It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Who Have Experienced a Total Solar Eclipse - Is it Worth Driving 10 or More Hours to See.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Friday, April 5, 2024

To drive from my home (just west of Chicago, Illinois) to the closest point of totality (Indianapolis, Indiana) is normally 3hr and 45min. But I'm assuming traffic will be heavier than usual on Monday, so I'm using "5 hours" as a more realistic estimate.

On Monday April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse, known as the "Great North American Eclipse," will trace a narrow path of totality across 13 U.S. states. A detailed map of each state along the path of totality can be found below.
Maps of the Total Solar Eclipse states: nationaleclipse.com...

-------

Question: For those of you who HAVE EXPERIENCED a Total Solar Eclipse...if you drove at least 10 hours round trip, was it worth it?

If I knew it was going to be mostly Sunny... and if I knew there would be no traffic jams or road closures, I wouldn't even have started this thread. Driving 4 hours to see a Total Solar Eclipse for the first (and probably only) time, would be a no-brainer.

This trip will be a "GO" or a "NO GO" on Monday morning based on what the weather and traffic maps show & project, and how much effort you "experienced" total eclipse veterans recommend be invested towards viewing it. I'll watch/film on the side of the road, hop back in the car and return home. Since I drive 5-6 hours every day for Amazon and Roadie, 10 hours on Monday to see a Total Eclipse isn't a turn-off.

But would it be WORTH IT, if the 10 hours turns into 15 or more...or if the sky is cloudy?

If YOU have experienced a Total Solar Eclipse, how much effort do you recommend first-timers put in to seeing their first?

As the below map shows, the next large coverage USA Solar Eclipse won't be until 2099..

Those born this year will be 75 years young in 2099: nationaleclipse.com...

Thanks in advance for all Experience-based Responses!

-WeMustCare 😎🌞

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think I drove about 4 or 5 hours one way to see the last one. We even stayed the night before in a hotel to split up the drive.

I think it was worth it, and fortunately we had good weather. I doubt that I will ever get another reasonable opportunity to see totality again, so I'm glad I made the trip.

I read that if it's a little cloudy, the clouds could disappear as the cooling of the Moon's shadow approachs, so that could help with viewing.

Good luck if you decide to make the trip.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

If you have the chance, you should take it. There is nothing like seeing that rapidly approaching, impending awful shadow of doom, and being encompassed within it.
edit on 2320242024k28America/Chicago2024-04-05T22:28:23-05:0010pm2024-04-05T22:28:23-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I drove from the SF Bay Area to Eugene Oregon and back for the 2017 eclipse. It was definitely worth it. Interestingly enough, traffic was much less dense than usual. Probably because most of the locals were worried about traffic and stayed off the road.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IndieA

Thank-you. You must be referring to the 2017 total eclipse? I wonder why it wasn't treated with a lot of attention and fanfare like this one? It cut across a bunch of Western U.S. States.

Anyway, your experience-based recommendation to go see the eclipse, is appreciated!

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

If you have the chance, you should take it. There is nothing like seeing that rapidly approaching, impending awful shadow of doom, and being encompassed within it.

That is what I'm reading from others, who say anything less than a 100% eclipse is a nothing burger. The Chicago news stations are all excited because the Sun will be 93% covered at maximum...for a minute. Even if I drive to a point where it's 99%, that's not good enough, according to veteran solar eclipse viewers.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

I drove from the SF Bay Area to Eugene Oregon and back for the 2017 eclipse. It was definitely worth it. Interestingly enough, traffic was much less dense than usual. Probably because most of the locals were worried about traffic and stayed off the road.

It was cloudy every day I was in Oregon last September. The 2017 eclipse must have happened during a good time of the year, weather-wise.

"Definitely Worth It", is a really strong endorsement, and increases my determination to go. I'm now at 70% determined!
Thank-you!

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I was truck driving OTR right thru the last one. So at three
hundred dollars a day, hell ya it was worth it.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astrocometus

I was truck driving OTR right thru the last one. So at three
hundred dollars a day, hell ya it was worth it.

You made me realize that I could turn on my ROADIE app and (maybe) pick up/deliver something heading that way...and something coming back towards the Chicago area. I wouldn't earn $300, but maybe $100. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:30 PM
link   

There you go brother! Have a safe trip.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I watched the one in 2017 from my backyard. It was definitely worth going outside for, but I wouldn't travel more than 30 minutes to see one.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Indianapolis speedway is having an eclipse event - if you want to be with a large group

or if you believe article abcnews.go.com...

there are plenty of small towns and parks along 65.

I think about spending Sunday night, you will be paying big $ at the last minute but at least you will avoid Monday morning traffic.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The only one I saw was in 1979.

I was in grade 3 or 4. I only remember making a contraption with a shoebox as a class project to safely view. I peeked at the rclipse and lived. Eyes are good now.

I hope people post their experiences this time around.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 02:03 AM
link   

i'm only going to go about 20 feet, into the man cave, turn on the big screen and look at full on.

(post by liberalskeptic removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare
To drive from my home (just west of Chicago, Illinois) to the closest point of totality (Indianapolis, Indiana) is normally 3hr and 45min. But I'm assuming traffic will be heavier than usual on Monday, so I'm using "5 hours" as a more realistic estimate.

I'd give myself much more time than that. My brother in Omaha drove to see the last one. The drive was supposed to be 2 hours but it ended up being 5. "They" are saying this time the traffic is going to be even worse.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 04:28 AM
link   

We had a total eclipse in the UK in 1999 and it was a cool thing to observe , we won't get another until 2090 so it was a once in a lifetime experience.

From the dimming of the light as the Moon travelled across the Sun , seeing Baily's Beads , the Diamond ring and a prominent Solar flare at totality to experiencing the drop in temperature and the confused wildlife as an Ethereal light replaced daylight it was an experience I will never forget , if the weather is right and you have some Eclipse glasses it's absolutely worth the journey if you want an out of the ordinary experience.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I don't believe in that kind of sorecery. You should at least drive your car to the North East so you can stay in the dark for a couple of hours following the eclipse. The universe took years of preparation for this, the lives of thousands of people, civilisations and drinking coffee and mowing the lawn. You just can't let the moon slip away on this.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The moon blocks out the sun.

Then it’s over.

Nothing mystical will happen.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It’s as impressive as any dusk you have ever experienced.

A few minutes of dusk. Your call really depends how much slight darkness excites you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join