that used to be silent until you start having your funny joints.

A suicidal friend (from marijuana to coc aine was fast and fatal), a racked tormented brother (I hope the damage is reversible) and a desperate mother only supports other situations know and lived.

Yes, marijuana makes you better... The best thing is you'll not be yourself to be able to see your downfall. I am sorry for your children and wife/husband.

Even when it's used for therapeutic reasons it can have devastating side effects for you and your family.
edit on 27/11/2011 by novrod because: typos

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

your joking right? i mean i didnt take you serious at all anyway. better yourself brother

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Of course, traffic fatalities are at historic lows for *all* states, not just Colorada, so not sure how compelling this argument is.

That said, most marijuana users believe they're traveling much faster than they really are - that is, they drive slower, often *much* slower when high.

So, while their accident rates are almost certainly higher when stoned, I'd venture to say they're less likely to cause a fatailty.

Anyway, we like to say we're all about "Freedom and liberty" - I'm all for legalization, myself (while being fully aware that legalizing pot doesn't really compensate for all of our other eroding freedoms.)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
the point is, and we all know by now. is that the plant is a miraculous living specimen which does more good then bad. and all research points to GOOD THINGS! no bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Fine. How much medical research have you done into marijuana? Just because you are a research scientist doesn't necessarily mean you've worked with the plant.

There will always be exceptions but I refuse accepting most of the comments here. And yes, it can trigger illnesses that used to be silent until you start having your funny joints.

Isn't that the case with all medicine? Sometimes it reacts differently because of certain preexisting conditions? Don't all the commercials tell you to consult your doctor before starting medications? At least there aren't a litany of dangerous side effects with marijuana.

A suicidal friend (from marijuana to coc aine was fast and fatal), a racked tormented brother (I hope the damage is reversible) and a desperate mother only supports other situations know and lived.

Your first example doesn't look like it was due to marijuana. You can't blame your friend's suicide on marijuana if he also used coc aine. Cocaine creates crazy mood swings the more you use it. The more and more you use it, you start feeling lows which can and do become suicidal lows eventually. So I'd blame coc aine on the suicide before I demonized marijuana in that situation.

You are going to have to be more descriptive with the other two events. I still have a tough time believing that marijuana was the cause of their downfall, especially with such vague descriptions as the ones you gave. In fact, going off the little information you gave, I'd wager that they suffered from mental illnesses and turned to drug abuse to compensate (as many mentally ill people are wont to do). This means that you are blaming a symptom (marijuana/drug abuse) for their problem (mental illness). You are supposed to use the symptom to diagnose the problem.

Yes, marijuana makes you better... The best thing is you'll not be yourself to be able to see your downfall. I am sorry for your children and wife/husband.

Even when it's used for therapeutic reasons it can have devastating side effects for you and your family.

Like what? Stop being vague. If you want to expose problems with the plant. Give me ACTUAL problems not vague ideas, because to me this looks like you are just using the same fear mongering tactics that all anti-legalization people use while also hiding behind the claim that you are a scientist.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: squittles

Of course, traffic fatalities are at historic lows for *all* states, not just Colorada, so not sure how compelling this argument is.

Cool, got any statistics to support this assertion?

That said, most marijuana users believe they're traveling much faster than they really are - that is, they drive slower, often *much* slower when high.

Actually I posted a study a page or two back that suggested that they drive slower or more responsibly because they are aware they are intoxicated, and force their concentration in areas they need to while compensating in other places (like driving slower) to make up for their inability to completely focus.

So, while their accident rates are almost certainly higher when stoned, I'd venture to say they're less likely to cause a fatailty.

Maybe. Certainly worth looking into.

Anyway, we like to say we're all about "Freedom and liberty" - I'm all for legalization, myself (while being fully aware that legalizing pot doesn't really compensate for all of our other eroding freedoms.)

I understand that too, but it is a step in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Ol' Hatchet Carrie, at it again.
en.m.wikipedia.org...

A funny thing sometimes happens when I read history -- I learn from mistakes made by those before me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mon1k3r
Isn't it a little early in the game to be claiming that marijuana legalization is the cause for fewer highway fatalities? I can't imagine how any data set could be sufficient to support the claim at this point.

The point is not that legalization of marijuana has led to a decrease in highway fatalities.

The point is that the legalization of marijuana has not contributed to any sort of increase in highway fatalities.

The point is to show that anyone arguing in support of the idea that an individual under the influence of marijuana poses some sort of threat when they get behind the wheel is ill-informed, inexperienced, and are simply blindly believing what they're told.

Whether you support the use of marijuana or not, you can't deny the fact that almost every demonizing thing we've been told about the plant has been shown to be untrue after proper study.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I don't know... I drive in Denver every day, and people still drive like crazy morons most of the time.

I imagine the drop in fatalities is that it is the spring and summer.. there are simply less accidents. Give this a couple of years, I think you'll find not much has changed. When it's winter around here is when you see cars all over the place. Heck.. driving home a few days ago, I saw a car flipped upside down... on a side street.

There is still plenty of terrible drivers here, don't worry. I don't think pot would ever contribute to a lower traffic accident rate regardless.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I have seen the same thing in 3 people i know, one of them ended up so sick they killed themself. Im not saying that marijuana was a 100% to blame but it did play a part in the down fall of these people. From what I have seen the people who want marijuana made legal could well be the people who are in the most danger from it as they seem to be the ones who are blind to the negative side affects

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join