It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Physical Reality really be a Dream?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Do you consider yourself a Human Being with spiritual experience or a Spiritual Being with human experience?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Nomad451
Do you consider yourself a Human Being with spiritual experience or a Spiritual Being with human experience?

I think everything we experience is spiritual in some way, but I know my body is just an interface to this reality. Who I am, is the occupant of that ride and I know that I have existed well before this lifetime. Having run a few lifetimes all I can say is I am a spiritual being having many human experiences plus more.

Doesn't mean this ride is one hell of a mind-f--- .. that it is. That it is.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Well I saw it as in a craft, or a huge base somewhere in space, like a station. There were technicians around. And it seemed some here come from there, as if they are just projecting in. I saw this before the movie avatar but that was interesting, except what I felt was that they were still in their forms as well, so more of a projection of self, or a portion of themselves.

What I experienced at another time more directly, was HS, and being asked, "where did I think I was, do you think you ever leave home?" And then seeing a series of curtains, mostly semi sheer, through which could make out family surrounding me, wasn't alone, nor was I really somewhere else, this was more of a simulation of some kind.

Then big red curtains pulled back akin to the movie theater when I was a child, and the movie of our lives was playing, and got kind of embarassed, realizing, we have to do our best to be hero's of this movie. Its like a DVD that exists infinitely.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

So how old was I when this dream actually started? Am I still a kid? Could it be an interactive computer program with a very young child? I don't remember much before I was three, could I actually be three in the real world undergoing a very rapid education system of a future race? How about you, is this interactive with other real beings?

Maybe we are actually just energy beings that are daydreaming this reality.

Too many possibilities to make a judgement on reality.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Unity_99

Well I saw it as in a craft, or a huge base somewhere in space, like a station. There were technicians around. And it seemed some here come from there, as if they are just projecting in. I saw this before the movie avatar but that was interesting, except what I felt was that they were still in their forms as well, so more of a projection of self, or a portion of themselves.

What I experienced at another time more directly, was HS, and being asked, "where did I think I was, do you think you ever leave home?" And then seeing a series of curtains, mostly semi sheer, through which could make out family surrounding me, wasn't alone, nor was I really somewhere else, this was more of a simulation of some kind.

Then big red curtains pulled back akin to the movie theater when I was a child, and the movie of our lives was playing, and got kind of embarassed, realizing, we have to do our best to be hero's of this movie. Its like a DVD that exists infinitely.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

That is a really interesting way for that type of information to present itself. I think we are like open-books meaning anyone with the ability can observe our lifetimes from that level. Not that they always do but it's certainly there encoded into the cosmic database so to speak.

We are here to do more than just feed our negative ego, I do believe strongly in the concept that we are here to become more loving, compassionate and caring beings. Something I still haven't mastered but am certainly on my way too.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

rickymouse

So how old was I when this dream actually started? Am I still a kid? Could it be an interactive computer program with a very young child? I don't remember much before I was three, could I actually be three in the real world undergoing a very rapid education system of a future race? How about you, is this interactive with other real beings?

Maybe we are actually just energy beings that are daydreaming this reality.

Too many possibilities to make a judgement on reality.

I think the dream is eternal, like some never-ending story which we are all co-writers from our unique perspectives.

From my own eyes, what I observed of Earth is that it's like an energy system when we first observe it. It's encoded in such a way that past/present/future all exists within a probability database. When we arrive at the "Entry Station" which is where we project our awareness into the machine. We opt-in on the rule that implicitly states we must forget that we are projecting in from "there" in the first place.

This is largely due to the fact that having our former awareness and knowledge is not compatible with having a very genuine experience. We get in, have a ride. Come out however layered in that personality for that lifetime. It goes off, gets us into another lifetime, we get another layer. If we don't stop, it just sucks us in and layer after layer envelopes us as we ride out many lifetimes until we start to gain the perspective that we are just an awareness involved in the experience of being human.

That is sort of where I think I am in this lifetime as I dragged in lots of pre-life memory as a child. It certainly served as a reference point to help me start to navigate this non-physical side of who and what I was. Many out-of-body experiences and lucid dreams later I have been able to see the Entry Station again, watch beings pick their lifetime and attributes for the experience and lock in.

It's quite something when you really get to see this system from that perspective and retain that memory when you wake up. It really hints that Earth is some kind of immense cosmic role-playing game where we roll a character and go in fully immersed in that character.

The dreaming aspect always comes back to the fact thought, language is the tool by which the system is programmed hence why all reality we experience should default back to some type of dream or language expressed across our larger consciousness system.

It's also in this view that I observed us starting out like dim grey energy beings that evolve into brilliant beings of light, when we graduate or grow up however we look at that process.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I tend to think it's like a dream. Whatever situation I'm in I just remind myself that ultimate God controls this part of my reality, and altimately allows whatever to happen. That's just one reason I want to align myself with the creator as much as possible since he controls the ultiatme outcome of everything.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I second this notion.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

spartacus699
I tend to think it's like a dream. Whatever situation I'm in I just remind myself that ultimate God controls this part of my reality, and altimately allows whatever to happen. That's just one reason I want to align myself with the creator as much as possible since he controls the ultiatme outcome of everything.

In a way, what I am describing is that we exist in the mind of God and what God dreams becomes our reality. I do believe we are in an awareness driven reality-system. One of the thought experiments that I used was the idea of God being all that existed; well if you existed in a state of absolutism where nothing else could exist outside of you. What could you use to create?

Thought? Dreams? There is little room for anything else; thus a universal mind thinking to itself in eternal contemplation has had a long time to master the art of dreaming and thinking. I think we are all by-products of this eternal dreaming mind. Cannot say if true or not, but a useful thought experiment that I mused about.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Would You agree that rather than being humans having a "Spiritual Event" that We are Spirits having a human event?

namaste

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

YouAreDreaming

abeverage

YouAreDreaming

The Cusp
It really is though. Once you master the art of dream control, you see how it's applicable to waking life.

I agree, and we need to tackle this problem of dream illiteracy as to promote better dreamers within our society. Besides, it's fun and adventurous to lucid dream and explore this other reality of which we are also a part of.

As I have gotten older my dreams have been less lucid. I used to be able to control many aspects of the dream now I am lucky if I remember them...

This is normal, dreams frequency and age studies exist which validate that we do lose control and awareness of our dreams as we mature. I think it's also a product of the fact our society places absolutely no value on dreaming thus it's treated like garbage and disdain by most people. Where as, they throw the baby out with the bathwater I see it's intrinsic value and realize it's very valuable to each of us in ways we can only realize by actually following through and becoming more dream literate.

Once there, it opens many doors. It's wonderful.

I analyze my dreams, but what are ways to become dream literate? I do remember them just not like I used to but I think has more to do with a hateful job and depression then aging in my case lol

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I consider the world with the most limitation to be the dream. Limitations can only come from a place of higher potentials. Can you fly in this place using only what you were born with? Can you fly in the other place using only what you were born with?

Time is the container of our reality and it does have an outside. We therefore live in this realm confined to the 4th dimension. In the "other" state these barriers don't apply yet you are there.

The biggest question of all is WHO places items in the less limited realm that you've never seen before in this one?
If the dreams are from you, then why are they ever a surprise? How can one paint a carefully crafted image while never having seen it?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Yes it could be I reckon, but its the biggest dream show in town, for now anyway.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

If reality is a dream...I better start honing my lucid dreaming skills...who knows maybe one day I'll be able to fly like I do when I'm in a lucid dream state.

I think dreams are a great metaphor for life in some ways...I'm not sure they are the same thing though. I mean you kinda have to have a non-dreaming state of consciousness from which to even understand the concept of a dream in the first place...no?
edit on 2-10-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

In answer to your question: I don't believe there is any completely accurate way to test whether this is all a dream. It could be such a convincing one that there is no way to tell.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

abeverageI analyze my dreams, but what are ways to become dream literate? I do remember them just not like I used to but I think has more to do with a hateful job and depression then aging in my case lol

Based on dream research, we have an average of 6 dreams during sleep of which most people don't remember any. There are neurological factors which inhibit dream memory, one of the most scientific evident problems is in the fact that dreams happen in the frontal lobes within our short-term memory. During sleep, information flows out of, but not into the hippocampus which is our long-term memory.

Which means, we need to wake up with this consciousness stream taking place in our short-term memory and transfer that data over to long-term storage either by writing it down, or reviewing what we dream.

The act of actively working remembering dreams is much like any exercise we do, we get better if we keep disciplined and work at it regularly but if we slack, the memory muscle so to speak enters atrophy.

We need to transfer working memory which happens in the short-term memory bank of the brain into something where like a journal or long-term memory through regular practice and writing in dream journals as one excersise we can use.

Dream illiteracy is more than just overcoming sleep-induced amnesia; it is also related to the quality of the dream content and how aware and perceptive we are in the dream. I call this MAP which stands for memory, awareness and perception as a simple definition of these three fundamental cognitive functions having impact on the quality of our dream experience as a whole.

The more aware we are, the more lucid and conscious we are in the dream. Lucid dreaming then becomes a goal. Perception allows for greater sensory experiences that can include touch, smell and taste as part of the dream content. If we are not being very perceptive then we might have very dim, faint dreams. The more perceptive we are the more real and clear the dream content becomes.

Finally the issue of overcoming dream symbolism and actually having literal meaning in the content does surface where we don't need to really interpret the symbols rather have a very clear insight as to the message (if any) that the dream presents.

It helps to become interested, passionate and happy with the act of dreaming. It's a participation required thing we do during sleep. The more we participate the better it becomes.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Atlantican
I consider the world with the most limitation to be the dream. Limitations can only come from a place of higher potentials. Can you fly in this place using only what you were born with? Can you fly in the other place using only what you were born with?

What makes our waking world dream different is that it has a very well-defined rule-set. What I mean by this is everything we do here works in unison with a larger information system that put's it all together so that we have chronological order of events and that the rules which gives this world it's context is enforced.

We don't fly here because the rule-set has gravity as part of it's physics engine. In other dreams where that is not enforced, we fly freely and effortlessly unless we drag in and impose a rule stating we cannot fly. That is often linked to our beliefs.

Atlantican
Time is the container of our reality and it does have an outside. We therefore live in this realm confined to the 4th dimension. In the "other" state these barriers don't apply yet you are there.

The biggest question of all is WHO places items in the less limited realm that you've never seen before in this one?

I believe the WHO is all of us, in a unified field of consciousness similar to Carl Jung's collective unconscious. It's a larger system so we all interact with each-other within the definitions that the larger system places on us as constraints.

Atlantican
If the dreams are from you, then why are they ever a surprise? How can one paint a carefully crafted image while never having seen it?

This is also complicated due to the fact that dreams present a language which is communicated from and to different aspects of our compartmentalize consciousness. The little "I" speaking to the larger "I" so to speak. We use non-verbal communication as dreams to communicate and express ourselves.

Robert A. Monroe called communication at this level amongst other intelligent beings he encountered which he termed, INSPEC as ROTE. When they sent him an information package as ROTE it played out as a dream transferring their experiences in a way where he took on their point-of-view within the experience that the ROTE defined in a 3d virtual dream context.

This language scales into the larger system with greater definition and constraints. We are running a ROTE right now which defines our physical reality. It's all just thought and communication when and if we start to break down the mechanics of what is really going on.

This is why understanding the role thought has to describe and define higher-order linguistics found in non-verbal communication is valuable. And understanding how we render this information in our Cartesian Theater view-screen is another fundamental part of the bigger package of what we are.

When we get past the me/you/they into the unified field we find everything connected, relative to this "whole" of which we are all parts of. Reality then is distributed into larger and lesser sub-sets from the big dream of a universal unified field of awareness, to the little dreams we have at sleep as the individualized "bit" in a quantized information system.

I try to simplify it by looking at fundamental aspects of the system; the datastream, the computer that processes the information and the screen that it renders on. What is left is the thought that programs the datastream we interact with.

This is all fitting and expected "if" reality is derived from a consciousness awareness system and is simply "information" rather than if it really did emerge as matter in a big bang.

Everything that I have experienced supports the idea that we do indeed exist in a reality that is derived from a larger consciousness system where thought describes what context reality is be that physical or a dream. Any reality ties into that model; thus any reality we find ourselves in regardless of it's content is based on these simple fundamentals and principles.

The idea that the Universe is a dream is an ancient belief. After writing this post, I started looking for other writers and thinkers that support the idea that we do exist in a dream not a physical world.

This abstract which is really well written by Timothy Conway goes into great detail on all the ancient beliefs regarding this idea.

This Is All A Dream
Copyright © 1983/2006 by Timothy Conway
Link: www.enlightened-spirituality.org...

Dr. Fred Allan Wolf whom I have spoken with via e-mail completely supports this idea and has written an entire book on the topic called, "The Dreaming Universe"
Here is a QA on the book from his website: www.fredalanwolf.com...&A.pdf

Dr. Alberto Volido who wrote, "Courageous Dreaming" again supports this idea based on his research, here is a talk about it: www.openexchange.org...

Here is a conversation on TED where someone is asking the big question if reality is a dream.
www.ted.com...

Just more food for thought.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

Yes it could be I reckon, but its the biggest dream show in town, for now anyway.

It's astronomical... but wonderful and frightening all in the same.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Sly1one

If reality is a dream...I better start honing my lucid dreaming skills...who knows maybe one day I'll be able to fly like I do when I'm in a lucid dream state.

I think dreams are a great metaphor for life in some ways...I'm not sure they are the same thing though. I mean you kinda have to have a non-dreaming state of consciousness from which to even understand the concept of a dream in the first place...no?
edit on 2-10-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

Unless the larger consciousness system changes the rule-set I don't think we will be able to fly here like we do in other dreams. The fact we have all these different sub-dreams which allow for pretty much anything we can imagine seems to beg the answer as to why this big dream has so many constraints otherwise it would loose it's context and it's genre so to speak would be blurred with other genre's of reality.

Like movies or video games, I believe reality such as this Earth system and human life is a very well-defined idea. If we switch into other reality frames the genre changes, the content changes but one fact always remains the same, they are all ideas organized into experiences for us, the dreamer/observer.

Reality is a massive astronomical system; and we are reality.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Captain Reynolds

In answer to your question: I don't believe there is any completely accurate way to test whether this is all a dream. It could be such a convincing one that there is no way to tell.

I derived my own system; which involved two very important focus states.

1.) Being lucid in a dream.
2.) That dream is a precognitive one.

Not every dream we have relates to precognition; however we can and are part of this particular band of dreaming which deals with the objective world. Having non-lucid precognition is fine to see in action how dreams and reality have a relationship and presents the dualism between dreams and reality.

When you actually change a dream that is precognitive and the changes happen here in this waking reality. You now have successfully tested the hypothesis and I have done just that enough times to satisfy my curiosity and provide that keen and valuable insight that this reality is derived from the process of dreaming period.

How that can translate scientifically I don't know but then I had the questions and needed the answers with enough skill in dreaming to get that data so I could live and breath the results.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join