It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Americans Will Continue to Support a Corrupt Government

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

I know and understand where you coming from very well and also that the last lines in my prior response sounds very "childish" in the fact that it's a impossible scenerio. I just never let go of that inner-child in me that wishes upon a star now and again~

And thank you for keeping a lookout for what I am also

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Bread and Circuses.

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion; distraction; or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace,[1] as an offered "palliative." Juvenal decried it as a simplistic motivation of common people.[2][3][4] The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man.

In modern usage, the phrase is taken to describe a populace that no longer values civic virtues and the public life. To many across the political spectrum, left and right, it connotes a supposed triviality and frivolity that characterized the Roman Republic prior to its decline into the autocratic monarchy characteristic of the later Roman Empire's transformation about 44 B.C.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Those that fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it."
-Said some Vulcan or Klingon guy.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I believe there's a similar feeling of anger and resentment towards the government today in the US. I also think very little will come of it. Here's why.
Return to the New England community for a moment. People are angry and fed up. So what do they do? They get together and talk, make plans, decide together what will be the final straw. These people did not possess the plethora of "entertainment" that we do today to divert their attention. They kept their anger and convictions alive simply because there was no way to forget it.

I, as a foreign observer, should say that many people in many countries have not such "entertainment" regime.
this is a hypothesis. since, USA is a special power with all it's characteristics.
so by your logic, many countries should move towards a revolution, because they lack entertainment.
but we are witnessing the Occupy Wall Street movement in USA.
and every country has their own elites and corrupted systems, but has the British people changed anything ?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by alldaylong

Is The US a better place now, than if it had stayed under British rule and never gained independence?

That is the question you need to ask yourselves.

Of course it is!

England (Europe in general) is the birthplace of tyranny and corruption.

If you really believe that then i advise you revisit history. Tyranny was alive and well in ancient Egypt 3500 years ago. Slave ownership anyone?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

To be honest i think most of the masses are so complaisant they really dont care sadly, very scary. It seems its only the smart people that are left that are actually mad and want to do something.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I share the same feelings as you, people in general are totally immersed in their own selves and in pointless entertainment. They want to keep themselves ignorant EVEN if they're shown all the government's corruption and lies.

It really gets to me, seeing people shrug it off like it was some sort of alternate reality that doesn't apply to them. Guess what sheeple, you're dangerous to our freedoms and liberties because you keep yourself willfully ignorant! Hate to quote The Matrix, but it's so fitting for the times we live in...

"The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work… when you go to church… when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth. … That you are a slave, [your name here]. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Born into a prison that you cannot smell or taste or touch. A prison for your mind."

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by maes2

I believe there's a similar feeling of anger and resentment towards the government today in the US. I also think very little will come of it. Here's why.
Return to the New England community for a moment. People are angry and fed up. So what do they do? They get together and talk, make plans, decide together what will be the final straw. These people did not possess the plethora of "entertainment" that we do today to divert their attention. They kept their anger and convictions alive simply because there was no way to forget it.

I, as a foreign observer, should say that many people in many countries have not such "entertainment" regime.
this is a hypothesis. since, USA is a special power with all it's characteristics.
so by your logic, many countries should move towards a revolution, because they lack entertainment.
but we are witnessing the Occupy Wall Street movement in USA.
and every country has their own elites and corrupted systems, but has the British people changed anything ?

I'm not completely sure I understand your question, but I'll try. Clarify for me if I completely miss the mark.

A revolution is a very rare thing....a revolution that succeeds is even more rare. For a mass revolution in the US to occur, we would need several things.

1.). A cry to arms.....basically, an event that breaks the proverbial Carmel's back for the majority of the people. A possible example might be if it was conclusively determined the government was involved in 9/11... But in my personal opinion it will have to be something far worse. Like losing the entire power grid, a nuclear incident, something along that mass scale.

2.). A leader(s). Someone to take charge, to strategize, to sway the masses. A George Washington, if you will. Without an effective leadership and long term planning, an angry mob is just that...an angry mob.

3). Financial backing. If it weren't for the French, the colonials would never have succeeded in the Revolutionary War. We are in the same situation today...those in control have all the weapons, power, money, and influence. Not to mention the technology, which I'm sure is far more advanced than what we civilians have. Without the support, materials, and help of another superpower, a revolt in the US will never succeed.

This is why the Occuppy Movement ultimately will not change much. Don't get me wrong, I think the protests are great and economic boycotts can be very effective. But in the end, going up against the US government and truly changing things will have to be done a different way.

How? I have no idea.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

If you really believe that then i advise you revisit history. Tyranny was alive and well in ancient Egypt 3500 years ago. Slave ownership anyone?

My ancestors didn’t come from Egypt.

For my ancestors, tyranny began in Europe.

Your post suggests had Americans only continued under the heavy hand of the KING we’d be better off now. That, sir or ma’am, is ridiculous. Look at the giant police state in UK today. Europe is a pathetic example of freedom and prosperity. In UK, people can't even walk 5 feet without a Big Brother camera following their every move, and people aren't even trusted with a firearm for personal defense. Where is your constitution "of, by and for the people"??

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Your post suggests had Americans only continued under the heavy hand of the KING we’d be better off now.

My post didn't suggest that at all? If you read it how it was meant to be read then all will become clear. The OP was stating what a mess The US had become. I was suggesting if it was any better today than when it was under British rule.
And you DID state tyranny began in Europe, when i showed that it didn't. You are doing a very good job of confusing yourself

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

My post didn't suggest that at all? If you read it how it was meant to be read then all will become clear. The OP was stating what a mess The US had become. I was suggesting if it was any better today than when it was under British rule.

Yes….I got that part. No confusion here.

IMO your question was suggestive.

And you DID state tyranny began in Europe, when i showed that it didn't. You are doing a very good job of confusing yourself

As I stated, tyranny did begin in Europe for our forefathers. I don’t think the Boston Tea Party was directed at the Pharaohs.

Try and follow along…

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yes….I got that part. No confusion here.

IMO your question was suggestive.

As I stated, tyranny did begin in Europe for our forefathers. I don’t think the Boston Tea Party was directed at the Pharaohs.

Try and follow along…

I am following along quite well thank you.

I will repeat what you stated, which was:-

England (Europe in general) is the birthplace of tyranny and corruption.

For something to be described as "The Birthplace" it intimates that it is the "Beginning"

Tyranny didn't begin in Europe as you well know.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
nah i think there are a few reasons:

1. we have learned to make changes in other ways than killing each other.
2. we don't want to end up like the arab spring countries. doesn't take much to extrapolate what would happen
here if we had an uprising.
3. we tend to like our neighbors and prefer not to see them sprawled out, dead on the street just because we may not see eye to eye on any particular topic

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
the problem is isolation between factions who agree that something is terribly wrong all round.

not much is going to change when that means to change is isolated

also there is nothing to change for a lot of people right now, they are comfortable and that's all that matters to them.

it's the culture that's been artificially created to imprison minds. they will work to be enslaved.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think I can sum it up very succintly: Patriotic indoctrination and comfortability, but mostly comfortability.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
arguing that is comfort that keeps people from wanting to be slaughtered by a multinational war machine is like saying it is breathing that keeps people from wanting to drown.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

When the US dollar collapses by years end, and the panic, fear and rage spreads around the country with people seeing their entire life savings wiped out and no more left to buy food or fuel for their cars, then you will see the average american turn into an enraged HULK. What this monster times 100 million will do at that time only the gods know. But I can promise you the streets will flow with blood (presumably the blood of the elite being hunted down).

Hug you closed ones...there is not much time left. Every remaining month or week counts before pure hell breaks loose.
edit on 24-6-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I believe the government knows this. Which is why we're frogs in a pot of slowly warming water.

Why cold blooded frog ?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

Bazinga John! Yahtzee? Bingo? Correctamundo? Hit the nail on the head! Good show ol sport!

Once a collapse happens... All bets are off and John is right on the money....

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I know one thing;
I support the United States of America.

It seems everyone just loves to bad mouth the U.S.A.,
as if the majority of other places really have it any better.
I don't want to see any statistics, or what have you...
But when people think of the United States they think of power;
an Imperial force to be reckoned with.

I swear, these days it's the U.S. against the world.
But honestly, when has it ever been any different?

The U.S. has its allies, and its enemies -
some of these enemies, are turning about to be our very own citizens.
__

Now we have the 'privacy' scandals.
The fiasco never ends.

If I was in charge, I would probably want to 'spy' on the masses too.

With all of the 'anti American' rhetoric being spread around.
I can absolutely see why the powers that be, would consider using secretive surveillance tactics to identify potential threats.

One of you fools might go out and try to blow something up.
furthering your agenda, of trying to stop your overlords from completing theirs. Lol.
edit on 24-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
With all of the 'anti American' rhetoric being spread around.
I can absolutely see why the powers that be, would consider using secretive surveillance tactics to identify potential threats.

dude the Americans are spreading it around themselves just by the way they act.

the only potential threats are to them and their system, and rightly so,
they don't care about anything else but maintaining their power through it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join