It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Government is Headed Towards Another Shut Down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is not going to happen.

Anyway, where are the 1.5 trillion tax dollars that democrats got last year.

$1.5 trillion you say?

Well let's see, $1.5 trillion works out to be about 4.5% of the national debt.

What's the interest rate at these days?

8.9 percent on a tractor, as of last weekend

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: IndieA

Running or shut down, is there really a difference right now.

The only thing that happens when they shut down or say they are going to shut down is the retired military folks get all stirred up.

As well they should get stirred up - they have a right to. They fought so people like you could enjoy the freedoms of this country. And in some cases, they got disabled doing it. I am a disabled veteran and the government promised me the disability pay I get each month.

Edited to add this special reminder:
And let's NOT forget all the ones that gave up their lives defending people's freedoms in America. A lot never made it back and now lie here in Arlington National Cemetary. I took this shot back in 1979 when I was in D.C.:

edit on 12-9-2023 by TrulyColorBlind because: Added an afterthought and an image. Let us not forget.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'm always happy to hear when government shuts down.

You monster!!!!

How will the Ukraine get their next 1 trillion dollars if you shut it down. Think about those poor Ukrainian leaders not being able to buy their yachts or their 3rd home in the French Muslim Rivera.

edit on 27930America/ChicagoTue, 12 Sep 2023 20:27:00 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
There are a lot of governors that have stated they won't follow shut down mandates. I don't know how firm they are in their statements but there are a few states that definitely won't comply. And those states are having a pretty big influx of their populations recently.

One can only hope that the majority of people will not put up with the ridiculous mandates.

I think it's safe to say that many countries, the USA included, wouldn't survive another shut down like the last one. Especially so since they haven't recovered from it.

I don't know how you could do a 'mini' shutdown since it would almost be an oxymoron. But keeping distance from each other might help a bit. Other than that, life goes on.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

You've a point.

When the gov't shuts down, we aren't hurting the ones we elected to simply do a job.

It always falls down to the vets, poor and old. Always.

Yet that never gets changed and leads to the likelyhood that it is by intentional design.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   

As well they should get stirred up - they have a right to. They fought so people like you could enjoy the freedoms of this country. And in some cases, they got disabled doing it. I am a disabled veteran and the government promised me the disability pay I get each month. Edited to add this special reminder: And let's NOT forget all the ones that gave up their lives defending people's freedoms in America. A lot never made it back and now lie here in Arlington National Cemetary. I took this shot back in 1979 when I was in D.C.:

Don’t get your panties in a bunch.
My dad was a disabled vet.
More of my people than I like to think about are buried at Arlington, some with stories that are horrible.

Quick question though, has your disability pay ever been interrupted?

I think the shut downs are more symbolic, than anything.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheValeyard
That wasn't meant as an insult, buddy. Sorry if it read that way. I only meant that a Gen Zer might not yet understand this has been a "normal" thing for quite a while, because they're still kinda young. Look, I'm only trying to say this crap isn't gonna change, so there's really no point in stressing over it. What can WE do?

a reply to: Crackalackin

I didn't really take it as one. It's taxation without representation at this point.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Crackalackin

The thing is that even if the government does shut down, when it starts back up again, all of the government employees that were laid off will be given back pay for all of the time they were laid off. Again!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Lets go ahead and shut it down.

Appropriate the money back to the taxpayers. It's the least they can do.

I love how Donald Trump shut down 80% of the government for 6 weeks just to prove that most of the Federal Government is not needed.

Now that this is proven, only pundits and politicians fear shutting down non-essential services for any amount of time. Affected Employees get weeks off and full back pay, for doing nothing during those weeks. I bet they love it.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Is not going to happen.

Anyway, where are the 1.5 trillion tax dollars that democrats got last year.

So, I just realized that $1.5 trillion is payroll tax revenue.

Total Federal tax revenue is at $4.46 trillion.

US Debt Clock

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Don’t get your panties in a bunch.
Etcetera....

Don't use that tone with me, young lady, or I'll send you to bed without supper!

On a serious note, though. Since you asked, no, my Army disability pay hasn't been interrupted for an extended period of time. But -
We've never had a President frauded into office before.
We've never had American citizens held as political prisoners for this long before for merely exercising their freedom of speech.
We've never had such an onslaught of gender freaks tearing at the family unit at this rate before.
We've never had so many brainless climate idiots before now.
We've never had an ex-President treated so unlawfully and disrespectful before.

We're in uncharted waters, so who knows what could happen next? And I don't think it's unrealistic to be concerned about what could happen next. Noone can guarantee that if the government were to shut down, it will come back up like it has in times past. Noone can guarantee that.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

We're in uncharted waters, so who knows what could happen next? And I don't think it's unrealistic to be concerned about what could happen next. Noone can guarantee that if the government were to shut down, it will come back up like it has in times past. Noone can guarantee that.

I was a little insensitive, these are unchartered times. I actually think if it ever got to a point where SS or Disability payments stopped that would be the straw that broke the camels back. That would be the table flipping moment in our history.

Ps. Did you know they are running out of room at Arlington and have talked about building a second one in a place like California.. can you imagine/
edit on 13-9-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:20 PM
link   

DEFUND the Biden Administration !...Here Here !

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Last time they did it alot of poor people lost food stamps and ate just now feeling effects of.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I was a little insensitive, these are unchartered times. I actually think if it ever got to a point where SS or Disability payments stopped that would be the straw that broke the camels back. That would be the table flipping moment in our history.

Ps. Did you know they are running out of room at Arlington and have talked about building a second one in a place like California.. can you imagine/

Thank you! I agree with you. If so-called "guaranteed" payments like SS or Disability payments ever stopped, that would definitely be the line of demarcation between what we've come to accept as "normal" life and the unknown it will become. America might not survive.

And as to building another "Arlington" in California, before Arlington was turned into a cemetary, it was just plain land. Now that it's become "sacred" ground, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing for another cemetary for this same function to be started somewhere else. It could eventually be accepted by the masses as another sacred place to bury our fallen soldiers. America has grown greatly since the time our government first plotted D.C. to be our prime headquarters. As long as the burials will be treated reverently, I think that's what really matters.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Less than 36 hours away from a government shutdown and the House is voting on individual spending bills.

edit on 29-9-2023 by IndieA because: Reworded

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I just found out that less than 12 hours before the government was set to run out of money, the House of Representatives passed a 45 day stopgap spending bill.

House to vote on 45-day funding extension to stave off government shutdown

With hours to go before a government shutdown is poised to go into effect, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy announced Saturday he would try to push a short-term funding bill through the House with Democratic help — a move that could keep government open but puts his speakership at risk.

"The House is going to act so government will not shut down," McCarthy said, after an early-morning meeting with the Republican conference Saturday. "We will put a clean funding, stopgap on the floor to keep government open for 45 days for the House and Senate to get their work done." 

Here's another source:

House Approves Last-Minute Stopgap To Avert Government Shutdown

And here the funding measure 355-91:

355-91 PDF

edit on 30-9-2023 by IndieA because: Added information

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy announced Saturday he would try to push a short-term funding bill through the House with Democratic help

So Gaetz is going to be filing his motion to vacate the Speaker's chair on Monday?

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Threadbare

My understanding is that the House now has 45 days to debate and vote on individual appropriations, which is ultimately what Gaetz wants to happen.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Republicans sure are sneaky, its almost like you want a shutdown so our credit rating is downgraded again to a+ so the economy tanks again and everything goes through the roof, if that happens Democrats will lose big everywhere and like usual Republicans will put all the blame onto others and everyone will believe it, sad how corrupt Republicans are, always sabotaging prosperity for the sake of their ambitions for power, always doing everything to create crises whenever Democrats are in office so they can keep getting elected, all the economic trouble they cause yet always have the gall to blame others for it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join