It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla cutting 14,000 jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Cvastar

Tires every 6000 miles?

Not typically for EVs, however their added weight because of the battery and the softer tires they use to make the ride better generates a lot of what the industry calls "tire and road-wear particles".

Basically a bunch of hydrocarbons released into the atmosphere that have a lot of long-term health effects for humans and fish, in particular.

Which translates to 20-25k miles on your tires before they need replaced as opposed to ICE vehicles.

And thier brakes wear a lot quicker as well.

A Tesla releases more hydrocarbon particulates than an ICE vehicle does, for instance.

Which they cannot capture, as opposed to ICE vehicles using a catalytic converter.

But we are not supposed to talk about that.

edit on 100000004America/Chicago4pmMon, 15 Apr 2024 20:27:03 -050027 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Did not know that..✌️
Just another topic we’re not supposed to talk about..

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A good number of top companies operate on laying off the bottom 10%, and people no longer needed. Harsh reality, but Amazon and GE have been doing it for a long time. If you think about it, we hire people on an hour look and you really do not know what you are going to get until months later, so that allows them legally to weed out who they want since it is so hard to outright fire people today.

The bad side is it becomes a dog eat dog world and teams will stack "undesirables" on their team to fill the 10%, kind of like the ensign in Star Trek when the landing party beams down.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Quick history of Tesla layoffs:

• 2017: 2% of headcount
• 2018: 9% of headcount
• 2019: 7% of headcount
• 2022: 10% of salaried workers (3% of global headcount)
• 2024: ~10% of headcount

Tesla's global employee count expanded from 38,000 in early 2018 to over 140,000 in early 2024. Laying off ~10% of your workforce is not a small number, but Tesla's last major round of layoffs was a while ago. Many companies were doing large job cuts between late 2022 to late 2023, but Tesla didn't.

For a company of its size, periodic adjustments to the workforce are normal, particularly during challenging economic periods and or periods of growth.

It seems Elon wants to go all-in on AI/autonomy/robotics. To set Tesla up well for its next phase of growth, he might have felt some restructuring and reorganization was needed.
twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

True, I just drove between San Antonio and Houston, not one EV. The charging stations build out never happened.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Now they're saying 7K to 10K......I don't make this stuff up; just report what I read.

cowboystatedaily.com...

In a sense, I stand corrected; but it really depends on how someone drives the vehicle.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cvastar

I wasn't questioning the validity of your statement, I just wondered where it came from.👍

I never considered faster tire wear because of the extra weight of EVs. Makes sense really.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

I don't think full self driving will be here any time soon.
Even after they fix all of the multitude of problems it will still have to be cleared by government regulations..
A decade at best and that's being optimistic.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cvastar
a reply to: WeMustCare

True, I just drove between San Antonio and Houston, not one EV. The charging stations build out never happened.

There are 6 Tesla chargers in between San Antonio and Houston.
Sometimes they have a spot or two for the knockoff EV’s.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Even after they fix all of the multitude of problems it will still have to be cleared by government regulations..

I don’t trust it anyway.
I enjoy driving myself just fine.
It’s scary when you see somebody behind the wheel sleeping or reading a book.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of this push for FSD. I think the big issue with FSD is the roads are not consistent in regards to their upkeep, not too mention signage, construction, etc. Computers are just not adept at analyzing every little scenario that could go wrong when driving.

They work fine in some instances, but I'd never completely turn over my car to a computer. My ride has Adapative Cruise Control which I like as it can speed up and slow down in traffic, but I still don't completely trust it. Just allows me to rest my foot without having to constantly modulate throttle for slower traffic on long highway drives.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Interesting.......so...are there signs? If so, I didn't see them.

posted on Apr, 16 2024 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cvastar

Interesting.......so...are there signs? If so, I didn't see them.

I’m not sure about the signage.
The navigation doesn’t fail to get there.
I’m guessing non Tesla EV’s all have navigation?
It’s better to use the navigation anyway because the car will preheat the battery when it knows you’re heading to charge.
Preheating speeds up charging time/efficiency.
I’m guessing the other EV company chargers are using the existing Tesla infrastructure as it’s more robust and well placed around the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join