It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US Government is Headed Towards Another Shut Down

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You may not have heard but, unless they act in time, the US government will run out of money again on September 30th.

US government shutdown: what does it mean?

Sept 8 (Reuters) - Large swaths of the U.S. government could temporarily close on Oct. 1 if Congress does not approve spending bills due to a dispute between far-right Republicans and other lawmakers.

Congress must allocate funding to 438 government agencies each fiscal year, which ends on Sept. 30. If lawmakers don't pass those bills before the new fiscal year starts, those agencies will be unable to continue operating as normal.

I've been an advocate for fiscal responsibility in government for decades now, but no one listens to me. Why should they when it's been far too easy and profitable not to. The same goes for peace, I've been an advocate for peace too, but MIC lobbyists vastly outnumber me, and after all, who am I to stop someone from earning a living, even if it means our country engaging in special interests wars?

But now that the US government has racked up a massive amount of debt and private central bankers are raising interest rates on everyone, the days of easy borrowing and irresponsible spending are coming to an end.

I'm not sure what will happen, but it should be pretty clear to everyone at this point that the current levels of borrowing and spending are unsustainable.

It's sounding like legislators will move to use a stopgap measure to "kick the can down the road" and fund the government until December.

Senate mulls going first on stopgap

After Labor Day, lawmakers will have just a few weeks to avert a partial government shutdown when current appropriations lapse on Oct. 1. Meanwhile, the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster aid fund is rapidly running out of cash and expected to defer longer-term rebuilding projects in order to respond to immediate crises on Maui, in Southern California and elsewhere.

At the same time, it’s not clear what Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., will be able to pass in his chamber given his fractious caucus is split over fiscal 2024 spending, policy riders and Ukraine funding that’s part of President Joe Biden’s recent $40 billion request. Washington veterans like ex-House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., are predicting another shutdown is more likely than not.

However, there seems to be some speculation that a shutdown is likely to take place.

Goldman Sachs concluded a shutdown is “more likely than not” later this year

Goldman Sachs: A government shutdown would be ‘manageable’ for the economy. That’s why it’s likely to happen

Already, some conservatives in the House are balking about the length of a short-term budget fix designed to buy time to avert a shutdown. Others have indicated they are comfortable with the idea of a shutdown if it achieves their goal of slashing spending and easing the national debt.

edit on 12-9-2023 by IndieA because: Reworded

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 02:55 PM
link   
SHUT IT DOWN.
edit on CTue, 12 Sep 2023 14:55:33 -0500pm2023-09-12T14:55:33-05:00kpmTuesdaypm2023-09-12T14:55:33-05:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IndieA

I'm always happy to hear when government shuts down.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Maybe we could ask Ukraine and Iran for a loan.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Running or shut down, is there really a difference right now.

The only thing that happens when they shut down or say they are going to shut down is the retired military folks get all stirred up.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The same 'ol thing will happen.

They will debate and collude in back door deals right up till the deadline, then they pass a budget that screws the taxpayer and steers money toward their pet projects.

Happens every time, but MSM milks it for headlines.

50% of government could shut down and nobody would notice.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Good.

Leave it shut down.

438 agencies? Madness

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Does it include the IRS? I’m all for that.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You're totally right to be up in arms about this. I'm in my 30s and I remember posting all about it on social media the first time I saw it on the news. However, the simple fact is: it's not gonna change any more than the 30,000 school shootings per minute or the cops beating black people. The only way our society changes is if things get SO BAD; life gets SO HARD for the average person, that they rise up and revolt. That's the ONLY TIME when enough people will care enough to change things (if it seems like life or death). And a revolution is the only thing that would cause representatives to actually act in line with the people, but that isn't likely to happen. If letting the government go broke and shut down has happened EVERY TIME a funding bill needs passed, for the last decade or so, isn't enough for people to say "enough is enough", I doubt anything will be.
Food's getting pretty expensive, and wages are pretty low, so it's possible, but I wouldn't count on that. Either way, you're not gonna change anything by talking about it. I wish we could, but it's just a waste of energy, and probably not so good for your mental health to dwell on it. I personally recommend a nice medication of your choice and some really good stand-up comedy. It's just a ride.
Cheers.

edit on 12-9-2023 by TheValeyard because: spelling error bc I'm over-caffeinated

edit on 12-9-2023 by TheValeyard because: a bright idea

edit on 12-9-2023 by TheValeyard because: a bright idea

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   
LOL, they will, for about 4 or 5 days, while having a HEATED debate on the Congress floor; one that they should've been having months ago. Why let it get to this point? SIMPLE. Because they can. They know no one's ever gonna hold them accountable. No one's gonna do anything, so there's no point in stressing. USA is bankrupt and no longer exists, MANY TIMES OVER. There is no USA anymore. Just a bunch of corporations and a secret shadow cabal. I'm frankly surprised this thread was even made. Must be a lot of new Gen Z blood on the website. Ah well. Welcome to the truth I guess. LOL.

a reply to: Crackalackin

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is not going to happen.

Anyway, where are the 1.5 trillion tax dollars that democrats got last year.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard
Ouch. Gen z? I said three words. That's a little harsh. I am the truth.
edit on CTue, 12 Sep 2023 16:03:08 -0500pm2023-09-12T16:03:08-05:00kpmTuesdaypm2023-09-12T16:03:08-05:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 04:06 PM
link   
*Yawn* It's just become a scare tactic that absolves politicians from accepting responsibility for passing sh!t to deliberately destroying the country.
It's not like anybody in gov.ernment is there to represent the citizens.

SS,DD.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

then they pass a budget

Nope, they haven't done that in a long while, even though the Constitution calls for it.

I think you're thinking of them passing continuing resolutioyn. They've passed a bunch of those.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   
That wasn't meant as an insult, buddy. Sorry if it read that way. I only meant that a Gen Zer might not yet understand this has been a "normal" thing for quite a while, because they're still kinda young. Look, I'm only trying to say this crap isn't gonna change, so there's really no point in stressing over it. What can WE do?

a reply to: Crackalackin

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Lets go ahead and shut it down.

Appropriate the money back to the taxpayers. It's the least they can do.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yep. You're right. Not an actual budget, just a kick the can down the road sort of budget.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Running or shut down, is there really a difference right now.

The only thing that happens when they shut down or say they are going to shut down is the retired military folks get all stirred up.

Yeah , but the Good Part is No More Funding for Joe's Continued Destruction of America and it's Economy . Take the Money Away , and these Arseoles are Nothing More than Weak Pathetic Liars and Con Men talking to the Mountain......

edit on 12-9-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We don't want OR need them.

They should have been disbanded when we went off the gold standard, that's when they made us all broke.

Shut it down and punish everyone that got us where we are.

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is not going to happen.

Anyway, where are the 1.5 trillion tax dollars that democrats got last year.

$1.5 trillion you say?

Well let's see, $1.5 trillion works out to be about 4.5% of the national debt.

What's the interest rate at these days?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join