It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

originally posted by: the_philth
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want ANY "drugged divers" OR their shenanigans to be on the same road as me!

I mean, what the hell are they doing there in the first place???

I agree!

I say we ban those dastardly coffee drinkers and cigarette smokers (almost there with them anyway, right?) because their amped up antics due to their stimulant use is causing me worry on the road! All those speeders and tailgaters are most surely coffee heads, I want them GONE!

Thanks for you post! Glad to see some reasonable people are out there!
Looks like James1982 was the only one to catch what was said!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am going to say that the legalization of personal use marijuana has little to do with a decrease in car fatalities.

I would go out on a limb and say that the decrease in fatalities has more to do with a decrease in the amount of people driving due to economic factors i.e. increased gas prices, lower take home pay for workers, job loss etc.

edit on 5-8-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

(post by pimptriggs removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: the_philth
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want ANY "drugged divers" OR their shenanigans to be on the same road as me!

I mean, what the hell are they doing there in the first place???

But if someone was to stay awake 21 hours and then drive, you'd be ok?

they are effectively as impaired as someone driving with a bac of 0.15.

Down with Tired people, lock 'em up !!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Ugh! The article in the original post says drunk DIVERS, not drunk drivers!!!

I DON'T WANT DRUNK DIVERS...

Ugh! Never mind!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would like to see the stats on all accidents over time, not just fatalities. There may be more fender benders due to slow reaction times while under the influence. Having better emergency care the fatalities would also cause fatalities to decrease.
edit on 5-8-2014 by MinangATS because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonweld
Those people who complain have never been high and drove. I can vouch that while stoned, the car seems to move a lot faster then it is... Which makes you slow down. I've had the sensation of going 85-90mph, only to look down and see I'm doing 35mph. And I have no desire to go any faster.

Well, if you're going 35 on the freeway, you're a driving hazard.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Back when I was a teenager, I was guilty of waiting for the stop sign to turn green...

Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Will be interesting to see how a similar study shows in legal recreational (and medical already) Washington State. For the past few years or so in Washington accidents/fatalities have been down overall attributed to to economic downturns, less driving, etc. Wonder if it's just the economy, etc., for Colorado instead as well?
edit on 5-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The main reason why is because EVERYONE is driving on our best behavior out here. I really feel like the legalization of this plant was for revenue generated by charging people with DUI. It really has become a problem. Just another way to make money on the taxation and DUI charges for the state.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Forums are broken lol. Can't talk about subject information relating to a topic. Exactly why it's taken so long it to get anywhere close being legalized again. Everyone is bashed and banned because the world says we shouldn't talk about it. Sad really

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The mistake people often make is that MJ is like alcohol - its not remotely the same thing.

The reality is that somone whos stoned is more likely to drive slower and more careful, not recklessly like a drunk would. Heck a stoned person would probably be less likely to even bother trying in the first place.

This news comes as no surprise. Pot was never as bad as as alcohol and never will be, and that bunk they came up with saying it sent you crazy - would it be legal now if it was with all the study's they did?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Since this OP is addressing personal consumption and it's effect on operating machinery, I wish to be clear - I am constantly being drug tested as I work in dangerous zones so I do not consume MJ.........nowadayz.

Those who know my posts, know my position on this amazing plant.

Because it is simply amazing.

Here is another dose of reality.....a 2700 year old bag of MJ (obviously the bag ain't 2700 years old......but you get the gist)

www.oddee.com...
www.nbcnews.com...-HwkeOSzCs

Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.
A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects.

We have been collectively bent-over and reamed by those who stand to lose the most from this wonder plant being legal.

I know of no-one who will debate me on the disadvantages of MJ.........that's a challenge btw.

Alcohol should be illegal - MJ should be legal and regulated the same as what alcohol is.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
A friend once showed me a report, to explane the report came from Finland and it covered vans. Back then vans could only travel at 80km/h ( about 50mph) if you wanted to drive faster they van had to be registered as a car and pay higher road tax. The law was changed allowing vans to drive up to 100km/h( about 60 mph ) without an in-cress in road tax . A few months later a research was done (financed by the tax office) showing that the amount of accidents involving vans had increased after the new law passed ( implying vans were not safe to be driven so fast and the old tax system should be taken back into use in order to save people ) The research was 100% true, the amount of accidents had increased, but when the research was investigated it was found that the accident increase has happened in 50kmh ( about 30mph) area, and few of the vans had been speeding. Research can be presented to prove what the researcher wants. Just something to think about.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Wow that's really cool! I didn't see that before. I'm going to bookmark that article and read it later when I have time. though I kind of knew that it was smoked for thousands of years already since hashish is part of the arab culture.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Yup they smoked the buds and leaves and used the stems and main plant stem for their fibers as they have a natural stringy structure that makes then really nice to use for making things - other than just getting baked

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
At this point I think recreational use will be on at least 5 states ballot measures in 2016, most groups are holding off till the presidential election, hopes are high it will be a success.
edit on 6-8-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I do love this site, but was very disappointed to see the restrictions on talking about personal "drug" use.

Many of us are legal card carrying PATIENTS in states, and use this because prescription drugs either do not work or the side effects create more problems than they help. We are the ones living through this (legally) and many want to share the medical benefits we are experiencing.

On to my reply...I do not live in Colorado but seeing a state legalize recreational use is showing me the people are opening their eyes and doing research (there a tons of scientific articles on the cannabinoids in marijuana being effective in treating: PTSD -causes extinction of fear, epilepsy, Chron's, pain relief without opioid side effects, nausea, HIV/AIDS and numerous other conditions are being researched right now).

The government and big Pharma like to play off Fear. Educate yourself!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I've had a fly on the wall documentary of drugs in my life... When I was 16 I had my own flat and well, I was 16! I didn't have a clue how to live (still struggling at 33 lol)... Anyway poor choices left me homeless in the end and a pot dealer I barely knew (a female) let me stay with her.

She was nice, cooked and gave me the odd toke, I'd smoked since 14 years old btw...

Eventually all turned sour, her dealer got her into heroin, that was the end of that, what a crazy time in my life, you wouldn't even believe, like living train spotting! I was punched in the face by her heroin addict boyfriend once cos basically she had a kid and it wasn't good what was occuring, we told the land lord (we being me and a friend) and the landlord got social services, the child was removed. Best thing in this scenario...

Anyway, during this time I knew many many drug addicts from all walks of life... There was even a fairly high ranked social worker who would buy methadone (heroin substitute) from the very girl and co in the previous story.

But during this time, I've been in cars with people on pretty much everything you can imagine!!! There was one guy, scotish chap, had been banned for driving for 15 years due to drink driving, from getting a small ban and then getting caught while on the ban XD... He was STILL drink driving and I have to hand it to him, he never once had an accident lol I'm not talking a couple beers here either, like 6-8 cans no bother.

I've never been in a car accident with people under the influence... ever...

There was one time I was in a car, young starighthead (no drugs) was showing off on wet roads, not going that fast but swerving from side to side throwing us around in the back... Smashed into a parked car lol...

I think they do get hysterical about drink/drug driving to be honest from what I have seen with my very own eyes... Driving stoned??? gimme a break!!! lmao
edit on 6-8-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

I would also like to note that with all my experience on this subject I still advocate legalization of ALL drugs, including heroin... Prohibition causes a lot of the worst problems, NOT the drugs themselves.

For instance I knew one chap, couple years older than me, smart kid I have to say... Got witj a crowd, got into heroin... He died... Wanna know why??? OD... Wanna know why??? Cos there is no label on the heroin you buy in the street, not even a hint of what the actual heorin content is... Imagine, you go to buy some alcohol and there is no mention of the alcohol content level... Is it 5% or 50%... Could make a bit of a difference to your day!

So he injected too much, cos he didn't know how strong it was...

Dead due to prohibition... Something as simple as a label could of saved his life...

The girl that put me up in the story... Dead... Wanna know why??? Bad hit... junk mixed with the heroin... prohibition killed this girl too...

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and that is the end of it! Fatty.food kills people too ya know...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I argue with my father about this all the time. He always says "well I wouldn't mind having it legal if we could figure out a way to test drivers for it".

This is always prohibitionist go to reason.. I always say we do have a way to test people for it, it is called a field sobriety test.

If you can pass the field sobriety test you are ok to drive I don't care how much weed you have smoked. And most potheads can pass a field sobriety easily.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join