It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED ALERT.. Most Tsunami Warning Buoys OFFLINE or Malfunctioning in Atlantic Ocean

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This ain’t good, 80% of our ability to warn for a tsunami on the U.S. East Coast is not functional. If Cumbre Vieja blows up and La Palma breaks up and collapses, 80 + million people may not get a warning at all…

WASHINGTON — A detection system that was expanded following an Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 230,000 people has experienced significant outages and can no longer be relied on detect the giant waves as they approach the U.S. coastline, a new report finds.

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Three of the five Tsunami Warning Buoys protecting the US east coast are OFFLINE and a fourth is malfunctioning, leaving only ONE buoy in the Atlantic Ocean to warn Americans if a tsunami wave is coming at them from the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands. It is that very island which is currently seeing swarms of earthquakes, leading scientists to believe the volcano there will erupt. If it erupts, and the southwestern flank falls into the ocean causing a tsunami as many expect it will, the US east coast will be BLIND-SIDED because 80% of our tsunami warning buoys are not working.

This article breaks down the status of each buoy—

halturnerradioshow.com...

Doom on?

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
This ain’t good, 80% of our ability to warn for a tsunami on the U.S. East Coast is not functional. If Cumbre Vieja blows up and La Palma breaks up and collapses, 80 + million people may not get a warning at all…

WASHINGTON — A detection system that was expanded following an Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 230,000 people has experienced significant outages and can no longer be relied on detect the giant waves as they approach the U.S. coastline, a new report finds.

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Three of the five Tsunami Warning Buoys protecting the US east coast are OFFLINE and a fourth is malfunctioning, leaving only ONE buoy in the Atlantic Ocean to warn Americans if a tsunami wave is coming at them from the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands. It is that very island which is currently seeing swarms of earthquakes, leading scientists to believe the volcano there will erupt. If it erupts, and the southwestern flank falls into the ocean causing a tsunami as many expect it will, the US east coast will be BLIND-SIDED because 80% of our tsunami warning buoys are not working.

Doom on?

Wouldn't we have to have a very detectable earthquake or volcano eruption to have a tsunami? Not like we would be completely unaware.

we were discussing La Palma and the Canary Islands, If a really bad on hits there won't be time for evacuations anyway

Not to mention it looks like still plenty of them operational

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

edit on 18-9-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Wow. Thanks for catching this. This is, of course, a conspiracy site and thereby not populated with the most trusting people in the world, of which I am definitely staunchly in that camp. When I see something like this it raises my antennae, kind of like how we were running 5,000 similar exercises all the sudden on 9/11. All the sudden we can't detect a massive wave of destruction heading toward the US? That is concerning to me for certain. Coincidentally, we had a small earthquake in LA last night. I've been in a 6.9, so this was nothing, but it was still very strange. My phone suddenly lit up and I was confused because as I looked at it, it wasn't a call or text, just came to life. About a second after that my bed, which I was sitting on typing on ATS actually, began to shake. Very confusing moment. The phone, by the way, was the earthquake alert system. I had an entire second to prepare...lol.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Doom on?

Wouldn't we have to have a very detectable earthquake or volcano eruption to have a tsunami? Not like we would be completely unaware.

we were discussing La Palma and the Canary Islands, If a really bad on hits there won't be time for evacuations anyway

Not necessarily. The tsunami that hit Indonesia didn't seem to raise any flags until it hit.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How... convenient.

Second line.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Doom on?

Not necessarily. The tsunami that hit Indonesia didn't seem to raise any flags until it hit.

Yea but the Atlantic still has plenty of operational buoys in the Atlantic a quick look at the link shows there are still plenty of operational ones. IIRC Indonesia doesn't have as an extensive buoy system if they have one at all.

Indonesia's tsunami early warning system hasn't worked since 2012, official says

abcnews.go.com...

"I have ordered a check of all the [tsunami detection] equipment and the replacement of broken ones. I think in the new budget year of 2019, early January, I will order the replacement of broken equipment or old ones, which can no longer be used," Widodo said, according to the presidential press media and information bureau.

This weekend's tsunami was the second deadly one to hit the island nation in 2018. The earlier one, which struck in late September, killed more than 2,500 people, the Associated Press reports.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMirrorSelf

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Doom on?

True, but I don’t think Indonesia had much of a buoy warning system. In fact, I think the system we have now (however broken) was built in response to that tsunami.

I read on one of the links above that each buoy costs about $250,000 initially and then $50,000 annually to maintain. Now they are either broken or drifting free, wow.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

www.mcclatchydc.com...

Doom on?

Not to mention it looks like still plenty of them operational

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

I think most of those buoys on that link are for meteorological purposes, not for measuring waves or potential tsunamis.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So many buoys have been offline for so long now it’s crazy.
Not just the buoys that measure the water column to let us know if a Tsunami is rolling in but the weather and sea state condition buoys as well.
If anyone would like to view active buoy reports in real time here is the NOAA link to the National Data Buoy website.

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

Play with it, I think you may enjoy it and you will learn much!

Thank You for this OP!

Cheers......😎

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: words

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It’s a mix. Many buoys are free drifting in open sea.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm surprised there are only five buoys for this purpose.

Great thread. Fresh topic. 👍🏻

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Looks like micromanagement fails again 😃

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Considering all the nuclear reactors on the east coast...
Maybe you should evacuate now, just in case. Run fast. Run far!

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

if this wave does hit..
the east coast will become the forbidden zone.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf

As it has happened, and will happen again.

Matthew 24:39
And they were oblivious, until the flood came and swept them all away. So will it be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:40 Two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.

Matthew 24:41
Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left.…

Berean Study Bible
biblehub.com...

It is always the ones that come without warning that we are goober smacked by, yet we all know that one day......

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

the US east coast will be BLIND-SIDED because 80% of our tsunami warning buoys are not working.

Wouldn't the remaining 20% give you some kind of a warning?

If I have 5 clocks in my house, and 3 don't work. I could still tell you what time it is.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We survived without them before, we will survive without them now. I am sure it would be better to have them, but they also have satelites up there now that monitor that kind of stuff too, as a backup in case the bouys malfunction.

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   

A tsunami warning system was first developed for Hawaii in the 1920’s. The extensive and advanced system we have today has been around since the 1940’s.

So no the warning system was not built in response to the India tsunami. The thing about tsunami’s is they move extremely fast. By the time the warning goes off, just enough time to sound sirens. Really no time to escape

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Do you actually think 1/4 of the US population can be moved hundreds of miles in 8 hours? Not likely.

Get a drink, have a smoke or sit in your car in a traffic jam, it's up to you, then listen to the roar of the over 100 foot wave recede than approach. The wave might not make it over several hundred miles inland depending on the height of the land.

edit on 9 18 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A mountain will slide into the ocean if that earthquake hits the Canary Islands in the right way and sets off the volcano there. I seen a documentary on it something like 100ft tsunami will hit United States.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join