It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Message from The Qur'an

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

TheWrightWing

AfterInfinity

Interesting quandary, isn't it? Which is more lauded, belief in Jesus' divinity, or adhering to his philosophies? Which is placed higher on the scale of Christian practices? Which leads me to ask another question: did divinity lead to philosophy, or philosophy to divinity?

The only "Christian Practice" there is, is respecting and observing the 10 commandments, recognising the Christ as the Messiah.

It's really quite simple. His 'philosophies' only reinforce the concepts found in the 10C.

There is speculation that the 10 commandments aren't really Christian.

sites.google.com... -egyptian-book-of-the-dead

Please note that I provide this material as a source of comprehension.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

No kidding.

I wonder if it is perhaps because the 10 Commandments pre-date Christianity?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

TheWrightWing

AfterInfinity

No kidding.

Then why are the 10 commandments considered a Christian practice?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

ATS Thread - 10 Commandments Doctrine of Men
The 10 Commandments were around for a LONG TIME before Moses came up with them.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

FlyersFan

No. I don't know how you jumped to that. I just said that the vast majority of Christians believe it to be. So if you find a Muslim who worships Jesus as God, then you'll find a Muslim who worships the same God that the vast majority of Christians worship. But if the Muslim worships Jesus as God ... then I'd think that Muslim isn't really Muslim anyways.

I "jumped" to that because your argument is that Muslims worship a different God because they don't worship Jesus as God. The logical conclusion to that thought is that "Christians" who don't worship Jesus as God must also be worshiping a different God. Then they wouldn't really be "Christians", by that criteria, would they?

Jews also do not worship Jesus as God - yet Jesus claimed the God they DO worship as his own God. Do you have an argument for why the God the Jews worship (and the God who Jesus held as his own God) is not the same one as the God the Muslims worship?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

wildtimes
I thought that was the main event - that Christians have to believe Jesus was "God" incarnate.

Most Christians believe it. And Most Christians say you must believe it to be a Christian.
However, the definition of "Christian' does not say it.
For example ... the LDS don't believe it and therefore Catholics say the LDS aren't Christian.
But the Catholics don't have a right to say who is and who isn't. So them saying the LDS
aren't Christian is rather meaningless. (Kinda like someone else we know ....
)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

FlyersFan

AfterInfinity

ATS Thread - 10 Commandments Doctrine of Men
The 10 Commandments were around for a LONG TIME before Moses came up with them.

Which means that following the ten commandments doesn't make you Christian because the ten commandments aren't actually Christian. Which is the point I was trying to make. Hell, even believing in Jesus' divinity shouldn't qualify because the Jesus story itself is unoriginal and taken from several other cultural myths, many of which were demonized for their pagan nature...or maybe to bury the evidence?
edit on 20-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Sk8ergrl
reply to post by SisyphusRide

You do realise that killing a person is the worst sin of all in Gods eyes anyway

Since when do you get to rank sins by severity on behalf of God?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

TheWrightWing

AfterInfinity

No kidding.

Then why are the 10 commandments considered a Christian practice?

Because Christians claim to adhere to the teachings of Jesus, and the ten commandments are among those teachings. Now to be fair, he DID combine and pare them down to a more chewable size, but they are nevertheless the basis for his "two commandments", which embody all of the ten. Think of it as the Reader's Digest Condensed version.

In the matter of the Ten Commandments originating in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, I've compared them, as well as the points that others claim are congruencies, and haven't found sufficient basis to validate that theory. That doesn't mean that they necessarily have to be from God, only that they didn't come out of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and those seeking to discredit them will have to look farther afield and cast a wider net.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chiram

My husband has a bit easier time understanding your theories than I do, so I am sorry for that. But I will try to read those things and see if I cannot decipher exactly what it is your trying to say.

So far I am a bit lost.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

God is within me and I say that killing people is wrong. So your saying that killing another person is not wrong or evil?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Sk8ergrl

God is within me and I say that killing people is wrong. So your saying that killing another person is not wrong or evil?

I can say that precisely, with feeling and conviction.

Some people just plain need killin'.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

OpinionatedB: My husband has a bit easier time understanding your theories than I do, so I am sorry for that. But I will try to read those things and see if I cannot decipher exactly what it is your trying to say. So far I am a bit lost.

Well don’t worry about it. I had a hard time with those two verses on Abraham that you originally quoted until I looked it up in John Davidson’s book. I was subjected to Religion when I was younger, but I don’t follow it. I never really read the bible, simply because it’s allegorical and symbolic. I’m more into mysticism myself which contains fragments of all Religions within it. I do tend to upset people sometimes with my views, simply because they do not know where I am coming from, so my apologies.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chiram

No problem. Everyone is different, its what makes the world interesting.
edit on 21-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

OpinionatedB: I understand the verses in the bible, that’s easy.

Let’s say I understand the general essence of the bible, but for me it has no meaning.

The Bible has been deciphered in the book that I linked to. This one book alone is a treasure and I’m confidant you will find lots of answers in it that you couldn’t figure out in a regular bible, like I did.

OpinionatedB: What I am not getting is how exactly you are getting where you are from words which are opposing to your own.

I will be happy to explain if you point me to the parts you don’t understand, anyway the offers there….

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chiram

My husband explained what you were saying so I ammended what I said to fit what he explained that you were trying to say in the other post.

Sorry...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

edit on 21-12-2013 by chiram because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

It is of my opinion that you need to see someone about your negativity and thinking that taking another one's life is acceptable I wish you the best.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

I can't argue with that, now can I?

Walk a little while in my shoes, Then tell me what you've seen of evil people, and what you think ought to be done about it when you experience it.

There IS evil in this world, and not all monsters hide in your closet.

One thing is certain - if you end them, they won't be doing that to anyone else.

Ever again.

Murder is wrong, killing is not. Learn the difference, and you will understand.

edit on 2013/12/21 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

nenothtu
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

I can't argue with that, now can I?

Walk a little while in my shoes, Then tell me what you've seen of evil people, and what you think ought to be done about it when you experience it.

There IS evil in this world, and not all monsters hide in your closet.

One thing is certain - if you end them, they won't be doing that to anyone else.

Ever again.

Murder is wrong, killing is not. Learn the difference, and you will understand.

edit on 2013/12/21 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry but killing someone is murder so you made no sense. Yes I agree that this earth does have evil roaming around but killing is not the answer. They will be judged and karma will hit them twice as hard. Yes I know that its hard to feel love and think positive in these times but that's what gets me by to think positive. I wish everyone the very best.
edit on 21/12/2013 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join