It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Who Have Experienced a Total Solar Eclipse - Is it Worth Driving 10 or More Hours to See.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

This one is going to be about the journey and not the destination.

Create a mixtape.

Don't forget the cooler box.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I witnessed a 92% eclipse black in the '99.

I wasn't like twilight as some others on here have said, it was weird, and unique. There was an eerie stillness that added to the experience, when it passed things returned to normal. It was the contrast between normal daytime activity around me(I was in a city) and weird half light stillness that I remember the most, like something beyond my comprehension was passing overhead.

I think that if I was going to travel someplace to see one again I'd pick somewhere special.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnderAether
The only one I saw was in 1979.

I was in grade 3 or 4. I only remember making a contraption with a shoebox as a class project to safely view. I peeked at the rclipse and lived. Eyes are good now.

I hope people post their experiences this time around.

My experience was similar. Unfortunately, I was in a family of seven. By the time the box got to me, it was over.

We were also told we could look at it through several layers of undeveloped camera film, but that wasn't something we could afford.

The thing I remember most is how quiet the birds were when night came in the middle of the day. Chirping away one moment, then silence, then back to chirping when the sunlight hit once again.

As for making a 3 hour trip these days to see one, I wouldn't. All the traffic, the people, and all the other hassles. Sure, it's a unique experience, but it doesn't last very long. Like finding two identical snowflakes. You can always watch videos of the event later which will likely be better than what you could witness in person.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Great American Eclipse | Full Documentary | NOVA | PBS
Great program on the 2024 Eclipse. Where I live we will be getting 87.7 % coverage and Detroit will see 99.7 %
edit on 6-4-2024 by bluemooone44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DampDave
I was in Nashville which happened to be in the full eclipse band a few years back, and its very much a unique experience. They sun moon aspect is cool to see sure...but I also remember the shadows flickering around and that being more interesting to me.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Being in the grasp of night time darkness in the middle of the early afternoon, that was totally worth my nine hour drive in 2017. I missed the ring of fire though as clouds blew in about halfway as the sun was getting covered.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DampDave
I witnessed a 92% eclipse black in the '99.

I wasn't like twilight as some others on here have said, it was weird, and unique. There was an eerie stillness that added to the experience, when it passed things returned to normal. It was the contrast between normal daytime activity around me(I was in a city) and weird half light stillness that I remember the most, like something beyond my comprehension was passing overhead.

I think that if I was going to travel someplace to see one again I'd pick somewhere special.

Twilight only happens at 99.5% basically totality weird I know...

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If you have never seen one then YES! If you have not really worth it at your distance because it is very doubtful you'll find a hotel to stay in. But if you do go it is an amazing possibly once in a lifetime experience!

I was lucky enough to live only a couple hours from the last one in 2017, so I had been preparing for years for it!

Recently we decided to see the annual eclipse in 2023 from its totality. That is the the moon does not completely cover the sun and creates what is called the "Ring of fire" it was nearly a total wash because of weather! That one made me sad because photographing an eclipse is not easy.

I had been planing to do the April 8th eclipse but to haul my equipment clear across the country started to seem more daunting after the last disappointment so I decided to stay home and get what I can of the partial eclipse!

GOOD LUCK!

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This will be my fourth total or near total eclipse, that I can remember. It’s loosing its pizazz. Since this one will be approximately 85% for me, Tennessee. I’ll probably take the afternoon off and have a drink on the patio and watch. Just in case anything outrageous happens.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Therealbeverage

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Those Who Have Experienced a Total Solar Eclipse - Is it Worth Driving 10 or More Hours to See.

Of course it is....this time there will be nachos, topless dancers and free beer. RSVP...

The Church of the subgenius are throwing and epic party like always....Praise BOB!
edit on 6-4-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Not a total but I watched the partial eclipse of August 1999 in London, UK and it was one of the best things I have ever witnessed even if the clouds did their best to ruin it.
The rapidly darkening sky was just so eerie - I would love to experience a total eclipse one day.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You're not getting any younger. On the other hand, it might kill ya. I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I watched the one in 2017 from my backyard. It was definitely worth going outside for, but I wouldn't travel more than 30 minutes to see one.

Was your backyard eclipse a TOTAL eclipse of the Sun?

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2v2
Indianapolis speedway is having an eclipse event - if you want to be with a large group

or if you believe article abcnews.go.com...

there are plenty of small towns and parks along 65.

I think about spending Sunday night, you will be paying big $ at the last minute but at least you will avoid Monday morning traffic.

Thank-you. It would have to be I-65 SOUTH of Indianapolis. I-65 between Indy and Chicago will not be in the path of totality, except right in Indianapolis itself.

The link you provided from ABC News is about how they're hoping for Iran to launch a terrorist attack against Israel.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

i'm only going to go about 20 feet, into the man cave, turn on the big screen and look at full on.

Understood. My wife is going to watch on TV too. She might as well pull up a YouTube video filmed by past eclipse goers. They're all pretty much produce the same visual effects...long with the quick cool-down.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: WeMustCare
To drive from my home (just west of Chicago, Illinois) to the closest point of totality (Indianapolis, Indiana) is normally 3hr and 45min. But I'm assuming traffic will be heavier than usual on Monday, so I'm using "5 hours" as a more realistic estimate.

I'd give myself much more time than that. My brother in Omaha drove to see the last one. The drive was supposed to be 2 hours but it ended up being 5. "They" are saying this time the traffic is going to be even worse.

Thank-you for the useful advice. You have reinforced my decision to leave at 4am, instead of 6am, as originally planned.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

We had a total eclipse in the UK in 1999 and it was a cool thing to observe , we won't get another until 2090 so it was a once in a lifetime experience.

From the dimming of the light as the Moon travelled across the Sun , seeing Baily's Beads , the Diamond ring and a prominent Solar flare at totality to experiencing the drop in temperature and the confused wildlife as an Ethereal light replaced daylight it was an experience I will never forget , if the weather is right and you have some Eclipse glasses it's absolutely worth the journey if you want an out of the ordinary experience.

HUGE thanks for the detailed description of what to expect. I had forgotten all about "Baily's Beads" being revealed...and the ECLIPSE glasses. Will pick up a pair tomorrow, after a little research into what's the best kind, and, if they are really needed if you have Sun Glasses. Thanks again!!

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unharmed
I don't believe in that kind of sorecery. You should at least drive your car to the North East so you can stay in the dark for a couple of hours following the eclipse. The universe took years of preparation for this, the lives of thousands of people, civilisations and drinking coffee and mowing the lawn. You just can't let the moon slip away on this.

There are people who take (expensive) Eclipse Tour Flights, where everyone drinks and orgies in the dark, while following the eclipse. I imagine the jet must be very fast.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlongCameaSpider
The moon blocks out the sun.

Then it’s over.

Nothing mystical will happen.

Actually, the moon is Eclipsing the Sun 24/7, 365 days @ year. If you had a spaceship, you could keep it in the Moon's shadow as long as you wanted to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join