It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life as a simulation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Well if the universe turned out to be deterministic we would indeed amount non-player characters as far as i can establish.

Not quite sure what choice has to do with much in a deterministic verse never mind Pikachu.

Coz that choice would be an illusion.

The universe would be the game, in a sandbox, who knows what is outside.

You are not an NPC because regardless of gender, race, social status or any other variable predetermined, you are experiencing, acting and reacting first hand. You are an active player.

Well, good shape is preferable to the alternative.

Not if you want to dodge the draft.

A lot of them did choose it willingly no less.

Simulation theory simply says they chose before they were even born.

As to what people are, well the real question is what consciousness is, and whether or not our path is set.

I like to think we do indeed possess a modicum of free will.

But the fact that humanity chooses to repeat her past historical transgressions and expect a different outcome does not inspire much confidence.

Well if the answer is that consciousness exists outside the human form then human life is a ride in a borrowed vehicle.

I guess you can say the experience is limited by the type of vehicle you borrowed. Free will? Sure you can drive slow or fast, pick up friends or a hooker. Drive it off a cliff.

So yeah, modicum of free will.

posted on Dec, 31 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I have to disagree with that, I can imagine something (daydream), I have normal dreams (where I don't realize it is a dream until I wake up), lucid dreams (where i know I'm dreaming while still in the dream) and I have had OBE's which are like none of the above. They are not the same.

When I say the mind does not know the difference I mean on a chemical level . Reality , Thoughts and Dreams all produce the same response to the unconscious mind .

of course your waking mind knows the difference , " Oh that was just a dream " . Though try to remember a Dream after you wake and tell me how that goes.

The Chemical response to the brain is all the same .

posted on Dec, 31 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow
Sorry, but I have to say no.

Actually, I can wake up and tell myself I want to continue that dream and actually do that. When I have lucid dreams I can rewind them and then try something different to change the outcome. OBEs are something else, they are like reality. Daydreams I can form however I want.

I'm not even sure the brain is involved in a couple of those scenarios.

edit on 31-12-2023 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2023 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
a reply to: dust2023

As I said in another thread yesterday about simulation theory, it proves itself wrong. If life is a simulation, as soon as a player figured this out, they would be removed. Also the simulated characters would be programmed to not even be able to figure it out.

Why? If you can't escape the simulation, what would it matter whether you knew it was a simulation or not?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 31 2023 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
Why? If you can't escape the simulation, what would it matter whether you knew it was a simulation or not?

I feel the need to say this.

I think I got close to leaving the simulation about 15 years ago. I posted about that experience here before in more detail.

Cut to the chase, I heard a voice, while I was just pleasantly enjoying nothingness after feeling ef this place and just scrambling like a bat out of hell, that I had to finish it. I knew the voice was talking about the "game". I said that I knew. I couldn't see anything but I shifted my focus down and to the left and locked on to something. Like I said, I couldn't visualize it, but I knew I was on target, earth.

In a second I was waking up drenched in sweat. My wife next to me didn't notice anything. I went to get a large towel to place on the bed and the lights went out before by head hit the pillow.

Like a rollercoaster with 3 loops, where you want off after the first one but you are strapped in for all 3 and whatever dips and twists it has for you.

edit on 31-12-2023 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I think you were having a nightmare. I have them all the time but, they're just dreams.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 03:55 AM
link   

This world is a simulation created for learning.

Life and ego's personality is determined by Zodiacs and Numerology.

There are Karmic consequences for actions.

You can play many characters (incarnations) many times.

When you die you go to Heaven (anti-matter space) to rest and plan another incarnation.

You can "pass" another stages in the Game, but it over by now (the time of The Great Harvest has already end).
edit on 11:11:2023 by Agleaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   

The answer thus far, is definitively, we simply cannot say one way or the other, as to the makeup of the universe.

Or if it's it's deterministic or otherwise.

We can only observe and detect around 4% of the universe to date.

The answer is, that further study is most definitely required, far as i can establish.

Same with where consciousness resides or emerges.
edit on 1-1-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Obvious issue here is that since you really have no free will,

There is no way to determine if we have free will or not. There is no objective way to figure it out. Due to human bias/selective perception, which is subconscious controlled. In fact the subconscious could be in complete control, giving the illusion of free will. Relativity suggest we don't have free will, while quantum mechanics suggest we do. The fact that the two leading theories on how the universe works are in direct contradiction to each other. Tells me something funny is going on.

So to me, I think this new idea of "reality" is a lazy attempt at understanding life

I think it all just randomly happened, is the laziest attempt to understand this construct. Someone said, the universe is not as strange as we imagine, it's stranger than we can imagine.

it is being preferred by people that already tend to want to vew their own lives as movies that other people really do need to pay attention to.

I'm pretty sure you are describing fakebook users, in the above.

I see absolutely no real evidence that our lives are just a really big and complex video game.

Simulations and video games are two different things. While some video games claim to be a simulation, they are just a video game, there intended purpose is to be entertainment. While a simulation is a tool to try and learn something from. The universe could be just some video game to some super intelligent being, it also could be a simulation. What ever it is, it is beyond our current comprehension, and anyone guess on what it is, is as good as the next.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1
I think you were having a nightmare. I have them all the time but, they're just dreams.

It wasn't a nightmare, it was an OBE and it was awesome.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The answer thus far, is definitively, we simply cannot say one way or the other, as to the makeup of the universe.

Or if it's it's deterministic or otherwise.

We can only observe and detect around 4% of the universe to date.

The answer is, that further study is most definitely required, far as i can establish.

Same with where consciousness resides or emerges.

Sure, even Monroe accepted that with the technology he had at hand he couldn't prove the OBE phenomenon was real.

At this point anyone saying it is religious type woo woo is right. Still, if it happens to you, it is hard to ignore or not recognize the differences between imagining, regular dreaming, lucid dreaming and OBEs.

At least I have come to recognize the difference, not that it amounts to anything for anyone else.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Sorry, but I have to say no.

Actually, I can wake up and tell myself I want to continue that dream and actually do that. When I have lucid dreams I can rewind them and then try something different to change the outcome. OBEs are something else, they are like reality. Daydreams I can form however I want.

I'm not even sure the brain is involved in a couple of those scenarios.

Mate that is very Impressive.

I've worked for years to remember my dreams it is very difficult. I am getting better at controlling my dreams while I'm in them though.

edit on 1-1-2024 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I guess I started young because when I was around 11 I had my first OBE, I also around that time had a really long dejavu.

Hard to tell how long it actually was, I find myself trying to time it but catch myself talking slower or jumping ahead when I replay it in my mind.

It started with me gazing at clouds while in math class, the teacher calls my name, I turn around and he says "you are not going to learn anything looking out there". I say I'm sorry that I will pay attention and he turns around to continue giving his class. A few seconds later there is a knock on the door. It is the english teacher, the math teacher waves her in and she walks to the front of the class, she has a folder in her hand and she opens it and shows the math teacher something, they look up at me, I'm already freaking out because I either dreamt or already lived this scene and I remember it. They call me up to the front.

I don't know if it was anxiety or what. I know that them calling me up was when the dejavu feeling stopped. I don't even remember the reason in real life. All I recall was that I was not in trouble.

Now here is a thing about predeterminism, in the memory/precognition I knew I turned around, like everyone else would, and did. when I realized it had started and heard the knock I locked my eyes to the chalkboard and resisted the urge. I already knew who was at the door and what she would be wearing and that she would have a folder in her hand, she would walk to the front of the class and it would end up with me being called up.

When I was in my early twenties I told someone, not the brightest guy, this story and I think I may have oversold the "I changed it" twist because he said: "That's it, all you did was not turn around? That ain't nothing"

Not going to lie, I felt deflated when he said that but thinking back on it know it was an example of free will but it was also an example of how little it affects the big picture.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 05:30 PM
link   

In fact you fighting the urge to turn around was a massive gathering of power on your part .

In a way you transcended time if only for a moment and changed your course in life or " Destiny " if you will .... That small decision not to turn around in the grand scheme of things could have shifted a tectonic plate under China's north sea for ever changing the course of Universal events.

That is how sensitive our connection to the cosmos is .

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   
To paraphrase Jules from pulp fiction:"...And I'd like that. But that shizz ain't the truth."

I mean I understand the butterfly effect, but in the unimaginable amount of actions taken every day by beings on this planet, some kid in another classroom half-way around the world might have turned around cause the universe made him think he heard something and just balanced out my action.

Of course, there is no way to know one way or the other. It is fun to ponder though.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yes but the difference between you and the other possible kid . Is that you had a Precognition moment you knew what was coming and you fought the fates and did the opposite of what you should have done.

While yes I believe in Balance above almost everything else, there are those moments that twist the very fabric of time.

posted on Jan, 1 2024 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I really do appreciate the sentiment, but like I said, I doubt it.

Of course, to me, it was one of the things that made a very deep impression in how I think. The idea that I somehow knew the scene was set up and performed, despite me falling out of character, is something that made me wonder about the meaning of life from an early age.

How much free will is there really? I honestly felt excited that I could resist the urge, I wasn't afraid nor did I feel bad but right know I'm thinking that I could have felt overwhelmed and ran out screaming or maybe even jumped out the window and labeled whatever.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There is a book or story floating around about a guy who is able to OBE and ride along with the Aliens to different worlds. Pretty entertaining.

Anyways, It’s ok to think we live in a simulation but I believe that it’s is not healthy to live and act like we live in a simulation. It “cheapens” everything and everyone. One aspect is the “F-its” you know, the career criminals, although they may not know the philosophy of simulation, it’s basically the same thing, in their mind, they don’t care. They treat everything like it doesn’t matter. That’s an unhealthy way to live, and destroys the people and society around them.

Not saying you’d become a criminal, but it’s a slippery slope to loosing morals.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 07:08 AM
link   

At least I have come to recognize the difference, not that it amounts to anything for anyone else.

I've had lucid dreams, but never an OBE, unless i count dreams where i am flying i suppose.

posted on Jan, 2 2024 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I've had lucid dreams, but never an OBE, unless i count dreams where i am flying i suppose.

I think there is something that clicks and you know.

I've heard people say they can transition from lucid dreams to OBEs but I have never done that. All but one of my OBEs have started with me looking at myself in bed and thinking, hey I got out again. In only two have I gone somewhere outside earth, the one I mentioned above and one where I saw an energy being. It was an all flowy light and love thing. Yes, I was convinced it was a messenger of god.

In all the others it's just the same world I experience in waking life. I can fly around, try to visit someone I know, maybe try to pull them out but something always yanks me back. I guess it is against the rules.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join