It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Ministry of Defence goes Star Wars with the New DragonFire system

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The British military have successfully test fired our New Star Wars weapon at Scotland , sorry , in Scotland to show the capability of lasers when used against The New Scourge ... Attack of the Drones.

The DragonFire system costs about £10 a shot which is considerably less than the Imperial Credits it costs to fire a rocket plus DragonFire travels at the speed of light so it gets quicker results ... but it still won't make the Kessel Run in Less Than 12 Parsecs

"Stay on target."

The Royal Navy are so impressed they are also looking at getting one so they can shoot at Drones , enemy ships and those pesky Dolphins.

DragonFire is a "line of sight weapon" that can "engage with any visible target" at the speed of light, the MoD has said.

The ministry added that the weapon "boasts pinpoint accuracy" and uses an "intense beam of light to cut through the target, leading to structural failure or more impactful results if the warhead is targeted".

The laser has been fired at aerial targets for the first time during a trial at the MoD's Hebrides Range in northwest Scotland.

DragonFire was able to destroy incoming drones from several positions miles away, The Times has reported.

Shimon Fhima, director of strategic programmes at the MoD, said: "The DragonFire trials at the Hebrides demonstrated that our world-leading technology can track and engage high-end effects at range. In a world of evolving threats, we know that our focus must be on getting capability to the warfighter and we will look to accelerate this next phase of activity."

The development of DragonFire is being led by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl), on behalf of the MoD, working with its industry partners MBDA, Leonardo and QinetiQ.

The weapon system is the result of a £100m joint investment by the MoD and its industry partners.
news.sky.com... rones-13051553

" These aren't the Drones you are looking for"

edit on 19-1-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This is next

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Lazers? But what about chrome drones. Reflective shielding.

Sir, do we have to go to Red alert?..
But I will have to change the bulb.

edit on 19-1-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Next up, DISCO PLANES!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 12:48 PM
link   

pretty cool they got it working up in foggy old Scotland to be fair!

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I think the boffins up at Hebrides Range bought one of those modified laser pens off Amazon. It's a tenner 'cause no one had prime so they have to keep paying for the delivery each time they fire!!

edit on 19-1-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 02:20 PM
link   
But, but, but....it heats up the CLIMATE!!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I wonder what the effective range is? Because seeing as we actually live on a flat earth, they could technically target beyond the visible horizon, as the laser would scree across the ocean without any silly curve theory sending it off into 'space'.

Flame in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I feel a disturbance in the Force....
edit on 19-1-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Have to wonder how it would do against a Russian Cruise missile, with the technology scaled up and taken to its logical conclusion?

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BaddieMcBadass
Next up, DISCO PLANES!!!

You can NOT shoot some thing down thats has a mirror coating.
will not do the camra any good!
just have to keep the camra door cloesd untill needed.

now they need to make a directed EMP gun.
oh wait! thats... um secret.
thank you N Tesla

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I wonder how distortions created by air over water would equate into it's accuracy. I suppose a computerized system could evaluate that if programmed correctly.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 10:49 PM
link   

In Scotland? Well, there oors now, come get them...

Seriously, pretty cool though, I'd love a shot at firing it for a tenner, target: Westminster.
lol:

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost
You can NOT shoot some thing down thats has a mirror coating.

Yes you can.

Aim for their eyes in the cockpit.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Have to wonder how it would do against a Russian Cruise missile, with the technology scaled up and taken to its logical conclusion?

The logical conclusion is a cruise missile with a lazer in it's tip.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It's hard to find much in specifications of this Dragonfire LASER since it's mostly classified.

Interesting though, for sure. The UK is building another one called the Vulcan 20-20 completion date in 2029. The year Skynet attacks

The Vulcan 20-20 will be the most powerful LASER ever built.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Great editorial - made me laugh 😀

This is indeed the future! Reagan's fake Star Wars Project is finally on the horizon for real.

Wonder how quickly they’ll get this working against missiles, including intercontinental and hypersonic; surely a speed of light system can be made to intercept even hypersonic objects, given enough math and processing speed can spot the object and plot an interception. Also they’ll want this working air to air and from orbit

Tesla will be laughing at how long it took us to get to this point

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: McGinty

would be nice if they just put up a bunch of satellites with it installed in a network so that when any idiot decides to start a nuclear war the icbms just get shot down from space

interesting they tested it in Scotland

I wonder what James Clerk Maxwell would have thought about this
edit on 20-1-2024 by sapien1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

I can't see how that would stop the missile from being targeted or destroyed.

For that to work along the lines of one beam canceling out the other.

They would need to be oscillating at exactly the same frequency, and the phases differ by 180 degrees.

posted on Jan, 20 2024 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien1982

This is inevitable if the current global paradigm continues (if that is disrupted then attempts by one side to do it would be explicitly shot down by another)

Imagine if such a thing were in ‘the wrong hands’? A blue print for tyranny

But yeah, Reagan’ Star Wars will eventually be a reality

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join