It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla cutting 14,000 jobs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
a reply to: Bluntone22

That sounds about right. The electric vehicle market is saturated. It has hit the plateau of all that want one has one. Some are selling them off and going back to regular engine or hybrid. They had a bad experience with them.

I haven't read all of the posts yet, so forgive me if this has been said above already, but I live in Silicon Valley (where Tesla is located). Though I live here now, I grew up outside of Fort Worth, Texas, and though it's been a long time since I've returned, I couldn't imagine that owning an electric vehicle out there would prove in most ways feasible. Here there absolutely ubiquitous, everywhere! But, I can't imagine trying to traverse across the nation or visit Mexico in an electric vehicle. Just feels like a recipe for disaster. I think that the people here have a cloistered point of view.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3
Chinas BYD has flooded foreign markets with cheap EVs as well. Tesla didn't get a cheap affordable EV put quick enough.

More of china's economic warfare. BYD gets huge subsidies from the CCP, so they can sell their cars for almost no profit. It's intentional, in order to drive other manufacturers out of business. China's business model is failing and this is a desperate act on their part to try keep control of markets.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
What's the carbon emissions from EV manufacturing for one vehicle incl all parts mfg'd from vendors, and how long does it take for "Carbon Emissions Breakeven" per vehicle produced? 😀 Remember too, the carbon spinning is a continuous cycle with all new EVs produced.

Well don't forget...50% of these "clean electric" vehicles still charge on coal produced electricity. And the carbon emissions just making a car like that can be similar to the lifetime emissions put out by a combustion engine.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

Berkshire hathaway gave them a huge investment in 2008 as well. They're just playing the same card that Ford did back in the day.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Electric cars suck.
Their maintenance costs more and is more frequent.
They pollute more in the long run.
They make us reliant on China and foreigners for parts/batteries.
Charging up??? WHERE???

SUCK SUCK SUCK

Those might be true about other EV’s but not the Tesla.
Tesla charging infrastructure is everywhere.
My wife has had hers for 4 years and absolutely loves it. It’s a better car now than it was 4 years ago due to the constant update/upgrades. How many cars can you say that about?
I can tell you have never had one and are just repeating things you’ve heard.
They don’t suck.
They are the most amazing machines on the road.
Recalls are fixed asap with software updates immediately. When it’s parked in your garage or any WiFi connection it’s automatic.
Regular updates to features is common. Bugs uncommon.
There is no maintenance. It has no oil nor fuel.
Tires is the only thing that needs to maintained.
It’s heavy so it will go through tires fairly quickly if you choose Z rated soft rubber. A regular tire wears the same as any other car.
Any other thing it needs the Tesla mechs will come to your house, work or wherever you are for the work.
In 4 years it’s only needed a new glove box(actuator went bad), which the mech swapped out in about 40 minutes, in our garage, for free.
We’ve gone on many road trips in it a well.
The longest from LA to Texas.
2-3 hour drives then a quick 20-30 minute restroom/snackbreak/walk the dog/charge. Then back on the road.
Chargers are everywhere and usually near restaurants and civilization.
They are quite amazing American made vehicles and don’t suck.
No I don’t work for Tesla.
I’m a car guy.
Not picking on you FF, just putting this info out there.
Hope your flyers make the playoffs

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I was watching a video of a guy and his cyber truck that was dead. Would not start. And the screen was completely blank.

I wouldn't get an electric car.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

They won't. They never do it seems.

That being said, everything I've read about EVs sucks.
And driving .. I've never seen any charging stations. Never.
And I don't want to wait at one for half an hour for a charge
that's only going to take me just so far.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Vermilion

They won't. They never do it seems.

That being said, everything I've read about EVs sucks.
And driving .. I've never seen any charging stations. Never.
And I don't want to wait at one for half an hour for a charge
that's only going to take me just so far.

They are literally everywhere but unless you’re commute is 300 miles or more you’ll never even need one.
Usually tucked behind a mall, restaurant, truck stops along highly traveled highways.
I’ve only had to wait for a charging spot once.
Leaving Vegas during a weekday during everyone’s morning commute. 10 minute wait. Just watch something on Netflix.
Realistically, most people charge in their garages overnight and rarely even need to use them.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
I don't think Ford gets huge subsidies from the Fed? If they do, I highly doubt it's nearly enough for them to sell their cars at almost zero profit.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm surprised that no one has come out with charging cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Then people wouldn't have to wait around.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is why the private industry is more trustworthy than government.

When a program isn't working, they cut it.

When a program in the government isn't working, the ONLY solution is of course to spend more money on it so it fails bigger.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hakaiju
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm surprised that no one has come out with charging cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Then people wouldn't have to wait around.

I could build you one for AAA batteries if you have a truck load of them.

I made a DC power supply from parts on eBay for my tool batteries. From .6 to 37 volts DC at up to 4 amps. It can also charge the tool batteries from any DC supply from 6 to 30 v. Very nice but would not charge an electric vehicle.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

I should have expanded.

Back when Ford started the approach was to make as many cheap somewhat reliable cars and flood the market. Microsoft did the same thing.
China has just taken that approach, but global. For once in their nation's life they have the technological advantage.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
What's the carbon emissions from EV manufacturing for one vehicle incl all parts mfg'd from vendors, and how long does it take for "Carbon Emissions Breakeven" per vehicle produced? 😀 Remember too, the carbon spinning is a continuous cycle with all new EVs produced.

This has been studied, of course. A battery electric vehicle has a carbon footprint about 50% greater than a comparable ICE vehicle in the manufacturing phase. After that, the ICE vehicle is burning fossil fuel directly for every mile its driven while the electric vehicle is not. Because it's not burning fossil fuel directly, the electric vehicle breaks even with the ICE vehicle in terms of total carbon footprint after about 2 years, and gets better the longer it's driven. And that's even taking into account that some of the grid electric power comes from burning fossil fuel. The average age of a passenger vehicle in the US right now is about 12 years, so there's plenty of time for an EV to pay back the investment.

And EV batteries can be recycled at the end of their lifetimes. They generally aren't being recycled in large numbers right now, because electric vehicles still don't make up a very big fraction of total cars on the road and they haven't been around long enough for large numbers of them to be available. As EVs become a bigger fraction of the total fleet, there will be a compelling business case for recycling batteries.

As the grid moves to less and less fossil fuel (and uses more solar, wind, and nuclear power) the carbon footprint of an EV will get smaller and smaller while an ICE car will remain the same. California just hit a new record of exceeding 100 per cent of grid demand with renewable energy sources for 30 days since the beginning of March, and we have about 3 times the usage of electric vehicles per capita as the national average. Texas actually leads the nation in wind power production right now and is second in solar energy, with a lot of obvious potential for growth. It's quite feasible to take most or all of the carbon out of surface transport, if we want to.

I have no idea what you mean by "carbon spinning".

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

It's a break even for at least 100 years. Just a matter of who screws who and for how much 😎

Carbon Spinning is a real time clock for "endless loop" 😃

And there's no proof CO2 actually causes mass climate change 😀 (an example of carbon spinning)

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 05:05 PM
link   

How long will it take China and India and every country to stop "burning" fuel for electricity? 💥

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
I understand what they are doing, but the government subsidies give them a very large advantage over capitalist systems that don't really allow that. That's why the US should tariff the crap out of them.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 06:18 PM
link   

This is why electric vehicle batteries are not recycled much.

That was 900 tons of lithium batteries in a warehouse. Look at all the black smoke form the electric vehicles batteries. A truck rolling coal has nothing on this.
edit on 15-4-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

That sounds about right. The electric vehicle market is saturated. It has hit the plateau of all that want one has one. Some are selling them off and going back to regular engine or hybrid. They had a bad experience with them.

IMO they would be better of focusing on reducing the weight of cars/trucks. A car weighs about 3000 pounds. Imagine the gas saved if it could be reduced to maybe a 1000 pounds. Even moreso with semis.
Lightweight is the way to go, not 'self-driving' with so many ways to fail.

posted on Apr, 15 2024 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ScarletDarkness

The government screwed that concept up..🤷‍♂️

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join