It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the 'Abrahamic Religions' all Really the Worshipping the Same Abrahamic God?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Knowledge and believes are mutually exclusive... You can't belive in something you know. You can't know something you belive in.

Belive is exclusively for the unknown.

So what? Let's give the mentally weak some leeway and let them have their crutches.

It's astonishing how much that concept works for other believes that are not based in truth...

Luckily we are for the most parts a rather tolerant society that can handle a couple of cooks, unfortunately some of the cooks are rather intolerant towards other cooks.

This could backfire anytime soon...

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I once had an encounter in which this question came up, and this was my response (as described in an extract from a future book);

Some comparative religion

A few decades back, I passed through a graduation ceremony, having gained a qualification in Divinity. After the event, the various new graduates and their families adjourned to the nearest open space and began taking photographs. A few uniformed schoolgirls swirled round among them, asking questions about their lives and courses. My mother, being a teacher herself, guessed that they had been instructed to do this (and also recognised the insignia). Some of them were swirling around me. My mother’s camera was still clicking, so I’ve got the pictures to prove it.

Once I’d explained about the course, I overheard one girl saying to another; “Go on, let’s ask him.” So they asked me. Would I agree that the Christians got their God from the Jews? I did agree with that proposition. I suggested, though, that the Jewish understanding of their God might be incomplete, if they did not appreciate what he had been doing in Christ. There may somewhere be a Jewish lady who still recalls being that bold and faithful child.

Their question is one aspect of an old debate about the relation between the Christian faith and the Jewish and Muslim systems, and I think I would still give the same answer.

I believe the relation may be summarised like this;
Moses offered a code of law. Mohammed offered a code of law.
In both cases, the code was representing God’s will imperfectly, getting entangled with human customs and traditions. But the judgement of the New Testament is that codes of law, as such, do not do the job. They do not succeed in dealing with sin. That judgement applies equally to both systems.

The essence of the New Testament is that the work of Christ, the obedience to the point of death, does provide an effective remedy for sin. That is why the Christian faith, as I keep observing, must be founded upon what Jesus did. Whereas Jews and Muslims are not prepared to recognise him as anything more than teacher or prophet, focusing entirely on what he said.

So the differentiating mark of the Christian faith is the final and sufficient accomplishment of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Christ.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocometus
I don't believe the Muslims worship God The Father of all
creation. Not by a landslide.

They worship a moon goddess. A demon if you will.

Thats one of the things .. the evolution of the 'God of Abraham' in the three different religions. The Muslims 'Allah' started out as a moon god, one of many, that evolved into being the God of Abraham. Same with the Jewish God. It started out as one of many and evolved into being the One God of Abraham. The Christian Trinity evolved from the Jewish roots. (or was revealed in them ... take your pick of terms used).

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
I look at it like sibling rivalry and long-standing family feuds. They're all claiming the inheritance promised Abraham's offspring.

Did Abraham even exist? Abraham supposedly lived 2166 b.c.e. The Old Testament wasn't written down until 700 b.c.e. That's 1500 years from when Abraham supposedly lived until the time the story was written down. It was just passed around word of mouth all that time. What are the chances that the story is true and accurate?

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
a reply to: FlyersFan

Careful what you ask for.

Yahweh is the horned god of the Kanenites. The Kanenites that the Israelites took the land form. Also the Israelies are not the Israelites of the Bible. The Israelites were wiped out to a few priests of one tribe at one time. There were no women survivors.

The Trinity is three forms of one being.

Allah I have not looked into as much.

Jesus literally translates as son of Zeus.

Jahova is Zeus or Hercules depending if you are Greek or Roman.

The tree of life is god's wife after they rewrote the Bible to be male oriented.

I could go on and provide links but they have been lost to changing computers.

The letter j did not exist 2000 years ago, make of that what you will for the names.

Would you care to back up all those claims with some sources?
Who are your researchers?

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
Conveniently, Allah was the tribal god of Mohammed's tribe. Nice how that worked out for him. I guess the gods of the other Arabian tribes didn't count for much.

That's part of the equation in all this. The evolution of God in the different groups. Allah was a pagan moon god, one of many, and he became the one God. Muhammad pushed him to the forefront, at the tip of a blood soaked sword. And then came the claim that he was the God of Abraham.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I suppose from a theological standpoint, all three religions trace their origins back to Abraham in the Old Testament.

They all believe in a single, omnipotent, and omniscient God who created the universe.

Therefore, it could indeed be argued they are all referring to the same deity.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

The letter j did not exist 2000 years ago, make of that what you will for the names.

Wasn't Jesus also referred to as Yeshua?

Or am I confusing my deities?

This is the name Jesus/Yeshua in Aramaic. I found it somewhere a while ago...

The name Yeshua means "Yahweh Saves". Pretty apt, I would think.

edit on 4/12/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

I think "Yeshua" is the Hebrew name for Jesus.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I'm trying very hard to see it as all three - Judaism, Islam, Christianity - worshipping the same God. That's what many of the theologians tell us and the three religions all claim to be worshipping the God of Abraham. I've tried. Really.

HOWEVER ... the three religions all may claim to worship the same God, but their view of Him is so different ... how can it be the same God? Just the title ... 'God of Abraham' ??? I'm trying to see it, but I really can't.

Allah is described as a trickster and deceiver
Yahweh is described as being very harsh and exacting.
The Holy Trinity is described as - loving Father God, living human/God Son who loves and sacrifices, sanctifying Holy Spirit.

The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are very different. You could say that is because Jesus is revealing God and the Jews got it wrong?

The three versions of 'The God of Abraham' are very different.
You can say that they are the same God and each knows a different part of Him.
Or you can say that they are three different Gods all claiming the same title.

I am trying to see it as the same God ... I"m just having a really hard time doing that.
edit on 4/12/2024 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Yahweh is described as being very harsh and exacting.
The Holy Trinity is described as - loving Father God, living human/God Son who loves and sacrifices, sanctifying Holy Spirit.

The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are very different. You could say that is because Jesus is revealing God and the Jews got it wrong?

a common misperception. the OT gives us 'love your neighbor as yourself' ( Leviticus 19:18)
the NT gives us the apocalypse.

same God. OT and NT work together to tell the whole story.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo
So basically muhammad also had Jewish blood

we're talking religion, not ethnicity.
not all ethnic Jews are religious Jews, and vice versa.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:48 AM
link   

HOWEVER ... the three religions all may claim to worship the same God, but their view of Him is so different ... how can it be the same God? Just the title ... 'God of Abraham' ??? I'm trying to see it, but I really can't.

I'm apt to ponder thats because none of them are correct, and all organised religious interpretations of God are probably the product of Man as opposed to the actual word of God.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI2

So the differentiating mark of the Christian faith is the final and sufficient accomplishment of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Christ.

And this is the only difference that matters because make no mistake.
It did happen.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Coelacanth55

True.

However you look at it, the God of the OT and NT doesn't match up with the Allah God. Allah is described as a trickster and deceiver . The Jewish and Christian God isn't described that way. The Jewish God is very exact and demanding. The Christian God is 'a loving Father God', a 'loving and sacrificing Son God', and a sanctifying Holy Spirit God.

I keep going back to this .... Go to Afghanistan and tell a group of Muslim men that Jesus is really Allah, that He suffered and died at the hands of Jews, and that He rose from the dead. I think you'd get beaten up for claiming that. I doubt those Muslim men would believe that Jesus is Allah ...which He would have to be if Muslims and Christians believed in the same God. Or go to Alabama, USA and tell a congregation of Southern Baptists that Jesus is Allah, the same Allah that allegedly spoke to Muhammad. See how far that goes with them. They aren't going to buy into that.

Some (many?) of the theologians say it's the same God because they all claim the title of 'God of Abraham', but Who they think He is ... that's very different. The contrast is so sharp that I don't know how they can be called the same God. I'm having a hard time seeing it.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Organized religion is about one thing and one thing only. Control. Religion is about power. One’s relationship with God is a personal, intimate relationship. Everything else is just fluff, human greed and control.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

Organized religion is about one thing and one thing only. Control. Religion is about power.

That is a belief. You have no idea what the motivations are of the people at the highest echelons of any religion.

You are free to hold that faith, though. But that's all it is.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The God of everything is the God of everything, naturally it would be the greatest of everything whether that's deception or licking windows. Again those Muslims or Christians acting and thinking along those lines are just being a bit stuck up and clearly ignoring the written word when it comes to how one conducts their self.

Some (many?) of the theologians say it's the same God because they all claim the title of 'God of Abraham', but Who they think He is ... that's very different. The contrast is so sharp that I don't know how they can be called the same God. I'm having a hard time seeing it.

That's where deeper thinking and even a bit philosophy comes into play. The creator would be Alpha and Omega with everything in between, God of the monkeys, the ants and everything else. If a God exists it wouldn't be anywhere near the fallible ways of man. It would be Abraham's God and the God of the dinosaurs, anything else is just ascribing beliefs onto things with our fallible connotations and names. I'm sure Cortez said the Aztecs and many others weren't of God but he would've been absolutely wrong in his assessment. Even the Devil would be of God.

The real issue is people being literal with everything when these concepts and understandings are clearly universal in the human mind... It's what actually fascinates me about these kind of topics. Sadly, as a conversation piece it often devolves into bickering and one-upmanship.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH
Organized religion is about one thing and one thing only. Control. Religion is about power. One’s relationship with God is a personal, intimate relationship. Everything else is just fluff, human greed and control.

There are people within organized religions who believe what the religion says and there are people in organized religions who are there for the power and money etc etc. Just like anything else ... there are all sorts of reasons people do what they do.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Coelacanth55

True.

However you look at it, the God of the OT and NT doesn't match up with the Allah God. Allah is described as a trickster and deceiver . The Jewish and Christian God isn't described that way.

They may not describe God that way, but he does both of those things at times in the OT.

In Jewish and early Christian works, Satan is used by God to test people using deception and trickery.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join