It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking poll reveals that 37% of Americans believe in creationism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Venkuish1

originally posted by: pennylane123
I dont care what people think I feel instinctively like there is more to it . And I trust my instinct.

Evolution does not disprove a creator at all . Maybe our creator planned evolution

That's what 24% in the survey answered. No evidence there was a creator by the way. All physical and biochemical processes have natural causes. There is none having supernatural causes.

Us living in a simulation is more likely than evolution

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I dont care what people think I feel instinctively like there is more to it . And I trust my instinct.

Evolution does not disprove a creator at all . Maybe our creator planned evolution

That's what 24% in the survey answered. No evidence there was a creator by the way. All physical and biochemical processes have natural causes. There is none having supernatural causes.

Us living in a simulation is more likely than evolution

These statements show why the problem begins in the educational system imo.

A number of adults seem to completely dismiss and disregard basic facts not only in relation to the human origins but in relation to how stars and galaxies are formed, the nature of light and electromagnetic radiation, lack of knowledge of basic chemical reactions, and lack of understanding of the physical laws. It's disturbing but it's true.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Venkuish1

Not sure why this is shocking or even news.

What's so jaw dropping about having religious beliefs?

If speaking of Americans, if anything, a vast majority were exposed to some sort of religious faith growing up. To believe God created everything is a beautiful belief to hold. Why?

Because creationism gives people humility. Those that believe science can solve all our problems will do just about ANYTHING to prove that it can, even to the extent of ironically wiping out humanity itself.

"Creationism in relation to the origin of humans is the outdated and debunked religious view that humans are not products of the evolutionary process but they were created by a supernatural force through divine creation and this is contrary to all the evidence we have and by completely dismissing and disregarding facts and science altogether. "

So you're saying religion in general is a complete falsehood, nothing but a fantastic collection of fables without any merit?? And we should trade the humility and restraint it provides with arrogance and hubris?

That's not a good trade off. I'd further argue that religion produces some the best well-rounded and ETHICAL scientists out there, imo.

"You were so preoccupied with the fact that you could, that you didn't stop to think if you should!"
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park, 1993)

I like the idea that there's a "conflict of faith" as it pertains to certain scientific R&D. It's always good to look before you leap. Without anything above to be concerned about, humans almost begin to play God by default.

We are far from being worthy of worship, that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

More than 50% of US baby boys get circumcised... Creationism? not really surprising if you ask me...

Circumcision isn't relevant to this topic but may I add that the reasons can be both religious and cultural. You don't need to be a creationist to get circumcised.
edit on 28-2-2024 by Venkuish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

Not sure why this is shocking or even news.

What's so jaw dropping about having religious beliefs?

If speaking of Americans, if anything, a vast majority were exposed to some sort of religious faith growing up. To believe God created everything is a beautiful belief to hold. Why?

Because creationism gives people humility. Those that believe science can solve all our problems will do just about ANYTHING to prove that it can, even to the extent of ironically wiping out humanity itself.

"Creationism in relation to the origin of humans is the outdated and debunked religious view that humans are not products of the evolutionary process but they were created by a supernatural force through divine creation and this is contrary to all the evidence we have and by completely dismissing and disregarding facts and science altogether. "

So you're saying religion in general is a complete falsehood, nothing but a fantastic collection of fables without any merit?? And we should trade the humility and restraint it provides with arrogance and hubris?

That's not a good trade off. I'd further argue that religion produces some the best well-rounded and ETHICAL scientists out there, imo.

"You were so preoccupied with the fact that you could, that you didn't stop to think if you should!"
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park, 1993)

I like the idea that there's a "conflict of faith" as it pertains to certain scientific R&D. It's always good to look before you leap. Without anything above to be concerned about, humans almost begin to play God by default.

We are far from being worthy of worship, that's for sure.

I have already explained in my OP the religious backgrounds of many Americans and the fact Christianity is embedded in the educational system and followed from generation to generation. The shocking part is that a large number of people in 2023/24 are still having these outdated and debunked views about the origin of humans, our planet, or the universe.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Yeah, but you're framing it as if it's a bad thing to hold religious beliefs.

We get it. You're atheist, that's fine. But being shocked that people hold religious beliefs that have been reaffirmed countless times over thousands of years is just theatrics on your part.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Darth Vader.

Religion is based on revelation and blind faith.

Science is based on evidence and proof.

I think I know which path I should follow...

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

Yeah, but you're framing it as if it's a bad thing to hold religious beliefs.

We get it. You're atheist, that's fine. But being shocked that people hold religious beliefs that have been reaffirmed countless times over thousands of years is just theatrics on your part.

The beliefs have not been proven to be right. You used reaffirmed correctly as all there is to them is passing of false and very misleading information from generation to generation. It's shocking to have these views in the 21st century especially in the US that has contributed massively in the progress of science, engineering, medicine.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

So tell me, when exactly did science debunk creationism, as you claim? Sorry, but a dogmatic belief in evolution as the
catch-all answer doesn't cut it anymore.

Why can scientists look at a relatively simple machine, like an outboard motor, and every one of them would agree that someone obviously designed it, but show them something infinitely mote complex, like DNA, and they'll scoff if you suggest that there is a creator behind it.

Do some research on irreducible complexity. It's all over the place in the natural world. Whether you want to assign it a name, like "God" or not, something is designing it.

I didn't make a claim but stated a fact.
Evolution is a fact.

Creationism is an outdated end debunked view and this is a fact.

Creationism has been asserted by religious people without a shred of evidence to support the claims made in its favour. But basic high school science shows exactly the opposite of what creationists have claimed over centuries if not millennia.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:29 AM
link   
A lot and I mean alot of top scientist believe simulation is a very real possibility.

And that would kind of prove a creator huh?

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:30 AM
link   

So tell me, when exactly did science debunk creationism, as you claim? Sorry, but a dogmatic belief in evolution as the

Why can scientists look at a relatively simple machine, like an outboard motor, and every one of them would agree that someone obviously designed it, but show them something infinitely mote complex, like DNA, and they'll scoff if you suggest that there is a creator behind it.

Do some research on irreducible complexity. It's all over the place in the natural world. Whether you want to assign it a name, like "God" or not, something is designing it.

Evolution is a fact.

Creationism has been asserted by religious people without a shred of evidence to support the claims made in its favour. But basic high school science shows exactly the opposite of what creationists have claimed over centuries if not millennia.

Its not a fact no matter how many times you say it you could very well be wrong.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Darth Vader.

Religion is based on revelation and blind faith.

Science is based on evidence and proof.

I think I know which path I should follow...

oh lord its not just religious people who believe in a creator. I haven't been to church in over 50 years, hate all religions, think they made them to control us.

But I still think there is a god/creator/Alien/ AI/ something Its that voice in my head that says this is wrong dont do it , Its why we feel compassion . But you do you .
edit on 28-2-2024 by pennylane123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2024 by pennylane123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:39 AM
link   

It's a religious tradition, if you're so deluded you are willing to mutilate kids in the name of god, you will belive he created live

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pennylane123

For people like you there always has to be more....something, anything.

This life is never enough.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Strangely enough I'm a non-believer believing that we were in fact created/engineered.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I'm speaking of faith being rewarded which reaffirms belief. It seems your scientific lens on life doesn't allow you to reconcile that, but that's not shocking either.

Are you waiting to be convinced? Why start a thread complaining about your own convictions?Wait....are you looking for a Bible study?

I think you want a Bible study. It's okay if you do!

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Evolution is a fact.

Its not a fact no matter how many times you say it you could very well be wrong.

I assume you have missed valuable lessons in school or you haven't paid much attention in your biology classes.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Abstract

Evolution is both a fact and a theory.Evolution is widely observable in laboratory and natural populations as they change over time. The fact that we need annual flu vaccines is one example of observable evolution. At the same time, evolutionary theory explains more than observations, as the succession on the fossil record. Hence, evolution is also the scientific theory that embodies biology, including all organisms and their characteristics. In this paper, we emphasize why evolution is the most important theory in biology. Evolution explains every biological detail, similar to how history explains many aspects of a current political situation. Only evolution explains the patterns observed in the fossil record. Examples include the succession in the fossil record; we cannot find the easily fossilized mammals before 300 million years ago; after the extinction of the dinosaurs, the fossil record indicates that mammals and birds radiated throughout the planet. Additionally, the fact that we are able to construct fairly consistent phylogenetic trees using distinct genetic markers in the genome is only explained by evolutionary theory. Finally, we show that the processes that drive evolution, both on short and long time scales, are observable facts.

A good quality scientific peer-reviewed paper. The authors are from the Departments of Genetics and Biodiversity respectively.

It's quite concerning that yourself and other creationists hold a view which is baseless.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

For people like you there always has to be more....something, anything.

This life is never enough.

People like me? Please tell me what I think. Tell me if I believe in an after life or heaven and hell.

I dont believe in any of crap. But I also dont believe we use to be monkeys

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:51 AM
link   

You said it yourself. God, Creator, Alien, AI...something more.

And we didn't "use to be monkeys" but we have a common long distant ancestor.

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 02:56 AM
link   

NIH ? I bet they have papers about men getting pregnant and how awesome the Jabs are. Im sorry if I doubt all of what they have ever said now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join