It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army WTF Moments-Sasquatch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This goes up there with the Air Force flyer about general orders and the airman looking at a flying sucer and the Firefighters manual and its chapter on how to deal with a UFO crash

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Druscilla

Well by god, color me a mouth-breather.

Seriously, that post was insulting to a large number of people.
Well done.

I am also of the opinion that Sasquatch could be real.
My sighting was extraordinary. But I do leave plenty of room that my eyes were deceived. Regardless, an awful lot of people report seeing them.

I certainly wouldn't call such people idiots.

Not idiots but either mistaken or uneducated.

There is no evidence to support Sasquatch in the fossil record ( Gigantopithecus does not count. It lived half way around the world in tropical southeast Asia and has been extinct for hundreds of thousands of years.)

All of the worlds primates originated from tropical climates. Temperate forests such as the Pacific northwest are a much more hostile climate than some believe which is why bears hibernate through the winter.

Nearly every square foot of forest has been harvested at some point, often twice in the last 150 years. The few stands of old growth left see more visitors than anywhere.The mountains are crawling with people year round yet nobody has ever found a single bone, scat pile or den as evidence.

All animals make a measurable impact on their environment in some way yet the only quantifiable data to support Sasquatch are lots of claims and hearsay regarding "unknown" primate dna that when closely scrutinised is more correctly "inconclusive" which means the DNA lab could not extract anything worthwhile.

No roadkill, ever. Because there are people literally everywhere there are roads everywhere. Biologists use roadkill statistics to track populations of reclusive species such as wolverines.

The data that has been entered into the record supports misidentification and hoaxes. The best piece of photographic record, the Patterson Gimlin film is even an admitted hoax from both the guy that made the suit and the guy that wore it.

Regarding misidentification, ever seen the three legged bear video?...

I live in the rural Pacific Northwest. My opinions are a matter of personal observation, not second hand hearsay.

It might make some angry but after 50 years in popular culture the best anybody has to show are blurry photos, tree tapping and plaster casts of soil indentations whose commonality ends at being larger than human.

Laughably for the author of the document referenced in this thread, somebody will jump on this as well and interpret the Sasquatch reference in the Army survival document as some sort of proof as seen in the post above.

Honestly, for anyone who believes Sasquatch is more likely than somebody in the U.S. Army having a sense of humor, the Santa analogy is fitting.
edit on 20-7-2013 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NAVO66

"The Army isn't exactly renown for enlisting intellectual juggernauts. Too many red neck back-woods raised hillbilly servicemen may be of the habit and policy of "what is it? I dunno, let's shoot it". "

Do you have experience or sources that indicate these feeble minded idiots (as you seem to imply) will actually discharge thier weapon without the authority given to do so? While there are people in the military who might not be as intellectually gifted as you think you are. They are trained as best as possible not to just start blasting away and shooting things in the woods just because they get surprised by something they can't identify. Apparently being a part of a military organization is not in your area of expertise and you shouldn't be making comments like that if your not qualified.

I find your high brow attitude tiresome.

Tell me why then it actually needs to be pointed out and put on record that no one is to feed, tease, harass, or fraternize with any wild animal?
Hmm?

Please, tell us why there are any rules or manuals with blatantly obvious statements and guidelines if it wasn't for the fact that such rules, statements and guidelines were absolutely necessary in keeping the lowest common denominators within the service personnel demographic from actually expressing actions and activities lowest common denominator types might enact?

Those of you getting all indignant and offended need consider these rules aren't there for those that don't need to be told, but are there for those that HAVE to be told.

I'm NOT talking about people that scored 90+ AFQT on their ASVAB that might actually have some sense and spark.

The fact that I even have to point this out, that I'm not talking about ALL military servicemen, in a way, even supports my earlier statement. I mean, do I really HAVE to say any of this that I'm NOT talking about everyone in the military? Really?

Let me repeat, those rules are there for those that HAVE to be told.
Not everyone requires the same treatment, but, in catering to the lowest common denominator, everyone gets the same treatment.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

First of all, they are reported all over the world, not just the Pacific Northwest. So being from Oregon or wherever does not make you an authority on the matter.
I saw something I cannot explain readily. With a witness. I have gone over it in my head many times since that day some 17 years ago.
1. Cougar?
2. Bear?
3. Deer / elk?
4. Sasquatch.

It always comes back to that. Number four. I don't give two damns if you think that makes me uneducated, or as Dru would call me a slack-jawed hillbilly.

We have lots of virgin forest here in Arkansas. Some of those trees in my profile picture are junipers that are close to 1,000 years old. The fact that people haven't seen them more often out there could easily mean that the squatch is ELUSIVE. Speaking of elusive...how many times have you walked up on a bear? A badger? A raccoon?

Again, I am not claiming to know for certain, but I acknowledge the possibility.

Roads all over the place huh? How many bear are killed on the roads?
I bet the answer is not too many, cuz bears are smart. See where I am going here?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

had made the comment bury their dead, which made me think of those giant skeletons that have been dug up in various places around the world

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Most of the rules and regs in the military are there so the military can punish people who commit the offense in question. Not to protect the service member.
Some people get their kicks by handling wild animals.

Ever seen that show Call of the Wildman? That guy is crazy as hell, and yes, he is the stereotypical "hillbilly" type. But he is also VERY good at what he does and is by NO STRETCH an idiot, ma'am.

ETA: about the rules. As it reads it lacks relevence. I don't see it for "common denominator" stuff more as I see it as typical government red-tape meant as a means of controlling the troops. They couldn't possibly care less if you are mauled by a cougar. They just want to be able to deny you disability claim in case you are.

Are there idiots in the military? Yes, but that goes without saying. Every group has them.
edit on 20-7-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Roads all over the place huh? How many bear are killed on the roads?
I bet the answer is not too many, cuz bears are smart. See where I am going here?

People are smarter than bears, how many pedestrians die on the roads each year?

Oddest thing with your example, I know somebody who hit a bear in his truck when it tried to bolt across the road between two vehicles a couple of years ago.

Racoons are an urban species here, we surprise deer pilfering our garden often and my wife has a pretty good story involving a cougar cub and it's mother that she surprised.

No Sasquatch though...

What did you think of the three legged bear video?

Had I had seen that and not gotten a clear look at the bear, I would have sworn for the rest of my life I had seen something extraordinary as well.

It wouldn't make it true or me a liar, just that I was mistaken.

By the way, Sasquatch is a native word from a western Washington tribe. Its modern connotation was coined by a guy in British Columbia. There are more sighting here than the rest of the world combined.

See where I'm going with this? (
)
edit on 20-7-2013 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DonVoigt
reply to post by Pixiefyre

had made the comment bury their dead, which made me think of those giant skeletons that have been dug up in various places around the world

You mean the ones that have been proven as hoaxes?

The National Geographic Society has not discovered ancient giant humans, despite rampant reports and pictures.

The hoax began with a doctored photo and later found a receptive online audience—thanks perhaps to the image's unintended religious connotations.

A digitally altered photograph created in 2002 shows a reclining giant surrounded by a wooden platform—with a shovel-wielding archaeologist thrown in for scale.

By 2004 the "discovery" was being blogged and emailed all over the world—"Giant Skeleton Unearthed!"—and it's been enjoying a revival in 2007.

The photo fakery might be obvious to most people. But the tall tale refuses to lie down even five years later, if a continuing flow of emails to National Geographic News are any indication. (The National Geographic Society owns National Geographic News.)

The messages come from around the globe—Portugal, India, El Salvador, Malaysia, Africa, the Dominican Republic, Greece, Egypt, South Africa, Kenya. But they all ask the same question: Is it true?...

National Geographic/"Skeleton of Giant" Is Internet Photo Hoax

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I can't view the video for some reason. It gives a network error [400] message.

But...of course a bear has crossed my mind for what I saw. But it was then dismissed.

At any rate, I respect your opinion, but I do not respect name calling.
My question about spooking animals was not one of an animal coming to snoop through your garbage can, and I think you know that.

The question was meant to be, "how many times have you just lumbered up on a bear IN THE WOODS".

I bet not very often is the answer. 90 some odd percent of the time they know you are there long before you see them and they vacate the area.

So to say that if there was a giant ape in the deep wilderness it should be seen all the time simply isn't true. People used to think of gorillas as cryptids as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No worries though, Dru.
I'm not above slingin' insults myself.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The question was meant to be, "how many times have you just lumbered up on a bear IN THE WOODS".

I bet not very often is the answer. 90 some odd percent of the time they know you are there long before you see them and they vacate the area.

Yes it is rare but it does happen.

I know from personal experience the park rangers in Yellowstone go out of there way to advise hikers and fisherman to tie there car keys to their clothing for the purpose of alerting bears to your approach in areas where bears are active.

Personally, I have seen them from a distance and both times the bear ran as soon as it knew we were there.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I will say this.
While it is possible, the probability is very low.
What I saw was most likely a cougar or something and my mind played a cruel trick in me. It all happened very briefly. But the problem is that a friend of mine saw the same thing.

A very tall, hairy man.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I will say this.
While it is possible, the probability is very low.
What I saw was most likely a cougar or something and my mind played a cruel trick in me. It all happened very briefly. But the problem is that a friend of mine saw the same thing.

A very tall, hairy man.

Here is another source for the bear video. If it plays for you the bear stands up and starts walking at about 0:50.

Under the right circumstances and lacking the context of already knowing it is a bear, I think most people would be at a loss to explain what they had just seen without invoking the fantastic.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Yes, I have been in close proximity with bears myself.
I am well aware that they can walk on two legs.
Heck, you can train bears to do all sorts of stuff.
But one thing you will not do is see a bear take of sprinting on two legs.
Very fast too.

Thanks for trying to educate a slack-jawed hillbilly.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
don't have a source but I remember reading a few years ago about squatch sightings in and around the Quantico Marine base. apparently there were so many sightings they had to put an ordr out not to shoot them. one lieutenant complained that spy need only put on an ape suit and nobody would harass him.

ah, I finded a source
www.cryptomundo.com...

edit on 20-7-2013 by works4dhs because: add useful linque

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Thats pretty cool. One a separate off topic note, I wonder if the cub will grow up to do the same thing as its mother did there. Not just get on two legs to look around, but actually take off like it did.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You mean that one photo that's a proven hoax. There are very real, unusually large skeletons out there that have yet to be scientifically analyzed. Several enormous skulls are housed at the Humboldt Museum in Winnemucca, Nevada that were found in the nearby Lovelock Cave. This cave is a confirmed Paiute archaeological site with thousands of artifacts recorded. Paiute legends tell of another tribe in this area known as the Si-Te-Cah, who were described as tall, red-haired cannibals. The Paiute wiped them out by driving them into Lovelock Cave and setting a fire at the mouth of the cave.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

The Army isn't exactly renown for enlisting intellectual juggernauts. Too many red neck back-woods raised hillbilly servicemen may be of the habit and policy of "what is it? I dunno, let's shoot it".

No this, is a WTF moment.

Seems as if they gave Sasquatch the exact same rating as they gave to the mountain lion.
Both ARE listed as examples of rare species sightings they're encouraging soldiers to report.
In other words if you see one ? You're not los'in your mind. Report it.
edit on 21-7-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

No you are wrong again. Rules and regulations in military manuals are conceived by a higher committee within the chain of command in order to cover all contingencies (or at least as many as they can think of). These rules and regulations are ment for EVERYONE not just the lowest common denominator, because even the best of us can't get everything right 100 % of the time. The lowest common denominator probably wouldn't even read the regs anyway.

The army takes endangered species on their property very very seriously. I once witnessed an armored brigade stop in its tracks during a live fire excercise at the national training center in California because an endangered ground tortoise was reported in the area. Over a hundred tactical vehicles were not allowed to move until the tortoise was found and relocated out of the range.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

People are smarter than bears

Debatable, I bet they have a lot more common sense though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join