It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Comet ISON Changes Course Twice!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I see that this thread has been assigned as a hoax. So be it. I had only scanned the opening thread before posting my response and I didn't directly reply to the supposed true data. However, what the thread was about, the changing of the comet's orbit was not a pure invention by the OP in that regard. Historically, comets have not behaved as they have been expected given multiple early determinations of their motions as they approach the sun.

As I mentioned, the term "non-gravitational effects" is repeatedly used in historical accounts of the motions of the most prominent comets but with little basis in genuine, specific fact. Of course, the average internet user today does not have access to those accounts from the old books. All the modern "researcher" can find is explanations from modern conventional science that protects itself by ignoring what is really happen with those bodies.

For that reason, comets should be seen as the UFOs of outer space. Unfortunately for the secretkeepers they are visible and cannot be denied as are typical UFO reports.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

woogleuk
National Report is a fake news site.....

Just saying.

As us English would put it, it's a load of old bollocks.

ISON will not hit Earth.

DISCLAIMER: National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental . The views expressed by writers on this site are theirs alone and are not reflective of the fine journalistic and editorial integrity of National Report. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help (and you may be if you are on this page), please consult a professional. National Report is intended for a mature audience and not for children under the age of 18.

This 'National report' site must feel very insecure having to change disclaimers from time to time, this is the current one,

"*DISCLAIMER: The National Report is an online portal for "citizen journalists". The views expressed by writers on this site are theirs alone and are not reflective of the fine journalistic and editorial integrity of National Report. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18."

Also they must be really, really bad if the likes of 'The Examiner' complains about them.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Kryyptyk

Um...if a celestial object makes course corrections, and you can eliminate external gravitational forces as a factor...that indicates intelligence.

Just sayin'.

Incorrect. Comet ejecta can alter the path of the body.

We can start talking about ET when/if some of these critters pop in for some tea and conversation. Note I'm not saying said critters don't exist, but we live in an awfully big universe. No doubt other civilizations exist but that does not mean they have come to this backwater planet.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Aliensun
reply to post by cheesy

I see that this thread has been assigned as a hoax.

Because it IS a hoax. Here's the ephemeris I generated over a month ago for my usual observing site, using just the astrometric data up to, but not including, September or later:
dropcanvas.com...
Now I wasn't at my usual observing site when I was at Chiefland this weekend, but it's still the same state so topocentric parallax will be too small to matter at this distance.

I took this quick image of ISON on Sunday morning from about 09:06~09:17 universal time.
nova.astrometry.net...
It's just a quick shot taken so that I could prove its location later, so the center of the streak formed by the nucleus corresponds to its position at about 9:12 UT. That's November 3.383 in fractional day format, right between these two entries in my ephemeris which I generated over a month ago at half hour intervals, using just the data up to September, but not including any data from September or later:
2013 11 03.374290 11 25 00.507 +04 42 49.91
2013 11 03.395123 11 25 07.483 +04 41 54.74
The coordinates of ISON should therefore be between those two sets of coordinates, and indeed they are. I cropped the above image with ISON centered in the image, so the coordinates of the center of the image therefore correspond to ISON's coordinates. As you can see at the above link, the coordinates determined by astrometry are:
Center (RA, hms): 11h 25m 03.719s
Center (Dec, dms): +04° 42' 35.824"
Right between the two sets of coordinates above, ISON is on-course and that course has not changed.

However, what the thread was about, the changing of the comet's orbit was not a pure invention by the OP in that regard. Historically, comets have not behaved as they have been expected given multiple early determinations of their motions as they approach the sun.

As I mentioned, the term "non-gravitational effects" is repeatedly used in historical accounts of the motions of the most prominent comets but with little basis in genuine, specific fact. Of course, the average internet user today does not have access to those accounts from the old books.

Yes, they do. It's called a "library." There's not some grand conspiracy to keep this information from the "average internet user." The internet does not entirely replace the function of a library, particularly a university library. You can visit public university libraries for free and do all the research you want there. You may need a membership to check books out, but you don't need it for simply doing research and making scans and photocopies in the library itself. Non-gravitational forces of comets due to outgassing do have basis in "genuine, specific fact," but are minor, especially in the case of a long period comet like ISON. Non-gravitational effects are minor, especially over short time scales. They are very important in determining the long-term orbits of periodic comets that constantly orbit within the solar system and are observed over hundreds of years, but they are less important to long-period comets where the effects weren't even detected until the late 1960's and 70's with high precision astrometry. Even then, because of how short the period is when the comet will actually be observable, the non-gravitational effects of outgassing are of academic interest more than anything else; they can make the difference in the long-term evolution of the comet's orbit and determine whether it will ultimately be a hyperbolic comet or not.

"Modern astrometric positions, particularly those that are referenced to Hipparcos-based star catalogs and where the brightest pixel is employed as the true position of the cometary nucleus, are usually accurate to the subarcsecond level."

www.lpi.usra.edu...

In other words, more than accurate enough even for most telescopic astrometry.

"Yet multiple apparition orbital solutions for active short-period comets cannot often provide a root mean square (rms) residual (observed minus computed observational position) that is subarcsecond."

www.lpi.usra.edu...

In other words, where it matters is with short-period comets for which astrometry and ephemeris must cover multiple orbits of the comet, not long period comets like ISON.

All the modern "researcher" can find is explanations from modern conventional science that protects itself by ignoring what is really happen with those bodies.

Modern science does no such thing.
www.lpi.usra.edu...
Nor are you limited to "explanations from modern science," you can look back at the old books on the subject quite easily by visiting this mysterious "library" thing.

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Tsu322
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Gulible has nothing to do with it. Cheesy does not have English as a first language so it would be hard to see the Satire.

I have issues with American humour because I am British and we have a different style of humour and it is easy to get confused.

Brand or Python because they are wayyyyyyy different.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fenson76

Definitely Python. And BlackAdder, Not The Nine O'Clock News, Secret Policemans Ball...

However I am partial to a bit of Rich Hall and George Carling from across the pond.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join