It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Dating – Is it Worth it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Who has taken the plunge and what are your experiences? Good or Bad

Taking into consideration people don’t have lots of time these days to find a partner internet dating seems like the perfect solution. Right?

As people flip through profiles they see exactly what the other person wants them to see, is this really a good way to start off?

Personally I don’t get it. Online dating appears so cold, plastic, scripted, and almost narcissistic, but I could be way off base here and not know what I am talking about.

I like meeting people the old fashion way by doing things I love and enjoy, this way we already have something in common.

Please share with us why online dating works, or doesn’t work.

Regards,

RT

edit on 15-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

It works but it depends on the motive...

Somehow I doubt you'll find love online, but anything is possible...

Good way to get some tail though

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

In a modern and connected world why would you doubt that you can find love online?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ive never used a dating site, but I use the internet aswell as phone and txt to conduct my long distance relationship. Im in scotland she is in LA. We are both working single parents, so money and time are at a premium so visits are long planned events. I agree it can be cold, and almost unreal at times, as well as very depressing especially when one of us is having a hard time or a family event that we would like the other to be at. However at times a simple txt before bed, or work can light up my world. I thank god for Skype and whatsapp aswell as being able to call eachother for free. It's also good to know that our relationship is not based on sex, and instead over the last 3 years has been built on trust, paitentce and anticipation. We have only ever had one argument. It's tough though, really tough.

I guess i kind of hijacked your topic

edit on 15.6.2014 by Scotscorps84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I've had two one-nighters from internet hook-ups. All-in-all...a waste of time. Go somewhere and meet real people.

link   
a reply to: opethPA

Simply because you can not know a person through words on a screen and a pic...

Meeting someone online is all well and good, but the meeting part would be essential to finding love...

but again, anything is possible

link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84

I guess i kind of hijacked your topic

Not really because this is truly "Online Dating" or better yet "Online Relationships"

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

I met my wife on Match.com back in 2005. Worked out well for me.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Congrats!

Can you tell us more about how the connection happened?

How many people did you date via Match.com before you connected with your wife?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Dates are like parking spaces.
The good ones are taken and the available ones are handicapped.

Sorry! Couldn't resist..

Do what ya gotta to find someone..

edit on 15-6-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Can you tell us more about how the connection happened?

Sure. At that time I still had both of my restaurants and with the long hours making it difficult to meet people the 'normal' way I opted to give both Match.com and eHarmony a try. I preferred Match.com since it allowed you to see the persons picture if they posted one and, let's be honest, looks are important.

I had my profile set for a 15 mile radius but my future wife had hers set for 50 and 'winked' me first (we joke that she was more desperate). We talked via email for about a month and then by phone for another before meeting in person. We hit it off immediately and the rest if history.

How many people did you date via Match.com before you connected with your wife?

I had gone on about 5 or 6 dates and most were not memorable, including the one that left me at the bar when I came back from the restroom.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I went on one of those a few years back after a break-up. I can't remember if it was match or eharmony, one of those. Anyway, it had me take a test to find out who I would best be compatible with.

You guessed it! It didn't find any matches for me, not a single one! I just gave up on that method after that.

I'm incompatible! For some reason that made me feel better about myself.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I think online dating can work for people.

Can't be any worse than meeting women in seedy bars the old fashioned way.

I still think the best place to meet potential partners is doing something you enjoy like amateur sports or volunteering. But not everyone has access to that sort of thing, and for those people I think online dating can be a suitable alternative.

I never used it because I never had trouble finding dates.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Simply because you can not know a person through words on a screen and a pic...

I just don't think that is applicable in the real world anymore and just because you meet someone in person first doesn't give you anymore of a greater insight into who they are. More often then not when people are out trying to meet someone they have their full social armor on so you aren't seeing the real person.

My wife and I met on a forum for a music scene in Philly. I replied to a post she made about a certain band, we then started talking via PM we then started talking by chat 3 or 4 weeks later we met in person. It was 100% easier to meet in person after having met online and learned a bit about each other.

If I look at my sister who is in her late 20s according to her every relationship she has had started out with a txt or an email. That makes sense to me. I know I personally would have never spent another night of my life in a bar with a bunch of drunks trolling for people. I would much rather be able to find out about someone they dont smoke, drink, do drugs, they like this kind of music and these books then randomly looking across a club dance floor and seeing the external appearance first.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

It works but it depends on the motive...

Good way to get some tail though

The get some tail thing is for sure a bonus! I remember a young red head very fondly!
The down side is the absolutely INSANE nut cases you end up meeting.

All in all though, I would prefer just meeting women the old fashion way. The library, grocery store etc. etc......

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Match.com here as well. Met her in January 2013 moved in by April of that year. I saw her profile and just knew she was the One.
I was selective and only called her.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

I think online dating can work for people.

Can't be any worse than meeting women in seedy bars the old fashioned way.

I still think the best place to meet potential partners is doing something you enjoy like amateur sports or volunteering. But not everyone has access to that sort of thing, and for those people I think online dating can be a suitable alternative.

I never used it because I never had trouble finding dates.

I would agree with you.

Personally I am not a bar person either, so meeting people in the activites I enjoy and love have there benefits.

So you are correct trouble finding dates is not an issue, if people pursue things they love to do.

But so far this thread is pointing in the direction of Online dating can be worthwhile. Interesting.
edit on 15-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Like anything in life .. roll the dice and take your chances ..
Seen it work for some .. seen it turn life to a living hell for others ..

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
My step-daughter just recently married a guy she met through one of the on-line dating services. The guy didn't like going to bars to meet people, and there just wasn't anyone in his circle of friends for him to date. He was looking for a serious relationship. My step-daughter had a child (the father was totally out of the picture), so she was worried she couldn't find anyone willing to have a serious relationship with her.

Long story short, she was looking for a serious relationship with someone who wouldn't mind a kid in the picture, and he was looking for a serious relationship and he didn't mind a kid in the picture so.. voila - they were matched up!

He's a great guy. He loves her daughter as if she were his own. My step-daughter never would have met him if it hadn't been for the on-line dating service. They should be in a commercial!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I met my boyfriend on Match.com. Like other people have said, I didn't have a bunch of options in the dating pool so I said %$&* it and decided to try online. I can honestly say I couldn't have hand picked a better guy and we are good for each other.

I went out on one other date from Match before I met my boyfriend and it was awful lol. Even though we got along on the phone, we were both VERY uncomfortable on the actual date. Ultimately we didn't have much in common and he was too uptight for me, but I wish him well and hope he found someone. Now when I went out on my first date with my boyfriend, it was sparks from the get go, and even though our date had one disaster after another happen, we both took it all in stride and enjoyed ourselves, we're still together a year later

ETA IMHO I think online dating is almost the same as other forms. It's all a crap shoot one way or another and you just gotta roll the dice and see what happens
edit on 15-6-2014 by Ranthenae because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join