It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Valid Reason On Exactly Why Everyone, Including YOU, Should Feel Stupid!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I went off to find a link, but it took longer than expected (breaker flipped in my house..).

I think the behavior you speak about is not linked to IQ in any way. At least from my perspective, it appears that you are talking about people who are willfully ignorant and want to stay that way. This seems to be a base behavior in our society as a whole, but I am also of the opinion that it can be changed. If we were smart about it.

Conversely, a desire to learn and grow can be present regardless of any measured form of intelligence. That is really the only thing I look for in people I want to spend time with.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Yes, I'd say it's a cultural construct. It does seem that the lower IQ individuals roll with it, while the higher IQ are more inclined to question ignorance and rise above it.

I'd have to disagree that it's not related to intelligence, though would agree that the condition I speak of is more apparent within our society.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Serdgiam

Yes, I'd say it's a cultural construct. It does seem that the lower IQ individuals roll with it, while the higher IQ are more inclined to question ignorance and rise above it.

I'd have to disagree that it's not related to intelligence, though would agree that the condition I speak of is more apparent within our society.

We might have simply had different social experiences. Have you worked with a lot of different groups of varying capacities? It would be interesting if you have, even if a bit off topic. Im not talking about just speaking with people in society either, but actively working towards goals.

Through my life, I have seen arrogance appear more rapidly in intelligent individuals and groups. Where-in, we feel we have nothing to learn from "lower life forms." Beyond that, we have a tendency to put proving ourselves "right" as a higher priority than actually getting anything done. That is one that bridges the gaps between intelligence groups, however, in my experience, it has a higher percentage of manifestation in groups and individuals that specifically focus on IQ, or "high intelligence."

They are more apt to point out others ignorance, but not necessarily their own.
edit on 3-7-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

We might have simply had different social experiences. Have you worked with a lot of different groups of varying capacities? It would be interesting if you have, even if a bit off topic. Im not talking about just speaking with people in society either, but actively working towards goals.

Over the years, sure, I've encountered people of many differing capacities. I haven't specifically sought out groups of specific capacities. I can recall some instances where the group was clearly of a higher, or lower capacity, though.

Through my life, I have seen arrogance appear more rapidly in intelligent individuals and groups. Where-in, we feel we have nothing to learn from "lower life forms." Beyond that, we have a tendency to put proving ourselves "right" as a higher priority than actually getting anything done. That is one that bridges the gaps between intelligence groups, however, in my experience, it has a higher percentage of manifestation in groups and individuals that specifically focus on IQ, or "high intelligence."

I don't focus on high intelligence, I focus on people making sense and being decent human beings. I don't have a need to be "right", just cause, I have a need to understand, and be understood. I'm not the type to feel like I can't learn from people who have a lower IQ, rather think overall the vast majority of low IQ individuals are not worth the frustrations that tend to come along the way. I can handle people of average IQ for short bursts. Eventually I get very frustrated. I've done my best to get passed this. It's never turned out okay. The best I can do is remove myself from their presence.

They are more apt to point out others ignorance, but not necessarily their own.

Well, I pointed out my own already in this thread. I was incorrect about the special olympics being for physically disabled. I don't watch sports usually, but thought I recalled seeing physically disabled in sports that was associated with the olympics. Maybe a glitch in my memory, maybe something else altogether.

If I am perceived to be an arrogant prick for not being capable of being in the presence of people who will eventually frustrate me, then so be it.
edit on 3-7-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

You know whats funny, all the people laughing and clapping in the audience, they don't realize he is talking about most of them.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

To hopefully steer the discussion back towards society as a whole, let me be clear that I wasnt directing what I was saying solely at you.

I was speaking about my own experiences, from childhood to now, in directly dealing with groups of various functions. I had a rather unique childhood in that I was directly exposed, and took part in, groups who self-identified their groups parameters in a professional sense.

I have noticed that those who professionally self-identify with IQ as a deciding factor tend to be less likely to get goals accomplished, and more likely to debate on the "how." The issue with this, as I previously stated, is that I feel it is essentially wasted intelligence. I strongly feel that any strengths/gifts are a responsibility rather than a source of pride or division.

"Im just here for the thread, ma'am."

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

Fancy meeting you here .... IQ matters since democracy needs intelligent and informed voters to work ... However the looney liberals believe that we are all equal ... fat chance I am built like Michael Jordan with the brain of Einstein ...

<< 1   >>

join