It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

Same exact thing with me. It was Bearnstein Bears, but it was pronounced Bear-in-STAIN. I'm about your age, it appears.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Could you possibly qualify your disqualification with a reason?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: PrinceRupertsDog

Yep, I said it as "-stain" as well.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You've introduced a completely new misspelling. Unsupported by anything officially in print from the publisher.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Oh, HA! Obviously me and PrinceRupertsDog have our own special timeline!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Oh, HA! Obviously me and PrinceRupertsDog have our own special timeline!

Yes, 'special' is probably a good word for it. Why should people now claiming any spelling beginning with "Bearn" have any credibility on the subject of how it was spelled? This came out of the left field bleachers. You're not even in the game, as the saying goes.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

Way interesting. I remember the stein, not by pronunciation, but rather by visual memory. Next time I go to my mom's house, I'm looking at the books!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Just as I thought. They decided it was too Jewish and did a name change in the America's. And successfully rewrote history but no one switched a realm.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Okay, this was a frustrating afternoon.
The Goodwill Store had NO bear books at all.

The Salvation Army Store however, DID have a few.
They all said BerenSTAIN.
I left in disgust, lol.

My daughter is now digging through old boxes because she is also sure they were spelled Berenstein, and...being her mother's daughter...HAS to prove herself correct! (If she finds her old books, I will post pics...either spelling).

Abe Vigoda has died numerous times in my life...also Larry Hagman and Nelson Mandela.
I truly believe that there is much about this world that we peons do not understand.

jacygirl

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It poses an interesting question. I've recently started proofing bookstore stuff, so I've just accepted Berenstain although I did do a double-take the first time because I remembered Berenstein from my childhood. I'll have to see if I can dig up my childhood copies of The Big Honey Hunt and The Bike Lesson. They're from the late '70s, so the covers ought to settle the question.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I hope none of you guys are ever called to testify before a jury.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Tagging on here as I don't have time to reply at the moment...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

If it was just my memory, I would say I was just incorrect. But I find it strange that so many are remembering it the same way. That is what has captured my attention.

BTW - I always pronounced it bear-in-steen. I don't know why. I grew up in Illinois...
edit on 20-6-2014 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815
This thread needs to be linked to the dead celebrities that are now alive thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

You're holding against me something I'm attempting to remember from over 30 years ago? I think the statute of limitations on almost everything I might be called on to testify from that time has long passed.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This is very, very strange. Just last night, I was flipping through the channel guide on TV, and on one of the cartoon channels, it listed the "Berenstain" Bears as being on. As soon as I saw it, I thought WTF, and I couldn't believe that they had misspelled the name, and even thought about how none of the editors had caught such a big mistake in the spelling. I have always known the bears to be spelled "Berenstein", and seeing it suddenly spelled "Berenstain" makes one take a double take when seeing it, as it doesn't even look right. Now, the very next day, there is a thread about it!

Something very weird is going on!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Why not? There's more witnesses to -stein, than -stain in this thread alone.

From the Mandellaeffect site

When these things happen, the logical assumption is, “Oh, I must have been mistaken.” However, when two people are in complete agreement, and they both experienced the event, this becomes unsettling.

What do you call it when dozens, maybe hundreds..or even more! have this collective memory? You can't just dismiss it because you disagree with it.

Unfortunately, the very nature of this Mandela Effect theory suggests there is no way to prove to one another that our memories are correct. Those of us that remember -stein are correct because of the collective memory of it being correct, and those who remember -stain were never exposed to the -stein spelling; it was always -stain, just as it was always -stein before we were exposed to the -stain spelling. We're both correct, but can't prove it to each other.
edit on 20-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What do you call it when dozens, maybe hundreds..or even more! have this collective memory?

Since you're all wrong and this is a global site I'll go with pandemic.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyObfuscation
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What do you call it when dozens, maybe hundreds..or even more! have this collective memory?

Since you're all wrong

That's quite an indictment!

I'll go with pandemic.

Good job! You've blanketed and resolved the entire issue with one label. Isn't it convenient you can just slap that word on anything you disagree with? All you've really done is describe it, not explain it.

edit on 20-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join