It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM creates largest ever superconducting quantum computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Now this is *so* f#cking cool!

Largest quantum computer and it's superconducting too just for sh#ts and giggles.

God bless us. Every now and then we get it right.

bityl.co...

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Yay for science!!!

Very cool news...

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I will guess that this isn't going to go well for us. It would be a good thing to see the tech. progress this way. But, I don't see this being used in a way that is beneficial to the people.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Sounds impressive and nice that's it's U.S. That said, networking large numbers of smaller machines towards a specific goal is more practical I would think, but either way this type of work is important along with the PR value.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kocag

Aaaaand we're off....

Que AI overlords and other things that could kill us.

I'd say this progress is kind of inevitable but be could always throw a rock at it because we don't understand it.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

IBM has said that it hopes to demonstrate a 400 qubit processor next year and to break the 1000 qubit barrier the following year with a chip called Condor. At that point it is expected that a limit on expansion will be reached that requires quantum computers to be created from networks of these processors strung together by fiber optic links.

What exactly can this accomplish?

I mean is there any necessity for that much of a computer, or is it more of a "Mine's bigger than yours." type of thing?

edit on 11/15/21 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Limp applause from me as well. Yeah...it's way cool...but science has fallen victim to the overlords and anything that can be weaponized will be weaponized.

Climate Change my butt, y'all, I reckon it's the weaponization of "science" that will end humanity.

edit on 15-11-2021 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

"nobody will need more than 640kb RAM for their personal computer"

edit on 15-11-2021 by drinkbeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Limp applause from me as well. Yeah...it's way cool...but science has fallen victim to the overlords and anything that can be weaponized will be weaponized.

Climate Change my butt, y'all, I reckon it's the weaponization of "science" that will end humanity.

Quantum computing has been weaponized for a long time.

It's been used and is being used by small select groups in each of the branches of our military.

The DoD has been all over it for years.

And yes, I do know at least some of this to be factual.

So far, we're all still here, but that may be because our use of the technology has been mostly in the lab or research ends of that particular hairball and we don't really know what the hell we're doing yet. But we learn quickly...

Sooner or later we're going to experience what it's like to get the fuzzy end of lollipop.

Hopefully wiser heads will control and prevail...

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If a spotty nosed little sh## can take over your computer from the middle of China with a couple of clicks of his government supplied computer then how are they gonna keep this secure?

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
If a spotty nosed little sh## can take over your computer from the middle of China with a couple of clicks of his government supplied computer then how are they gonna keep this secure?

Not sure.

That's a problem for a different union.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The real deal starts around the 1024 QBits. When this mark is reached, the quantum computer will be able to tap into other dimensions, if we're to believe Gordy Rose, founder of DWave. When properly trained (AI ware), it could become a super intelligent entity with a mind of its own, that could solve cancer and other problems, that would otherwise take years of processing or folding, within seconds, and give dozens of solutions instantaneous.

By the way, this made me reconsider one of God's abilities, namely omnipresence. I used to doubt the possibility, however, a powerful quantum computer with more than 2048 qbits could do exactly that, when given the access to everything networked. let that sink in for a while.

edit on 15-11-2021 by 2Faced because: A lady from Bright, fast as light, left one day, in a relative way, to return the previous night.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
These Lenovos are still crappy

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Break all encryption for the NSA.
Kill crypto currencies.
Do as you're told, you'll own nothing.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

BUT can it play the Crisis remastered collection with setting's on max? haha.

And HEY I thought IBM was a US corporation, what are they doing giving all that computing power to China?.

edit on 15-11-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
A blueprint or a bloop-print for improved reality?

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Congratulations to IBM on their accomplishment.

I have no idea about the future computing power of this machine, but I'm happy for them.

I have a soft spot for the ease of their POS terminals from back in my retail days.

Simple and easy to use.

I respect that.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Ohhh...that brings back memories!!

Spend a good part of the '90's installing these.

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: drinkbeker

Right on!

The one's I used didn't have the screen, I've never seen that model before!

posted on Nov, 15 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

BUT can it play the Crisis remastered collection with setting's on max? haha.

You mean Doom! Can it play Doom? 😁

top topics

<<   2 >>

join