It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: mahatche

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: InTheLight

Yes they were. The counterculture of that time was infiltrated and manipulated by subversives. They were easy prey. Exploited and used for political objectives.

The same can be done here and now... Much easier if they can supply and regulate their most popular vices.

IMO

Turn on, tune in, drop out was one of the more damaging ideas of that period. I hope this time around we can be adults about it. Stay engaged during the day, then come home from work and relieve the pain and stress. I see nothing wrong with that. No need for drug induced "comas". Smoking needs to be treated with the same expectations for responsible drinking.

You are off topic as that had nothing to do with smoking maryjane, which only the tune in then have a sit in would apply.

Right, he was talking about harder drugs, but the mentality of that era still effects the perception of the anti-pot crowd. That is what they fear will happen to our society.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

No it isn't.

As somebody else pointed out, it's intellectually dishonest and hurts your cause, to pretend like that negative effects of this plant don't exist. That they also don't need to be studied in grater detail.

In order to provide an informed and proper understanding of the benefits vs problems, you have to have studied both sides.

All the research is good, be it positive or negative, so long as it's for finding out the actual scientific facts, and not for expressing a personal or corporate agenda.

Tenth

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

No it isn't.

As somebody else pointed out, it's intellectually dishonest and hurts your cause, to pretend like that negative effects of this plant don't exist. That they also don't need to be studied in grater detail.

In order to provide an informed and proper understanding of the benefits vs problems, you have to have studied both sides.

All the research is good, be it positive or negative, so long as it's for finding out the actual scientific facts, and not for expressing a personal or corporate agenda.

Tenth

I don't pretend that the plant has no negative effects. EVERYTHING has negative effects. Being alive has negative effects. But if alcohol is legal, then why isn't marijuana? What problems does marijuana create that alcohol has not created?

So yes, I still feel it is a moot argument because if I post all of the property damages, hospital bills, death certificates, crimes committed, and general disturbances all credited to alcohol consumption, and then do the same with marijuana consumption, marijuana will still be illegal. More to the point, alcohol will still be legal. What I'm saying is, the government doesn't care about the health hazards. Its concern is not oriented on public health. You really think they care if we get cancer? That means more money for them. It has other reasons to keep pot under its boots. Economic reasons, for instance. The whole thing just irritates me because marijuana is treated like gay marriage while alcohol is free to continue ruining people's lives all over the country. Marijuana has a negligible death record while alcohol goes up by dozens every other week. That's called double standards.

I heard somewhere that the most dangerous and potentially lethal part of associating with marijuana is the authorities who might catch you with it, and I gotta agree. Those prisons are a hell of a lot more hazardous to the average American's health than the joints that got them thrown in. But the government is willing to pay for that, right? Pfft.
edit on 17-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yes they were. The counterculture of that time was infiltrated and manipulated by subversives. They were easy prey. Exploited and used for political objectives.

The same can be done here and now... Much easier if they can supply and regulate their most popular vices.

IMO

Turn on, tune in, drop out was one of the more damaging ideas of that period. I hope this time around we can be adults about it. Stay engaged during the day, then come home from work and relieve the pain and stress. I see nothing wrong with that. No need for drug induced "comas". Smoking needs to be treated with the same expectations for responsible drinking.

You are off topic as that had nothing to do with smoking maryjane, which only the tune in then have a sit in would apply.

Right, he was talking about harder drugs, but the mentality of that era still effects the perception of the anti-pot crowd. That is what they fear will happen to our society.

I would like to see the fear mongers do a little independent research on their own, as well as questioning how studies are conducted.

A separate review of nearly a dozen studies (involving a total of 623 cannabis users and 409 non- or minimal users) published in the Journal of the International Psychological Society similarly reported, “The results of our meta-analytic study failed to reveal a substantial, systematic effect of long-term, regular cannabis consumption on the neurocognitive functioning of users who were not acutely intoxicated.”

Moreover, other studies, though admittedly comprised of small sample sizes, have indicated that in some instances cannabis may actually protect the brain, particularly against the potentially damaging effects of alcohol.

www.alternet.org...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

IMO

I would like to see the fear mongers do a little independent research on their own, as well as questioning how studies are conducted.

A separate review of nearly a dozen studies (involving a total of 623 cannabis users and 409 non- or minimal users) published in the Journal of the International Psychological Society similarly reported, “The results of our meta-analytic study failed to reveal a substantial, systematic effect of long-term, regular cannabis consumption on the neurocognitive functioning of users who were not acutely intoxicated.”

Moreover, other studies, though admittedly comprised of small sample sizes, have indicated that in some instances cannabis may actually protect the brain, particularly against the potentially damaging effects of alcohol.

www.alternet.org...

I'm with you 100%.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I fear no good will come of this...
We have laws and warnings so the less then room temp IQ folks don't hurt them selves or anyone else...
But hey....
I have all ways said: "Remove Warning Labels and it will all work out in the end"

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3u40r15m
I've seen alot of kids never drink or smoke until they get out of highschool. If weed is legalized for good, you know how dummied down people will be they won't care about anything...

I have seen a lot of kids, and adults, never use weed or any other illicit substance, period. Of course many of those have gone on to become alcoholics and have caused severe damage to themselves and others by way of their alcohol abuse. I favor the safer alternative that is now just regaining acceptance.

Are you suggesting that if we quit imprisoning pot smokers the nation will go to hell in a hand-basket? Where do we stand with that state of the nation currently?

edit on 17-5-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

I wouldn't say alcohol has no health benefits. There are studies that show the occasional glass of wine is good for you. I could provide links if you need em, but it's a pretty commonly accepted idea.

So should we allow tens of thousand of people to die, just so you can have your one glass of wine? Why isn't alcohol banned? There's substantial evidence that shows it is a plight on our society, so when we talk about who to blame for our extreme social problems, why are the people who indulge in alcohol, pointing the finger away from themselves? And why are these same people, who are also probably popping pharma pills every day, not addressing the tens of thousands of horrible deaths that come from the legal pharma industry every year?

It's absolutely laughable to address anything other than that.
edit on 17-5-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

I challenge you to show me and others here how MJ use will "dummy down" the population.

These dummies that you are talking about somehow managed to get states to pass laws in favor of MJ, so I guess that proves that they are smarter and more productive then you think.

You act as if MJ use is new, people have been using it for decades in the U.S some have been extremely successful but keep on going around and spreading your disinformation.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Sounds very Orwellian when you combine the words "Informed" and "proper understanding". And it places a hell of a lot of power in the hands of those who are doing the "informing".

edit on 17-5-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

But by comparing alcohol to MJ you are removing it's legitimacy. There are far BETTER arguments for legalization and study then " alcohol is worse".

That argument is moot in comparison to the medical, economical and social aspects.

Which all require further study since there are unknowns regarding those above. We already know the facts of alcohol vs MJ, and we have for like 50 years.

~Tenth
edit on 5/17/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Oh come on...surely that site is a send up...you know a deliberate piss take..it has to be.

Nobody, and i mean nobody could possibly be that ignorant and gullible.

If there actually were people ready to seriously believe that utter crap, they'd probably be too stupid to make it to adulthood, natural selection would have to win every time.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

And it places a hell of a lot of power in the hands of those who are doing the "informing".

That's the way the world works. In this context, we are talking about scientists performing studies to determine the benefits or detriments of any given thing.

Yes they do have all the power. They are the ones doing to studies and presenting the evidence. There's nothing Orwellian about trusting sound research.

The only problem is knowing what is sound research and what isn't, and that's something that's entirely within your control.

Why would the power exist in those who aren't doing anything to research or inform others about it??

Isn't that the problem these days, is that we are far more interested in opinions than facts?

~Tenth

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Yet you're ready to be informed that its bad for you?

Informed just means you have the facts, nothing more.

You can inform yourself you know mate...you don't have to take anyone else's word for anything..Cannabis included.

edit on 17-5-2014 by MysterX because: added text

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: 3u40r15m

No sane parent teaches their kids that smoking is safe. The act of inhaling smoke no matter the substance is harmful. The DARE program was full of propaganda slogans and half facts. May parents felt like DARE turned their children into little NARCS.

Any parent who thinks their child is so well behaved that he or she will wait until they are 21 before they go drinking with friends needs to pull the wool from over their eyes.

Sorry for the delayed response... But I've seen alot of kids never drink or smoke until they get out of highschool. But everyone seems to be worried about the "Elites" taking guns away and trying to dummy people down. If weed is legalized for good, you know how dummied down people will be they won't care about anything... And then more things will be legal that never should be. It's more than just this simple thing. I don't wanna get into it i have no time right now but I'll be back.

I think you're wrong my friend no offense intended, but that's just a stereotypical propaganda driven assumption.

People are already getting freaking "dummied" down and mj has nothing to do with it!

the same amount of people have been smoking this whole time regardless of the legal aspects.

someone who smokes mj can be just as motivated/unmotivated as someone who doesn't. It's about the person and their individual mentality.
edit on 17-5-2014 by GoShredAK because: edit

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It needs to be legal, not it should be, or could be, NEEDS to be.

The fake marijuana is legal and its worse than most other drugs. Someone at my work had a heart attack in the parking lot smoking it before work!

How can the fake stuff that causes hallucinations and severe breathing and heart problems be legal, but the real thing is not? It's insane.

The US has become absolutely ridiculous with their laws. Some places its not even legal to wash your own car in your driveway.

We need to stop making new laws, and get rid of half the BS ones we have already.

Also, some of the smartest people I have ever known smoked pot. There is no way it makes you stupid. It may make you stupid for a few hours, but that's it. Compared to ANY other drug, including alcohol and prescription pills, the side effects don't even come close. If you take too many aspirins, that will be your last headache you ever have. You can buy things that can kill you over the counter, but if you smoke this particular plant that does nothing relative to that, you will be fined and imprisoned. Makes total sense.
edit on 17-5-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

That's the way the world works. In this context, we are talking about scientists performing studies to determine the benefits or detriments of any given thing

Oh yes. We shouldn't question the authority of the new clergy, oops, I meant scientists. We all know that if they found any benefits to it, they would most certainly let every body know. After all, look how much they promote those healthy pharma drugs for the benefit of all. Surely, they would be eager to report the benifits of an easily grown and sustainable plant.

It's disturbing that you would place the power of such a determination in the hands of people who are not involved in the business of making you feel healthy or making your life better whatsoever. That's falls in the category of being a sheep.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

a reply to: TiedDestructor

To each their own.... Just seems like National peer pressure. Whatever happen to Weed being bad? Parents teaching kids not to smoke it and the whole DARE program....Now we teach kids weed is good alcohol is bad? Does not sound right to me. I'd much rather see my kids have a drink for their 21st instead of doing drugs.

Umm, alcohol is a drug, and not a safer alternative to cannabis.
Become informed my friend.

I will repeat...Alcohol is a DRUG!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Let's stop 'Anslingerizing' it by calling it 'marijuana', and go back to calling it what it was called when this country was founded, namely, 'hemp'. TRUE scientists refer to it as 'cannabis' whether 'sativa' (deep thinker stuff) or 'indica' (sleepy, couch lock stuff). BTW, excessively taxing it is still de facto prohibition, and will allow the black market to keep on keeping on. Those who believe government can tax the country into prosperity when most production jobs have been jacked to other countries (no income, no luxury money) need to go back and retake a course in economics.

Edit to add 'ruderalis'.
edit on 5/17/2014 by WAstateMosin because: Forgot one type of cannabis.

edit on 5/17/2014 by WAstateMosin because: Spelling

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: WAstateMosin

The medical marijuana industry is silently creating many jobs, and that's not counting the additional tourism jobs and off-shoot revenue these marijuana-legal states/provinces are enjoying. The entreprenurial opportunities are plenty if one has imagination, experience, and the drive, e.g. pot critic. I expect to see publications about this new industry in the near future.

www.alternet.org...

www.payscale.com...
edit on 17-5-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join