It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Physical Reality really be a Dream?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Are you having a dream that lasts a lifetime? Can reality be universal dream of a cosmic mind? What if the answer is yes?

If this reality was some type of dream, then there should be some evidence which shows a relationship between the dream world and the waking world. The first red-flag that comes to mind is directly connected to something known as "Precognitive Dreaming". The idea of precognition spans the written record and Aristotle in 350B.C.E wrote a paper entitled, "On Prophesying by Dreams" classics.mit.edu... where he debated the notion that people in his time were describing having these types of dreams.

Read More: you-are-dreaming.blogspot.ca...

This article takes a very deep look at the possibility that we could all be existing in a dream that lasts a lifetime. Well, how would you know if this were true? How can we test it?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Well, when we are dreaming we act as if that is the norm.
My opinion is not that this waking 'reality' is a dream, but that this 'reality' is just like a dream.(subtle difference.) Dreaming is a form of Consciousnees. So is right now. All just a type of 'dream' or perception. Equal but different.
But equal.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

taoistguy

Well, when we are dreaming we act as if that is the norm.
My opinion is not that this waking 'reality' is a dream, but that this 'reality' is just like a dream.(subtle difference.) Dreaming is a form of Consciousnees. So is right now. All just a type of 'dream' or perception. Equal but different.
But equal.

Based on how I experience reality and this is very systematic with my dreaming also; I can see how this reality and dreams are an interconnected system where consciousness at a deeper level produces "reality" experiences which are dreams with a higher fidelity than our mini-dreams.

Why I look at dreams as a type of language is that they simply are. This reality itself is a type of language spoken by "reality" to each of us. A very complex dialect of experiential existence.

Why is this reality a dream? For it to be so relies on the assumption that awareness evolved its ability to think ie dream at a much larger scale as to create and produce something as exact and complex as physical reality including all the actors.

Certainly we see this idea alive in certain esoteric believes like the Veda's who see Brahma who is dreaming and we are part of that dream. This idea also falls into Buddhist belief and other native beliefs such as the Australian aboriginals.

Where we fall asleep and have mini-dreams; the Universe itself produces the big dreams in a much higher resolution and fidelity.

I could be wrong, I could be right. It's interesting none-the-less to think deeply about the nature of reality and our relationship with it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I don't think it can be understood by trying to find any 'logic' to it, but rather by meditationary methods.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I was shown a dream lab scenario. Rows and rows of people, millions in a craft, projecting in. Some family was there.

www.spaceandmotion.com...

At the University of Paris a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect performed what may turn out to be one of the most important experiments of the 20th century. There are some who believe his discovery may change the face of science. Aspect and his team discovered that under certain circumstances subatomic particles are able to instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance separating them. It doesn't matter whether they are 10 feet or 10 billion miles apart. Somehow each particle always seems to know what the other is doing.

GH - This is correct because matter is actually large, as a Spherical Standing Wave in Space (rather than a 'particle') thus is always continuously connected to all other matter in the Universe by its In and Out Waves.

This meant that either Einstein's long-held theory that no communication can travel faster than the speed of light or the two particles are non-locally connected. Because most physicists are opposed to admitting faster-than-light processes into physics, this daunting prospect has caused some physicists to try to come up with elaborate ways to explain away Aspect's findings. But it has inspired others to offer even more radical explanatio....

One of Bohm's most startling assertions is that the tangible reality of our everyday lives is really a kind of illusion, like a holographic image. Underlying it is a deeper order of existence, a vast and more primary level of reality that gives birth to all the objects and appearances of our physical world in much the same way that a piece of holographic film gives birth to a hologram.
Bohm calls this deeper level of reality the implicate (which means enfolded or hidden) order, and he refers to our own level or existence as the explicate, or unfolded order. Put another way, electrons and all other particles are no more substantive or permanent then the form a geyser of water takes as it gushes out of a fountain. They are sustained by a constant influx from the implicate order, and when a particle appears to be destroyed, it is not lost. It has merely enfolded back into the deeper order from which it sprang.

As if there is a screen, and all matter, that we think is matter anyway, including our bodies, is a part of this screen, and projection is put on it, from a higher realm.

We project in, and this is akin to a dream school.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

YouAreDreaming

Are you having a dream that lasts a lifetime? Can reality be universal dream of a cosmic mind? What if the answer is yes?

...we could all be existing in a dream that lasts a lifetime. Well, how would you know if this were true? How can we test it?

Well, how could you?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I don't subscribe to the holographic/matrix theory. It is more compex, (or simple), than that. We are not a holgram. We are not some type of computer simulation. Nor are we a 'dream'.
The simulation theory is not to be taken literally or metaphorically; it's just a good analogy for those people obsessed with computers and technology in order to BEGIN to accept the idea and make a START in understanding the Wider Reality.
Same with the 'Dream' concept. Life IS NOT a dream. How we think of a 'dream' is not what it is. And likewise Life is not how we think it is.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Unity_99
I was shown a dream lab scenario. Rows and rows of people, millions in a craft, projecting in. Some family was there.

.. clipped for readability...

As if there is a screen, and all matter, that we think is matter anyway, including our bodies, is a part of this screen, and projection is put on it, from a higher realm.

We project in, and this is akin to a dream school.

I love David Bohm's work, great link. Tell me more about this dream lab scenerio as I am very interested.

When we look at simulation theory physical simply implies rules defined by the simulator so particle interaction uses particle-detection algorithms. We are constrained to a very heavy rule-set in this VR but in our dreams we get to play with God mode and no-clipping mode cheats.

Everything within my life experiences draws forth the conclusion that reality is simply a much more detailed dream than the mini-ones we have; rather a massive shared dream on the cosmic scale.

No doubt due to our ideologies we will have difficulty believing this but in the end, the dreamer awakens.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'd say that "reality" has a couple of things going for it that dreams generally don't. One is a sense of relative permanence. Stick your chewing gum on the bedpost before you go to sleep, and even after an extended period of unconsciousness, it'll pretty much still be there when you wake up. Dreams, on the other hand, tend to vary wildly from night to night, or even within themselves. Stuff vanishes, floats away, people change and morph. It drifts around a lot.

Another thing real reality has that dreams generally don't is consensus. We all dream, but we all dream individually. Unlike in the movie Inception, we don't have people who can bring us all into a common dream where we get different points of view of the same thing happening. We get one point of view of one thing, and that's it.

Of course, a lot of people don't like the idea of a reality that depends so much on consensus, but it really can't be ignored. It means something. If your own perception of reality drifts a little too far away from the consensus, then you're just asking to be locked up as a lunatic or criminal. You could be completely right that there are little pixies flying around giving people good and bad luck, but if you can't show them objectively, then you get labeled a kook. Sorry.

So it helps to at least recognize what other people think is reality, and pretend you go along with it. It'll help keep you out of the asylum or jail.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

this_is_who_we_are
Well, how could you?

I have an old thread where I show some of my alterations to precognitive dream content which came true in this objective physical reality.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You are not going to answer the question if you take local information at face value; including the belief-systems that we are indoctrinated with. You need to come at the question from the dreaming perspective. Get at the data through dreams themselves.

I talk about precognitive dreams as one such avenue of personal exploration to see the covert relationship between dreams and reality. Lucid dreaming also provides another vehicle whereby you can now explore the multi-faceted dream state and conduct experimentation as I have done.

When you have results and data which confirm the hypothesis and the shoe fits, then you have an answer.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

taoistguy
I don't subscribe to the holographic/matrix theory. It is more compex, (or simple), than that. We are not a holgram. We are not some type of computer simulation. Nor are we a 'dream'.
The simulation theory is not to be taken literally or metaphorically; it's just a good analogy for those people obsessed with computers and technology in order to BEGIN to accept the idea and make a START in understanding the Wider Reality.
Same with the 'Dream' concept. Life IS NOT a dream. How we think of a 'dream' is not what it is. And likewise Life is not how we think it is.

I agree that we do not have a clear picture of what life actually is. There is a tremendous amount of theories, beliefs and ideas that shape and form our opinion. If you are following what current trends in quantum physics and results of new experimentation and formulas; it stands clear that physical reality is not as it seems.

I have a thread that covers some of these points in greater detail as to not regurgitate that information over again:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We need to keep asking questions and seeking answers to really find out what's behind the curtain.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Blue Shift
I'd say that "reality" has a couple of things going for it that dreams generally don't. One is a sense of relative permanence. Stick your chewing gum on the bedpost before you go to sleep, and even after an extended period of unconsciousness, it'll pretty much still be there when you wake up. Dreams, on the other hand, tend to vary wildly from night to night, or even within themselves. Stuff vanishes, floats away, people change and morph. It drifts around a lot.

This is true that dreams span a wide range of experiences where our stability when in them cause this consciousness stream effect. We also are subject to continuity problems in that our focus changes, then so does the dream content. This is also an issue of our ability and skill to maintain a more coherent focus on the dream state. Lucid dreaming certainly is one tool we do have to add more structure to the dream content when we are actively engaged in that focus state.

Blue Shift
Another thing real reality has that dreams generally don't is consensus. We all dream, but we all dream individually. Unlike in the movie Inception, we don't have people who can bring us all into a common dream where we get different points of view of the same thing happening. We get one point of view of one thing, and that's it.

Christopher Nolan was a big dream enthusiast and was influenced by already existing ideas in dream culture. If you have ever read Linda Lane Magellon's book, "Mutual Dreaming" where her dream research provided cases where individuals had similar or the same dream content you'd find out that this idea of shared dreaming is not an Inception only idea. Through my years of lucid dream exploration I can say with great satisfaction that I have shared dreams on many occasions with friends.

Blue Shift
Of course, a lot of people don't like the idea of a reality that depends so much on consensus, but it really can't be ignored. It means something. If your own perception of reality drifts a little too far away from the consensus, then you're just asking to be locked up as a lunatic or criminal. You could be completely right that there are little pixies flying around giving people good and bad luck, but if you can't show them objectively, then you get labeled a kook. Sorry.

So it helps to at least recognize what other people think is reality, and pretend you go along with it. It'll help keep you out of the asylum or jail.

The nice thing about dreams is that we all have them. The sad thing is most people do not know how to dream and are frankly, dream illiterate. It is a skill, a discipline and when used correctly can be a vehicle for great insight and truths that you cannot have when over-run by sensory data by being awake.

My views certainly are quite different then the census although many ideas are similarly found in esoteric beliefs and religions. I do not subscribe to those belief-systems although I make note of their ideas and beliefs relative to dreaming as a whole.

Why I don't fear the asylum or being labelled a kook is that the data presented to me through years of lucid dream exploration simply stacks up to draw a bigger picture.

Having changed precognitive dream content and observing those changes take place in this objective reality certainly helped sway my point-of-view that precognitive dreams at least, have a relationship to this reality in a very direct and profound way.

Most recently, having precognitive dreams saved my life. Prevented a terrible car accident which I first experienced in a dream only to change the circumstances of that dream and managed to survive. I've kind of lived what I talk about in terms of my ideas which is quite the ride to say the least.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It really is though. Once you master the art of dream control, you see how it's applicable to waking life.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The Cusp
It really is though. Once you master the art of dream control, you see how it's applicable to waking life.

I agree, and we need to tackle this problem of dream illiteracy as to promote better dreamers within our society. Besides, it's fun and adventurous to lucid dream and explore this other reality of which we are also a part of.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Your dreams are You getting Your "directions" This leads to 'deja vu' becoming "getting an early jump on things". It almost reads as if You are making a reference to using Your "other than conscious mind"? A majority of folks are 'awake' (conscious) Yet are still asleep. Is this what You mean?

namaste

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

YouAreDreaming

The Cusp

I agree, and we need to tackle this problem of dream illiteracy as to promote better dreamers within our society. Besides, it's fun and adventurous to lucid dream and explore this other reality of which we are also a part of.

As I have gotten older my dreams have been less lucid. I used to be able to control many aspects of the dream now I am lucky if I remember them...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Sure, a person could have a dream of a lifetime in under a week of sleep. The brainwaves in a dream are extremely fast, a week long dream could take only twenty minutes. Just think if a person was in a Coma or hibernating. My whole life could be a dream...It feels like it sometimes too.

Maybe I should wake up and see what reality looks like. I suppose when I do I will find everything I worked for was used for medical expenses
I'll just tell the hospital billing unit I have to go back to sleep to earn more cash for the bill
edit on 30-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

LewisStulePhD

Your dreams are You getting Your "directions" This leads to 'deja vu' becoming "getting an early jump on things". It almost reads as if You are making a reference to using Your "other than conscious mind"? A majority of folks are 'awake' (conscious) Yet are still asleep. Is this what You mean?

namaste

Well, there is a lot I would love to say the challenge is finding the best language idioms in which to say it. Our waking mind is very much compartmentalized from other aspects of our larger consciousness system. While it may be awake here in physical reality, it can be fast asleep during dreams however other parts of our awareness which deal with dream content are aware. I'll loosely associate it to Freud's ID, Ego, Super-Ego only to acknowledge that our awareness and consciousness is compartmentalized by design to carry out specific tasks.

Precognitive dream content is elusive for me, so it's hard for me to pinpoint where a precognitive dream begins or ends, or if it's precognitive at all. Generally the reveal happens only after they come true with some exceptions where certain patterns fit and suspicions arise. Having this knowledge has proven useful that I attribute it now to saving my life and the life of my daughter 100%. Some real-life Final Destination stuff right there.

Dreams have come full circle in my life where not only are dreams describing dream content but they are also describing physical content as well. The physical content however is linked to a much larger consciousness system than just our subjective mini-dreams; a larger awareness which we are a sub-set of is doing all the heavy lifting in calculating and processing what validates as human experience.

I do not believe we are separate from this larger consciousness system ergo it's just you/me/us and everyone and everything within a unified field which Carl Jung may have associated with his collective unconscious. I do believe it's a Universal mind of which everything else is simply a sub-set of and not directly separate from.

We do need to as humanity learn to be conscious during sleep, that would be an ideal and noble goal to teach and promote this as a value to everyone. As it is an extension of our-self in another context of reality that as mention goes full circle back into the waking world. We need to as a group progress to a more dream aware and dream fluent society in my opinion. There is a real value there for us all should we take those difficult first steps to get there.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

abeverage

YouAreDreaming

The Cusp

As I have gotten older my dreams have been less lucid. I used to be able to control many aspects of the dream now I am lucky if I remember them...

This is normal, dreams frequency and age studies exist which validate that we do lose control and awareness of our dreams as we mature. I think it's also a product of the fact our society places absolutely no value on dreaming thus it's treated like garbage and disdain by most people. Where as, they throw the baby out with the bathwater I see it's intrinsic value and realize it's very valuable to each of us in ways we can only realize by actually following through and becoming more dream literate.

Once there, it opens many doors. It's wonderful.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

rickymouse

Sure, a person could have a dream of a lifetime in under a week of sleep. The brainwaves in a dream are extremely fast, a week long dream could take only twenty minutes. Just think if a person was in a Coma or hibernating. My whole life could be a dream...It feels like it sometimes too.

Maybe I should wake up and see what reality looks like. I suppose when I do I will find everything I worked for was used for medical expenses
I'll just tell the hospital billing unit I have to go back to sleep to earn more cash for the bill
edit on 30-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

It's one of those wacky sides of the whole reality experience. We live here clinging to the identity and stage of life only to have it strip away to wake up there realizing this was but a dream. I think we can do better, rather then be reactive be proactive during the switch between physical and non-physical come death.

Learning to be conscious in altered states and being self-aware should factor in when we wake up from this dream of a lifetime which ultimately ends as death, but no big deal. We carry on. So bonus.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join