It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You Might Hate Obamacare, But It's Saved These People's Lives "

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by ThichHeaded

The IRS has no enforcement authority. The fines likely will be unenforced, I hear.

You "hear"?

Haven't dealt with the IRS much, have you?

If they have "no enforcement authority" on what the SCOTUS has deemed to be a "tax", then why are they buying up guns and ammo?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

hillbilly4rent
How has obamacare saved anyones lives in the last few days its been inacted. Or did the government get into the act of laying hands, blood letting and walking on water.

I'm not obamacare

There's a sucker born every minute

"I am Obamacare" = sucker

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

actually, for 2014, the fine is 1% of your income, or $95...whichever is more.

and by 2016, it's 2.5% of your income, or $695...whichever is more.

the fine gets progressively higher, the longer you remain uninsured.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Daedalus because: spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by nenothtu

Good for you, I don’t begrudge your choice.

My point in the insurance rap is that we already are required to do certain things by the government.

And in certain situations, where our actions may affect others, rightfully so... as in the car insurance allusion.

Does that give government, whether local, state or national, the justification and authority to dictate to people that said people need insurance to protect themselves?

Since it's been brought up, my car insurance company offers 'uninsured motor vehicle' and 'uninsured driver' insurance, in order to cover me and the vehicle if I'm in an accident which is not my fault and the other driver is uninsured. Insurance is required here though, so why the need for that coverage? Everyone driving has insurance, right? ... it's the law, right?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Sure I love the IRS.

I loved it when I went to get some food money out of my atm card and realized I was locked out of my own account.
The IRS put an arm on my account. I loved that, I saluted and sang the star spangle banner.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Let me make this perfectly clear. I have no issue in the least with any one who doesn’t want to get health insurance.

I am not a government guy, believe me. In my day I deliberately didn’t go sign up for the draft, even though I WAS REQUIRED BY LAW TO DO SO, because it was no way in the world I would go to Vietnam and get killed or kill so some corporate pig could have a bigger golf course.

Mt limited support for this ACA is ONLY because it helps poor people get insurance, that’s it, I would have never done this If I were president, I would have had single payer like Canada.

Obama and the GOP are corporate flunkies; I believe that Obama and the Dems are
(Lesser of two evils) only marginally better than the crazy anti-human super corporate GOP, Koch brothers slaves.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Willtell

Sure I love the IRS.

I loved it when I went to get some food money out of my atm card and realized I was locked out of my own account.
The IRS put an arm on my account. I loved that, I saluted and sang the star spangle banner.

Then why on Earth would YOU, of all people, make the ridiculous claim that the IRS "has no enforcement authority"?

That just ain't adding up.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

you forgot to mention that the fee increases every year you are non-compliant.

so it's not just a 95 dollar fine every year....

i'd much rather they just got rid of this whole ridiculous program, and let us handle our own affairs, instead of trying to nanny-state us into bankruptcy..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Willtell

Mt limited support for this ACA is ONLY because it helps poor people get insurance, that’s it, I would have never done this If I were president, I would have had single payer like Canada.

How on Earth is it "helping poor people get insurance" when premiums AND deductibles are doubling before coverage even takes effect?

a 15k deductible IS a surgery - the insurance corps are getting money for nothing and their kicks for free under this plan.

I think you've been had.

BTW, "the lesser of two evils" is STILL evil.

You are, by your own admission here, supporting evil.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I heard that too, on the news, so I looked it up. Here's what I got.

However, the ACA prohibits many of the traditional methods the IRS uses in tax enforcement. The IRS cannot initiate civil or criminal penalties, file liens or levy (garnish) a taxpayer's bank accounts or wages or otherwise seize property to satisfy any unpaid ACA tax. Also, no interest can accrue on these tax penalties. The only practical way for the IRS to collect on penalties is to capture or withhold tax refunds from year to year until satisfied. So, in summary, you can't go to jail for failure to comply, but you could lose your refund.
www.taxhelpok.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I was referring to the limited power of the IRS in comparison to what they usually could do.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The IRS cannot initiate civil or criminal penalties, file liens or levy (garnish) a taxpayer's bank accounts or wages or otherwise seize property to satisfy any unpaid ACA tax. Also, no interest can accrue on these tax penalties. The only practical way for the IRS to collect on penalties is to capture or withhold tax refunds from year to year until satisfied. So, in summary, you can't go to jail for failure to comply, but you could lose your refund. The IRS will also oversee many tax breaks and incentives to allow taxpayers to afford health insurance and penalize those not in compliance. Future employment of thousands more IRS agents and more changes to the already complex tax code are anticipated

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

OK. Glad you cleared that up. So if I adjust my withholding such that I have to pay tax in at the end of every year, then I can simply skip sending the ACA tax portion of the taxes, and they have no teeth.

Good to know.

I STILL plan on taking it to court as soon as I have legal standing to do so under the SCOTUS ruling.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

kaylaluv

MsAphrodite

It's NOT a fine. It's a tax. Plain and simple, the Supreme Court said so. It's a $95 tax to subsidize someone else's healthcare. The person paying the tax gets nothing in return, except of course a mandate to buy insurance or pay a tax for refusing to do so.

tax [taks] Show IPA
noun
a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.
edit on 6-10-2013 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

There is such a thing as a penalty tax.

Definition

Local or federal punitive tax applied to deter non-compliance, such as underpayment of income tax or disregard of the rules governing a business activity.

Read more: www.investorwords.com...

which is absolutely ridiculous..

we don't get jobs so we can subsidize every lunatic idea the government comes up with...we are not their personal piggy banks....

we get jobs to buy things we need and want, like food, clothing, shelter, transportation, electricity, running water, sanitation services, other miscellaneous municipal services, medical treatment, and entertainment....

we should not be made to pay a tax/fine for deciding we don't want to buy a specific product from specifically approved vendors...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by beezzer

You also pay for the drones that kill children. Does that bother you?

We know you don't give a dam about starving children in America or that many of them die because they have no health insurance, but I wonder how you feel that your precious tax money is going to MURDER!
DO YOU RANT AND RAVE ABOUT THAT?
DO YOU LOOSE ANY SLEEP OVER THAT?
edit on 6-10-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

that is fantasic use of the "appeal to emotion" logical fallacy..

i'm sure our tax dollars being used to kill children overseas bothers quite a few people...

what does starvation have to do with health insurance? it seems to me that one has nothing to do with the other, and you're just trying to lump together every negative trope you can, in order to appear correct. you are not.

no health insurance does not mean no treatment. i went for years with no insurance (and i still don't have any), and i'm not dead, so explain to me how your assertion is correct..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by ThichHeaded

IS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER OBLIGATED TO PROOVE THE VERACITY OF ALL THE STATEMENTS THAT APPEAR ON ANY SITE THEY LINK TO?

NO!

then perhaps you should have said in your opening post "according to this site, such and such is true", instead of stating it as absolute fact, and blindly defending it tooth and nail, in an attempt to avoid looking foolish..

when you go all in, backing statements of dubious veracity, you should expect people to call you on it..

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Onslaught2996
reply to post by AboveBoard

Great story but the right wing member will call you a plant, shill or whatever they can come up with.

Truth and facts are not welcome in a good old Obama or his health care plan bashing thread.

Most certainly not. Her story is very tragic. To have cancer at such a young age then to have to wait to have kids until your insurance catches up. That's insanity. But she got the double whammy with 2 children having severe medical issues. I can't imagine how hard that must be to go through.

All I know is that ACA is NOT the answer. Medicare shouldn't have such long waits for help and the entire medical industry needs to be regulated to control costs. The government has allowed these runaway costs because corporate money keeps sending them back to Washington. How is Obamacare going to fix that?

The issues are complex to be sure but putting the government in charge of healthcare is a surefire way to increase costs even more. One more middleman that has to be paid (or else!). Conservative does not mean uncompassionate regardless of what the Democratic party would like you to believe.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

and the entire medical industry needs to be regulated to control costs

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner. That is what I have been thinking to myself as well.

Whether we have a private system, Obamacare, or full national coverage, NOTHING will get fixed as long as hospitals charge $300 for a bandaid and $3 million for transplants. (Or whatever).

We need tort reform, cost control, etc. I guess then we would debate to death the pros vs. cons of government interference of product pricing. lol

We are so divided as a nation.

link   

good information?

even though the youtube vid was misleading, and at least one of his links was pure satire?

yeah, that's real good information...

link   
Too bad good stories are put down as propaganda cause it dosent fit your mindset.

I truly hope that americans get the healthcare they deserve, im serious, i like to tell americans how much better canada is, but half the world wouldent have the benefits we do have if USA wasent the top dog.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Onslaught2996
reply to post by solomons path

15 Myths The Media Should Ignore During Obamacare Implementation

Myth #2: Premium Prices Will Increase Due To Health Care Law

media matters?

hahahahahaha, they're nothing but a propaganda outfit..

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join