It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher "(2nd Amendment) just as obsolete as the 4th"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

It is about propagandizing the stupid. That is who Bill Maher is. That is what he does.

It is amazing to me that people still listen to his drivel.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted

Funny, that's precisely how I feel about the Pope, the President, the Queen, or anyone else you've been led to believe is "better" than you.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Manufactured outrage

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
What power does a constitution hold if people don't accept every part of it, it just becomes another set of laws that change on the government and peoples whims, it becomes a useless piece of paper that might as well be burned in the trash. people who say such things in their desire to turn this country into what they see as ideal, what their feelings and emotions dictate as right, will be the reason why America will turn into a true imperial fascist republic that it has yet to become, that we've only seen hints of, they will be the end of any freedoms and rights that we still possess.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Of course you did, lately, that's all people can react with, outrage.

classic eye roll emote to make the following point seem obvious. seriously. you're reacting to a reaction with sarcasm, and ONLY sarcasm. you didn't even make a point with it.

OMG, an American with a TV show and no actual political power had an opinion different from yours, it must be the dismantling of America!

yes, because a show broadcast to millions of people has no influence or power.

Uh huh? So, when the GOP passed the Patriot Act, that was all well and good, but an American TV show host states an opinion and he's now Un-American.

when did anyone in this thread state that the patriot act was a good thing? it infringes on the same rights the host calls "obsolete", so logic would dictate that someone who dislikes the host's comment would also dislike the patriot act. think before typing. if i had to guess you're not as anti-political as you claim and took offense to a negative comment about the left. (by the way, there is no left or right)

What's the problem? The GOP has used the fear card for years, oh, is it that now the other side is using it too so now it's time to be outraged by it?

definitely not as anti political as you claim. using common reason it's obvious that the poster doesn't support the patriot act (something that started under bush, and was expanded under obama using the fear card). the two party system is a lie.

Damn, goodwins law invoked post 1. Good job there. Might as well reach the lowest common denominator right off the bat right?

this made me laugh out loud. it's "godwin's law" not goodwin's, and he posited only that if a conversation on the internet went on long enough, eventually something would be related to the nazi's or hitler. it in no way invalidates the point being made, a subtlety overlooked by people with no real arguments or counters of their own.

It's his opinion, he's entitled to it (much to your dismay apparently) You, of course are free to be "outraged" by his expression of that opinion, just as many conservatives are "outraged" by anything that isn't far right in this country anymore.

no, he actually isn't entitled to this opinion. he's using an amendment (the first, free speech if you've forgotten) to attack the second and fourth amendments, which are used to hold up and enforce the first amendment. one can have an opinion so long as it does not violate the rights of others. here he is using his opinion to suggest that we violate everyone else's rights. highly illogical and hypocritical.

Do I agree with Maher's opinion? No, I don't, but I'm not going to be outraged by it. I reserve outrage for things that really make me mad, like genocides, and human trafficking.

err...so your post was about what? hating on the GOP exclusively (in defense of the left) while claiming to be anti political, and mocking another poster over semantics. specifically their use of "outrage" over "disagree".

Should we be happy with what the government is doing? Of course not. We of course have a system in place to fix that, it's called elections, and if you don't believe they work, ask the TEA Party members of congress.

we have a system that is clearly broken beyond repair with the system's own tools. time to reformat the hard drive and install a new OS.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I can't believe the nonsense of the Amendment believers, are you kidding? most amendments are a joke. but back to topic. The 2nd, right? how many guns can you really buy to the excess of tanks the military has. We are fighting the government and the military follows, I mean Iraq and everything else that doesn't make sense war wise, anyway going back to topic.

get as many guns as you want, can you afford drones with fire power yet?

thats what he means, it not personal, but if you look at threads earlier looking at Alex jones go nuts.... you sound the same.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by centhwevir1979

couldn't agree with you more.

I figured out a long time ago that no one is better than me.

were pretty much all scum.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Diisenchanted

It is about propagandizing the stupid. That is who Bill Maher is. That is what he does.

It's hard to disagree with you here, I personally find Maher to be tedious, especially his anti religion ideology. Personally I don't much care for organized religion myself. But I won't demean anyone for believing in the deity of their choice.

It's amazing to me that people still listen to Limbaugh and Hannity, but they do. To each their own I guess.

reply to post by Bob Sholtz

classic eye roll emote to make the following point seem obvious. seriously. you're reacting to a reaction with sarcasm, and ONLY sarcasm. you didn't even make a point with it.

Because that's all people seem to do nowadays, overreact with OUTRAGE over every single little thing that even slightly irks them or their sensibilities. It's manufactured outrage.

yes, because a show broadcast to millions of people has no influence or power.

It has no power, influence maybe, but power? No, sorry, his "New Rules" segment isn't actually laws people have to follow.

(by the way, there is no left or right)

Actually there is, not everyone has the same political leanings, it flows along a political spectrum, some people are certainly more progressive than others, I personally don't agree with say the Westboro Baptist Church or the KKK, which are on the extreme far right side of the spectrum, alternatively, I also don't agree with PETA or the Black Panther Party.

Now, you might have a point the higher up the political power ladder you go, the line between progressive and conservative does tend to get very fuzzy, but the people of this nation do tend to fall somewhere on the political spectrum between left and right.

I consider myself somewhere in the middle, but in today's political climate anyone who isn't far right is generally viewed as a leftist progressive.

no, he actually isn't entitled to this opinion. he's using an amendment (the first, free speech if you've forgotten) to attack the second and fourth amendments, which are used to hold up and enforce the first amendment. one can have an opinion so long as it does not violate the rights of others. here he is using his opinion to suggest that we violate everyone else's rights. highly illogical and hypocritical.

In no way does it mean that anyone should have to follow him. It doesn't stop anyone from buying a gun, nor does it in any way take away anyone's rights to be free from illegal searches and seizures. Once again, his "New Rules" segment aren't actual "Laws" that anyone has to follow.

err...so your post was about what? hating on the GOP exclusively (in defense of the left) while claiming to be anti political, and mocking another poster over semantics. specifically their use of "outrage" over "disagree".

There is a major difference between disagreement and outrage.

we have a system that is clearly broken beyond repair with the system's own tools. time to reformat the hard drive and install a new OS.

I think these people would disagree with you.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

I think the Patriot Act was the worst thing to happen to America and was the beginning of the erosion of our 4th amendment rights protecting us from illegal searches and seizures. And I also believe this is exactly what Maher he was pointing out. What might be reasonable and warranted on the boarders is not alright within the country and yet everyone is subjected to illegal strip searches and invasions of privacy when traveling. Every time I stand in those lines at the airport I know this isn't the America I grew up in. Bill Maher often uses sarcasm to wake people up and get them thinking about what is really happening. With the threats to the 2nd amendment piling on top, I don't for a minute think he is advocating for this kind of America, or taking our Constitutional freedoms lightly. I think he is pointing out, in his way, we are losing those protections, little by little and one at a time.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

OMG, an American with a TV show and no actual political power had an opinion different from yours, it must be the dismantling of America!

So only politicians yield political power? Access to voice your opinion to a mass audience IS political power.

And indicating that certain lawful Amendments to the US Constitution, the framework of how America is suppose to operate, are obsolete is advocating the dismantling of America, isn't it? I mean spying on any and all Americans for no good reason isn't very American is it? Seems like a very Gestapo-espe tactic if you ask me.

Being blissfully ignorant of recent history is wonderful thing...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I guess I'm still confused by the outrage over all of this.
This leak is nothing new. It's been going on for longer than a decade. Watching the Patriot Act debates in Congress years ago would have revealed all of this same info.
Nothing new here. Just some turd named Snowden trying to live in Wikileaks shadow.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

So only politicians yield political power? Access to voice your opinion to a mass audience IS political power.

Once again, because you apparently missed it. The "New Rules" segment of Maher's show doesn't really mean there are new laws on the books because he pulls something out of his behind.

He has political influence certainly, but political power? Absolutely not.

And indicating that certain lawful Amendments to the US Constitution, the framework of how America is suppose to operate, are obsolete is advocating the dismantling of America, isn't it?

Not really, see above, political influence does not equate to political power.

I mean spying on any and all Americans for no good reason isn't very American is it? Seems like a very Gestapo-espe tactic if you ask me.

I'm not saying I agree with what he said at all (because I don't). All I am saying is that he has the right to say it, and the OP feigning outrage over his OPINION is over the top.

I swear, some people have got to learn to read.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

He has political influence certainly, but political power? Absolutely not.

Ask Rush Limbaugh, he is not a politician but yields an immense amount of influence over politicians doe to his access and influence millions of registered voters. This gives him political power.

How about Washington lobbyists? They are not politicians but through their influence yield a tremendous amount of power. Monsanto lobbyists are a great example.

Influence is most certainly power, they are not separate forces. Political Influence is more valuable than gold in this nation.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

Lobbyists, Maher, Limbaugh, while having a lot of political influence don't have power, do you know why?

Because they can't actually pass laws, only elected officials can pass laws. Do you see the difference?

Yes, political influence can be worth more than gold, but it's worthless if you don't have the politicians to back you up.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
just to celebrate I changed my facebook profile picture to one of me running around naked in my backyard
if we all cared so much we would delete all our internet accounts and never turn it back on

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

So I guess he won't mind if a republican president comes after Obama & uses the obsolete amendment to target him come tax time. If the Patriot Act made him Rant & Rave over Bush then he should have atleast been bothered by one of these... Prism, Benghazi, Fast & Furious, Harassing & spying on journalist, increased Drone use, Guantanamo staying open & watching uncharged prisoners starve themselves for months while your president is playing Golf in Hawaii, the IRS playing school yard Bully, Half the Tsa using equipment to see what you children have underneath their clothes, while the other half sleep on post, an alarming rate of Military rapes going unnoticed, and then the Usual Topics that you always seem to point out .... Economy, employment, spending, increasing deficit, wasteful spending, bribes, backroom deals, & the least Transparent government since you been alive. The last few we could forget about since were so up to our heels in scandals we almost forget they have caused a never ending erosion of our country as a whole. To Sum It UP... Bill Maher never really had Convictions or Core Beliefs. He's a propaganda puppet who uses a Pretty good comic approach. and now what I feared to be true has come to light. Obama's wanker feels so good up his butt, he's scared to say anything that will remove it from his GloryHole. Or, he's a Paid State Run tool used to brainwash sheep who need constant tending.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Should we be happy with what the government is doing? Of course not. We of course have a system in place to fix that, it's called elections, and if you don't believe they work, ask the TEA Party members of congress.

You came across as pretty intelligent up until this point

Elections? Right, so you can cheer lead for the next criminal to take over and expand the security state for his corporate buddies just a little more?

I guess you haven't been paying attention for the last ten years or so. Bush created the Patriot Act, something most sane Americans disagreed with and predicted would be abused. Then, in response to that (here comes your ever-so-hopeful "elections" bit) America elected a man who stood on a platform of "hope", "change", "honesty", and "rolling back" the totalitarian state Bush had been building. So you cheered that, voted him in, then watched as he went to kiss the ass of the CIA, as he expanded the surveillance state, as he put the CIA assassination program on steroids and killed hundreds more on foreign soil... and now we have these new revelations too.

And this is what your pathetic "voting' got you, more of the same BS puppet show, more of the performance to keep you divided and distracted long enough to install another piece of legislation removing more of your rights.

I never trusted the right, and after the first term of Obama I didn't trust him either. After this last week, I wouldn't trust a single politician to make any decision in the best interests of the public. Even if they're not corrupt, they could easily be controlled by any one of the PRIVATE contractors who have seemingly had their fingers in the NSA pie.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Guys it's like this:Think of Bill and Rush as professional trollers.They get their juice from making us emotional and thats good for media.Assessing their shows for legitimate information isn't a good idea without research. But that goes for ALL media now.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The only good thing about Bill Maher is that he is supposedly an animal lover and advocate . Other than that he is a completely useless embarrassment to our country and entertainment industry.
edit on 10-6-2013 by Hendrick99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
At one time I would watch Bill cause I wanted a good laugh mixed with a little honesty and reality. This here changes what positive views that I had of him. I mean, there is plenty that he has said that I don't agree with over the years, but I always thought that he had good intentions.

I enjoyed 'Real Time', cause Bill is an intelligent guy. Unfortunately, I now realize that he's just another liar running around in circles like all of the Government puppets, and that his intelligence is now obviously being used to deceive us all about the fact that yes we do still have Constitutional rights. Apparently Bill thinks otherwise though.

Idiots like Bill are shooting themselves in the foot and they will go down the poop tube along with their masters like Obama and Holder. Bill Maher? LMAO! Your career will soon be done because your arrogance prevented your wit from saving you. Now just shut up little man, at this point even those of us who were loyal to your shows are absolutely disgusted with your high and mighty position.

Hey Billy boy You're now absolutely nothing anymore because you stand for absolutely nothing anymore. You're a joke Bill. Just shut up and go away you fraud. ~$heopleNation

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join